DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thermostat for electric baseboard heat (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/243283-thermostat-electric-baseboard-heat.html)

Christopher Nelson April 11th 08 04:18 PM

Thermostat for electric baseboard heat

I have electric baseboard heat in one room with a thermostat on the
wall but the thermostat appears to be 15 degrees F off! If I set it
for 55, the room ends up 70. Is it reasonably likely that I can pull
off the knob and move it so the little pointer points to the real
temperature or is it likely I have to replace the thermostat? Or is
there some other calibration procedure I can follow?

RBM[_2_] April 11th 08 09:58 PM

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
I have electric baseboard heat in one room with a thermostat on the
wall but the thermostat appears to be 15 degrees F off! If I set it
for 55, the room ends up 70. Is it reasonably likely that I can pull
off the knob and move it so the little pointer points to the real
temperature or is it likely I have to replace the thermostat? Or is
there some other calibration procedure I can follow?

Typical pos bi-metal electric heat thermostats are inaccurate but
consistent. Many don't even try to use temperature settings, but numbers
like 1 to 10. Whatever temperature #6 gives you, it will consistently give
you. Yes, you can bend the pointer or whatever, or just see if whatever
temperature you set it at, it's consistent, then compensate for it

RBM[_2_] April 12th 08 02:38 PM

Thermostat for electric baseboard heat

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
I have electric baseboard heat in one room with a thermostat on the
wall but the thermostat appears to be 15 degrees F off! If I set it
for 55, the room ends up 70. Is it reasonably likely that I can pull
off the knob and move it so the little pointer points to the real
temperature or is it likely I have to replace the thermostat? Or is
there some other calibration procedure I can follow?

Here is a great, and not to expensive digital programmable thermostat for
electric heat. They're sold under the name Aube, or Honeywell, or
Honeywell/Aube. If you shop around you can get them for under $50, which is
what any good bi-metal will cost: http://www.smarthome.com/300607b.html