Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile layout

In my no tube small bathroom I have 32 inches from one wall to the
other wall and I have 12 inch ceramic tiles that I want to put on the
floor. I assume I need to put the 12 inch tile in the center and cut
the other 2 so I have 10 inch tile on both sides of the center tile.
The floor tiling would be set up like this from the front of the
bathroom to the back:
Front of bathroom - 10 inch tile - 12 inch tile - 10 inch tile - Back
of bathroom

Or do I do it this way:
Front of bathroom - 12 inch tile - 12 inch tile - 8 inch tile - Back
of bathroom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 11:39 am, " wrote:
In my no tube small bathroom I have 32 inches from one wall to the
other wall and I have 12 inch ceramic tiles that I want to put on the
floor. I assume I need to put the 12 inch tile in the center and cut
the other 2 so I have 10 inch tile on both sides of the center tile.

First, you want to measure your tile. Chances are they're 12.25"
including the spacing lugs on each side. If they have no lugs, you
still have to plan for the grout space.

Putting such large tile in such a small bathroom is a matter of
taste. It will make the room look smaller, if you GAS, as opposed to
"traditional" 1" floor tile.

The floor tiling would be set up like this from the front of the
bathroom to the back:
Front of bathroom - 10 inch tile - 12 inch tile - 10 inch tile - Back
of bathroom

Or do I do it this way:
Front of bathroom - 12 inch tile - 12 inch tile - 8 inch tile - Back
of bathroom

Start with whole tiles on the most visible walls (most likely the
entry and on the side opposite the door hinge) and hide the cuts in
the back. It will be extremely helpful if those two most visible
walls are 90° square.

I'd also advise considering removing the toilet rather than cutting
around it.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 1:38*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:39 am, " wrote:

[...]

*-----

- gpsman

Interesting about tile size. You think 12" is too big for such small
bathroom? The original tile I took out was around 7""
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In my no tube small bathroom I have 32 inches from one wall to the
other wall and I have 12 inch ceramic tiles that I want to put on the
floor. I assume I need to put the 12 inch tile in the center and cut
the other 2 so I have 10 inch tile on both sides of the center tile.
The floor tiling would be set up like this from the front of the
bathroom to the back:
Front of bathroom - 10 inch tile - 12 inch tile - 10 inch tile - Back
of bathroom

Or do I do it this way:
Front of bathroom - 12 inch tile - 12 inch tile - 8 inch tile - Back
of bathroom

What is on the floor in the room adjoining the bath? What are you using
between the tile and
the adjoining room? Adjoining room is level?

I think it is a matter of taste, since you don't have any real narrow
cuts to make. In a room that
size, I would use grout same color as the tile so there isn't a strong
contrast. We have 20" tile in
our LR/DR and on into a very small, "L" shaped hallway. The dining room
has a step down into the LR,
and the tile bordering the step is a full tile along the edge, and that
is what is seen from front entry. The
grout line hits about the center of the doorway leading on into the
small hallway. I don't believe the size
of the tile really matters a lot, but if we had borders or contrasting
grout color it would look a little
goofy. A neighbor, with same floor plan, has small tile, white with
black grout, and it makes me dizzy.
Ours is taupe, stone texture, with taupe grout. There isn't really a
defined pattern that jumps out.

Biggest issue, IMO, is whether the underlayment is firm enough and,
whatever you do, be sure to
remove the grout haze according to instr.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The adjoining hallway next to bathroom is light carpeting and level to
the bathroom.
The concrete I am laying it on it firm with no holes or any bumps.

Tile Layout Question Robin2728.com Home Repair 7 October 13th 07 02:03 PM
Another Bathroom Tile layout question Tony Home Repair 10 May 25th 07 11:45 AM
Tile Laser Layout? HotRod Home Repair 4 November 2nd 06 05:35 PM
Floor tile layout Martik Home Repair 10 August 11th 06 06:58 PM
Planning Tile layout in a shower room Andy UK diy 4 April 10th 06 11:30 AM