Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical push connectors blow!

I finished wiring up my 3 way switches I asked about a while ago, but the
one switch only worked in one position. I assumed I had a common and
traveller reversed somewhere, but the wiring seemed fine. I finally pulled
both switches to check continuity and the same push connector was bad on
both switches, as well as a third switch I have for another circuit. I
changed to the screw connectors on both switches and all is beautiful now!

Thanks to Terry and RBM for the original help. I did end up cutting out the
entire ceiling betyween the two fixtures as you suggested. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2008 4:31 PM Bill Stock spake thus:

I finished wiring up my 3 way switches I asked about a while ago, but the
one switch only worked in one position. I assumed I had a common and
traveller reversed somewhere, but the wiring seemed fine. I finally pulled
both switches to check continuity and the same push connector was bad on
both switches, as well as a third switch I have for another circuit. I
changed to the screw connectors on both switches and all is beautiful now!

Thanks to Terry and RBM for the original help. I did end up cutting out the
entire ceiling betyween the two fixtures as you suggested. :-)

Note to self: Never use those stupid push connectors. That's what
[insert name of deity here] made the screw connectors for.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/12/2008 4:31 PM Bill Stock spake thus:

I finished wiring up my 3 way switches I asked about a while ago, but the
one switch only worked in one position. I assumed I had a common and
traveller reversed somewhere, but the wiring seemed fine. I finally pulled
both switches to check continuity and the same push connector was bad on
both switches, as well as a third switch I have for another circuit. I
changed to the screw connectors on both switches and all is beautiful now!

Thanks to Terry and RBM for the original help. I did end up cutting out the
entire ceiling betyween the two fixtures as you suggested. :-)

Note to self: Never use those stupid push connectors. That's what
[insert name of deity here] made the screw connectors for.

The push connectors are terrible, but the screw clamped back wire
devices are really nice, particularly when using stranded wire. The only
seem to come on the "spec grade" devices and above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Stock" wrote in
:

I finished wiring up my 3 way switches I asked about a while ago, but
the one switch only worked in one position. I assumed I had a common
and traveller reversed somewhere, but the wiring seemed fine. I
finally pulled both switches to check continuity and the same push
connector was bad on both switches, as well as a third switch I have
for another circuit. I changed to the screw connectors on both
switches and all is beautiful now!

Thanks to Terry and RBM for the original help. I did end up cutting
out the entire ceiling betyween the two fixtures as you suggested. :-)

Guess you didn't mention you would be backstabbing it to hook it up. If
you did you would have got many one word replies - "Don't".

Someone please tell me why they even put that options on?! They are
notorious for failing as well as a fire and safety bombshell waiting to
go off, yet, code must allow it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:22:45 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 4/12/2008 4:31 PM Bill Stock spake thus:

I finished wiring up my 3 way switches I asked about a while ago, but the
one switch only worked in one position. I assumed I had a common and
traveller reversed somewhere, but the wiring seemed fine. I finally pulled
both switches to check continuity and the same push connector was bad on
both switches, as well as a third switch I have for another circuit. I
changed to the screw connectors on both switches and all is beautiful now!

Thanks to Terry and RBM for the original help. I did end up cutting out the
entire ceiling betyween the two fixtures as you suggested. :-)

Note to self: Never use those stupid push connectors. That's what
[insert name of deity here] made the screw connectors for.

I think I used them when I made some changes when I first moved in. I
thought I was being modern. I think we're only talking about at most
5 receptacles and 2 switches, all in one room.