Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,192
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

Hi all,

got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. (the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.

thanks

nate
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,926
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

On Apr 10, 3:46*pm, N8N wrote:
Hi all,

got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. *I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. *I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. *I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. *(the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) *I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? *Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. *I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.

thanks

nate


A new unit will be alot more efficent, 50-75%, many models freeze up
below 65-68f air temp, check the basement temp before you buy one,
there are low temp models sold incase you are below 68f. You have to
hear the unit to see if its quiet, one year I bough a sears , it was
quiet, the following year I bought another sears, its design was
changed and its noisy. Also get one with a drain and run a hose to a
drain.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,679
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

Actually my "laundry room" is in fact half the basement, and is
connected to the remainder of the basement by an open doorway. Even if
I were going to put a new door in, it would either be louvered or have a
vent panel in it because there is no cold air return from the other side
of the basement, and all the gas-fired appliances are in there. The
comments are appreciated, though.

I do think the A/C may help because it will be circulating the air,
which was not possible before (had a heat-only thermostat which wouldn't
allow the furnace fan to be controlled separately.) I may also try
simply running the fan by itself when it's warm but not hot upstairs.

How could one tell without running a dehumidifier whether it's suitable
for use in a basement or not?

nate

Joseph Meehan wrote:
I offer no answer, but just a few ideas. Air circulation with air
from the rest of the home or outside may be a good part of your
solution. Newer units are more efficient. Note: not all dehumidifiers
are suitable for basement use. I suspect that may be part of the
problem you are having with your current one. Take a look at it after
it has been running a while. Do you see frost build up on the coils?
If so you likely have a unit that is not suitable for basement use.
Also the frost likely will make it noisier. Make sure those coils are
kept clean and there is good airflow to the unit. If it is in the
laundry room, it is not going to dehumidify the rest of the basement as
well as if it were more centrally located. You may need a new location
of fans to move the air around more.

"N8N" wrote in message
...

Hi all,

got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. (the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.

thanks

nate






--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,679
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

ransley wrote:
On Apr 10, 3:46 pm, N8N wrote:

Hi all,

got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. (the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.

thanks

nate



A new unit will be alot more efficent, 50-75%, many models freeze up
below 65-68f air temp, check the basement temp before you buy one,
there are low temp models sold incase you are below 68f. You have to
hear the unit to see if its quiet, one year I bough a sears , it was
quiet, the following year I bought another sears, its design was
changed and its noisy. Also get one with a drain and run a hose to a
drain.


Hmm, good to know. I do tend to keep the thermostat set at 67F, would
be lower if not for SWMBO. My natural comfortable temperature is about
65-66F. The basement probably is always cooler than the rest of the
house. Obviously it will be hotter in the summertime when I have the
thermostat set for cooling but spring and fall definitely the coolest
part of the house.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,926
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

On Apr 10, 5:32*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Actually my "laundry room" is in fact half the basement, and is
connected to the remainder of the basement by an open doorway. *Even if
I were going to put a new door in, it would either be louvered or have a
vent panel in it because there is no cold air return from the other side
of the basement, and all the gas-fired appliances are in there. *The
comments are appreciated, though.

I do think the A/C may help because it will be circulating the air,
which was not possible before (had a heat-only thermostat which wouldn't
allow the furnace fan to be controlled separately.) *I may also try
simply running the fan by itself when it's warm but not hot upstairs.

How could one tell without running a dehumidifier whether it's suitable
for use in a basement or not?

nate





Joseph Meehan wrote:
* *I offer no answer, but just a few ideas. *Air circulation with air
from the rest of the home or outside may be a good part of your
solution. *Newer units are more efficient. *Note: not all dehumidifiers
are suitable for basement use. *I suspect that may be part of the
problem you are having with your current one. *Take a look at it after
it has been running a while. *Do you see frost build up on the coils? *
If so you likely have a unit that is not suitable for basement use. *
Also the frost likely will make it noisier. Make sure those coils are
kept clean and there is good airflow to the unit. If it is in the
laundry room, it is not going to dehumidify the rest of the basement as
well as if it were more centrally located. *You may need a new location
of fans to move the air around more.


"N8N" wrote in message
...


Hi all,


got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. *I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. *I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. *I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. *(the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) *I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? *Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. *I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.


thanks


nate


--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Just get a low temp dehumidifier, then it wont freeze and you have no
worry. But the sears low temp unit was their largest, it might be
oversized for you.


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

Stay away from the Sears Branded dehumidifers -- I've had nothing but
problems with them.

I like the Whirlpool 50 and 70 pint ones that are at Lowes [and other
places]. They're energy star rated and they are designed to operate at the
lower temps [upper 50's].

I keep my basement and crawl spaces at about 35-40% which has worked out
quite well.


"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
...
ransley wrote:
On Apr 10, 3:46 pm, N8N wrote:

Hi all,

got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. (the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.

thanks

nate



A new unit will be alot more efficent, 50-75%, many models freeze up
below 65-68f air temp, check the basement temp before you buy one,
there are low temp models sold incase you are below 68f. You have to
hear the unit to see if its quiet, one year I bough a sears , it was
quiet, the following year I bought another sears, its design was
changed and its noisy. Also get one with a drain and run a hose to a
drain.


Hmm, good to know. I do tend to keep the thermostat set at 67F, would be
lower if not for SWMBO. My natural comfortable temperature is about
65-66F. The basement probably is always cooler than the rest of the
house. Obviously it will be hotter in the summertime when I have the
thermostat set for cooling but spring and fall definitely the coolest part
of the house.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel



  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,837
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

On Apr 10, 3:46*pm, N8N wrote:
Hi all,

got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. *I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. *I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. *I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. *(the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) *I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? *Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. *I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.

thanks

nate


  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,447
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

On Apr 11, 12:34*pm, "readandpostrosie"
wrote:
we have always been pleased with kenmore dehumidifiers!
you might also benefit from have a small fan, moving the air around down
there!

--

"N8N" wrote in message

...



Hi all,


got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. *I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. *I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. *I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. *(the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) *I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? *Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. *I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.


thanks


nate- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


Yes our smallish Kenmore, in a 35 by 46 foot, approx 40 year old,
mainly unfinished basement is tending to freeze up and clog the coils
with ice; even at a minimum setting especially during each winter.
Temp. of our mainly below ground basement tends to be around 50 deg.
F.
So tend to agree the low temp, in our only occasionally heated, plus
some heat loss from main floor above, is likely cause of frozen-up
coils.
As an experiment have put a standard desk fan to blow at the coils,
which seems to help a bit. At least dissipating more quickly, the ice
that forms, whenever the dehumidifier compressor cycles off!
Also thinking of rearranging so that the the built in dehumidifier fan
runs all the time unit is plugged in; regardless of whether compressor
is running, to more readily dissipate ice formation; won't be the
whole answer but may help?
The compressor cuts out of course when the water reservoir fills up.
May rig an alarm to this to warn need to empty. Another alternative is
to run the drainage into a basement floor drain all the time.
Any thouhts. Also have another older but very similar model (obtained
free at a flea market!) which doesn't seem to work as well.
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

Get a new one that is "energy star" and has a built in humidity sensor.
Then set it up to drain to a floor drain and then all you have to do is set
you humidity level and forget it.

If you don't have a floor drain the feed it into a "descasent pump" [like
what is used a lot with furnaces etc] that will pump it to a drain.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:46:47 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

Hi all,

got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. (the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.

thanks

nate



You may want to seal the walls if they are concrete. There are
rubber-based paints made specifically for this. Dehumidifiers are
noisy and require considerable power. You can put the dehumidifier
on a 24-hour timer so it only runs at certain hours. A fan can help
circulate air or you can run the furnace blower. Moisture tends to
move away from warmer locations and toward cooler areas.



  #10   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,926
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

On Apr 11, 5:07*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:46:47 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:





Hi all,


got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. *I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. *I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. *I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. *(the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) *I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? *Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. *I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.


thanks


nate


You may want to seal the walls if they are concrete. *There are
rubber-based paints made specifically for this. * Dehumidifiers are
noisy and require considerable power. * You can put the dehumidifier
on a 24-hour timer so it only runs at certain hours. * A fan can help
circulate air or you can run the furnace blower. * Moisture tends to
move away from warmer locations and toward cooler areas.- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Old non energy star units were hogs, for about $3 a month mine
dehumidifys 25x25


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default new dehumidifier for basement?

You should look google for a GOOD dehumidifier for your basement.
I can offer our website link which of course is the best dehumidifier
out there because it's made just for basements.
http://www.basementsystems.com/dehumidifier/

We deal with basements everyday so i'd ask you to research about our
product called the Sanidry Dehumidifier.

Hopefully you will find a good solutions for your humidity problem
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what if I don't use a dehumidifier in basement? Joe Home Ownership 7 August 3rd 07 06:34 AM
Basement dehumidifier, heat, etc Jack Home Repair 4 June 15th 07 01:25 PM
Dehumidifier and basement wall yoman Home Repair 4 August 25th 06 05:03 PM
basement dehumidifier, condensate pump [email protected] Home Repair 13 April 12th 06 07:29 PM
Dehumidifier in a New England's basement during the winter? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 3rd 05 02:29 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"