DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Foam roof? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/243725-foam-roof.html)

Smitty Two April 12th 08 06:25 PM

Foam roof?

SWMBO's new object of desire is a house that happens to have a foam
roof. Neither of us had heard of that before. Yes I did a (dare I say
google) search. But I'd invite opinions and/or reports of experiences
with them...

gnu/linux April 12th 08 07:07 PM

Foam roof?

On Apr 12, 12:25 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
SWMBO's new object of desire is a house that happens to have a foam
roof. Neither of us had heard of that before. Yes I did a (dare I say
google) search. But I'd invite opinions and/or reports of experiences
with them...

If's its a white roof get it ! (the mold shows so once every few
years ya need to get up there and clean/coat it) - here is south Texas
(where I am) there great (reflect heat)

ransley April 12th 08 07:09 PM

Foam roof?

On Apr 12, 12:25*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
SWMBO's new object of desire is a house that happens to have a foam
roof. Neither of us had heard of that before. Yes I did a (dare I say
google) search. But I'd invite opinions and/or reports of experiences
with them...

I have heard they are well known in hot areas like Arizona, for an old
flat roof building without any real insulation it is sometimes the
only way to insulate. I hear you must inspect it regulaly and keep it
painted or the sun will destroy it. For most homes you can just put
insulation in the attic as much as you want, flat roof is limited and
foam seems like the only way to get proper insulation on old buildings
with finished ceilings, im looking into it for a apt building that is
flat roof with no insulation and a big gas bill. There are R5" R6" and
R 7.2" foams. Foam looses a bit of R value as it outgasses R7.2" goes
to maybe R 6.7, Fiberglass looses a major amount of R value as it gets
down to -20f, foam does not. I will bet its expensive. I would not see
a foam roof as a want, but only a way to insulate because you need it,
most regular houses can be insulated in the attic cheaply, I will bet
to get R 50 is very expensive compared to Fiberglass batt of normal
open attic construction. See if you can find a per sq ft cost at say R
7.2" GE makes a R7.2" foam. In my area zone 5. I need maybe 7" of
foam to do the job.

ransley April 12th 08 07:18 PM

Foam roof?

On Apr 12, 1:07*pm, "gnu/linux" wrote:
On Apr 12, 12:25 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

SWMBO's new object of desire is a house that happens to have a foam
roof. Neither of us had heard of that before. Yes I did a (dare I say
google) search. But I'd invite opinions and/or reports of experiences
with them...

If's its a white roof get it ! *(the mold shows so once every few
years ya need to get up there and clean/coat it) - here is south Texas
(where *I am) there great (reflect heat)

The paint is why its white, I want a black one, so it hold winters sun
warming effect, but Black paint on foam will melt it even at maybe 20f
out, I tried it. You can paint it most any color but flat black

Frank[_9_] April 13th 08 12:03 AM

Foam roof?

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
SWMBO's new object of desire is a house that happens to have a foam
roof. Neither of us had heard of that before. Yes I did a (dare I say
google) search. But I'd invite opinions and/or reports of experiences
with them...

I was looking at re-roofing my commercial building a few years ago with
foam. I have a flat roof and foam seems to be the way to go but its was
quite pricey so I ended up with a conventional roof. From my understanding
it will last 40 or more years but needs re-spraying every few years.