Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plz help (hooking up icemaker)

I recently moved into a new house that has a water tap behind the
refridgerator. The tap looks like every tap I've ever seen behind
household toilets. That is, it has an oval handle and it has a male
3/8" hookup. There is a flexible hose coming out of the back of my
refridgerator that is a female 1/4" (plus it has a female to male
adapter).

My problem is I cannot find anywhere an adapter that can change the
3/8" to 1/4". People in the hardware stores keep telling me I need an
icemaker hookup kit, but I have bought two different ones and they
don't come with the adapters I need.

Can someone help me figure out how to hook a 1/4" female onto a 3/8"
male? I know it shouldn't be hard but 3 different hardware stores
around here couldn't help me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 9:19*am, Greg Baker wrote:

My problem is I cannot find anywhere an adapter that can change the
3/8" to 1/4". *People in the hardware stores keep telling me I need an
icemaker hookup kit, but I have bought two different ones and they
don't come with the adapters I need.

Can someone help me figure out how to hook a 1/4" female onto a 3/8"
male? *I know it shouldn't be hard but 3 different hardware stores
around here couldn't help me.

Something like this from Grainger? A little pricey though.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2P239

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Jerry.. I found similar things at the hardware store around
here, but the problem is the threads on both the hose coming out of
the refridgerator and the tap have a tight thread (sorry I don't know
the technical term). All the adapters I find have a very large thread
and they won't screw into or onto my tap or appliance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 10:59*am, Greg Baker wrote:
Thanks Jerry.. *I found similar things at the hardware store around
here, but the problem is the threads on both the hose coming out of
the refridgerator and the tap have a tight thread (sorry I don't know
the technical term). *All the adapters I find have a very large thread
and they won't screw into or onto my tap or appliance.

Have a plumber change the tap to 1/4 compression fitting? Now you're
talking a few more bucks.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 2:14*pm, Jerry wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:59*am, Greg Baker wrote:

Thanks Jerry.. *I found similar things at the hardware store around
here, but the problem is the threads on both the hose coming out of
the refridgerator and the tap have a tight thread (sorry I don't know
the technical term). *All the adapters I find have a very large thread
and they won't screw into or onto my tap or appliance.

Have a plumber change the tap to 1/4 compression fitting? Now you're
talking a few more bucks.

Jerry

Instead of going to the hardware store, go to a plumbing supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 2:56 am, Red Green wrote:
Greg Baker wrote in news:2f153172-b9bc-4c3d-
:

I recently moved into a new house that has a water tap behind the
refridgerator. The tap looks like every tap I've ever seen behind
household toilets. That is, it has an oval handle and it has a male
3/8" hookup. There is a flexible hose coming out of the back of my
refridgerator that is a female 1/4" (plus it has a female to male
adapter).

My problem is I cannot find anywhere an adapter that can change the
3/8" to 1/4". People in the hardware stores keep telling me I need an
icemaker hookup kit, but I have bought two different ones and they
don't come with the adapters I need.

Can someone help me figure out how to hook a 1/4" female onto a 3/8"
male? I know it shouldn't be hard but 3 different hardware stores
around here couldn't help me.

I recently picked up one of these at Lowes. A little more than what you
need. If you can't find a simpler adapter you could cap off the 3/8
outlet side of the tee.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=e1887d&s=3

Ahh, thanks Red Green. I have found one of these. Now I'm in search
for a female cap! lol.. But I'm one step closer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ahh I just replaced the tap with a 1/4" tap. Too much trouble looking
for the other pieces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 7:48�am, Greg Baker wrote:
Ahh I just replaced the tap with a 1/4" tap. �Too much trouble looking
for the other pieces.

be sure to use plastic ferrule on plastic lines

or brass ferrule on copper lines.......

otherwise it can leak or the connection

Hooking up a car audio amp Vey Electronics Repair 4 May 24th 07 08:11 PM
Hooking up a dryer alaric Home Repair 5 March 18th 07 09:20 PM
Hooking up my Dishwasher ??? heyyou_kim Home Repair 9 July 20th 06 01:07 PM
Hooking Up A RF Modulator Darren Thornton Electronics 2 December 27th 04 09:28 AM
Hooking up gas dryer... blueman Home Repair 15 December 15th 04 12:40 PM