Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ace Hardware Stores

Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/10/08 02:51 pm Cheri wrote:

Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

Ace stores vary. According to the Benjamin Moore Web site, our two local
Ace stores sell their paint. One has no 5-gallon pails of B-M, the other
doesn't sell B-M at all.

I have occasionally gone to a local independent lumber yard/hardware
store because I was going that way anyway, but then I have seen the item
I bought there priced far lower at one of the big-box stores. A few days
ago I was at said local store but did not buy because I wanted to check
the price at Lowe's. The item was $20.xx at the independent, $11.xx at
Lowe's -- same item, same brand, same packaging, same item#. At the
independent store I had also noticed a tool I possessed already, priced
at $10.24; it was $8.xx at Lowe's, and the one I bought (again: same
item, same brand, same packaging, same item#) not long ago at Menards
(Midwest chain) still has the $4.99 price sticker on it -- and I bought
it when it was on sale, so probably I paid even less than that.

Another chain/cooperative around here is Do It Best, but our nearest
store doesn't even sell some of the items listed on the company Web
site. (Conversely, our local Lowe's stocks some items that are not on
the company Web site.)

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

Ace, True Value, or some of the independents we have locally. Far better
than any of the big box stores and often a better selection, not just the
high volume crap. Around here (southern New England) we have Aubuchon,
Koopmans, Chase Lumber, Buy Rite and others..

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Ace and True Value for me.

If you are ever near Florence Arizona stop in and tour their True Value
store. It is the best I have seen. I wish it wasn't an hour away from me.

cm

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blattus Slafaly wrote:
Cheri wrote:

Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

I shop at Home Depot and Lowe's all the time. I think the people who
used to work at Ace and Trustworthy's went to the big box stores which
DO have better selections.

That has not been my experience at all. There's lots of "stuff" at the
big boxes but they almost never have everything that I'm looking for for
any given project.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 2:51 pm, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

The local 'Ace' went independent, and now they sell crap tools and
crap supplies.

"Mintcraft" tools- crapcraft, is more like it. And now, they only have
one of anything.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in news:0-
:

Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

I've found the short staffing an issue at all Lowe's. I don't blame them
of course. It's management driven at some level.

As far as not knowing what you're talking about, if you are a frequent
flier at either of them, you get to know who to ask what in each dept.
I've seen good people in both.

The one's that get a frightened look when you look at them are not them.

Then there was the one when I needed an o-ring for my pressure washer
nozzle. Handed me a pack of assorted faucet seat washers. You just say
thanks and let em go "help" someone else.

As far as product availability I find that area dependent in the same
store. But lately, I'm seeing even the ones that had a good inventory of
regular items are out of stuff. Not sure what is causing this. I mean I
go into Lowe's a few weeks back to price a standard 36" LH 6 panel steel
door. They have only one. I mean this is building materials staple food.
I dunno. Maybe some hard up builder needed a bunch bad/quick and bought
them up regardless of cost. But there's other examples I could cite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in message ...speaking of big box stores and the help.

Then there was the one when I needed an o-ring for my pressure washer
nozzle. Handed me a pack of assorted faucet seat washers. You just

say
thanks and let em go "help" someone else.

The final straw for me at Lowe's was when I asked one of the workers
where I would find the dryer vent hoses, and he took me to someplace
in the store and tried to sell me something that wasn't a dryer hose.
I told him that it wasn't like the one that came off my dryer, he said
that's all we have that could do the job. I left him there, wandered
around looking myself and ended up where the washer and dryers were,
and there they were. I had almost the same thing happen there with
particle board....no help. Geez.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

We went to three different HD stores yesterday to get window blinds. They
had to cut them to size for us. All three stores cut them the wrong size and
did not have anymore blinds in stock to correct their mistake. We decided to
quit for the day and try again this morning. Luckily the fourth store we
went to this morning had the correct size in stock.

cm

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..

Red Green wrote in message ...speaking of big box stores and the help.

Then there was the one when I needed an o-ring for my pressure washer
nozzle. Handed me a pack of assorted faucet seat washers. You just

say
thanks and let em go "help" someone else.

The final straw for me at Lowe's was when I asked one of the workers
where I would find the dryer vent hoses, and he took me to someplace
in the store and tried to sell me something that wasn't a dryer hose.
I told him that it wasn't like the one that came off my dryer, he said
that's all we have that could do the job. I left him there, wandered
around looking myself and ended up where the washer and dryers were,
and there they were. I had almost the same thing happen there with
particle board....no help. Geez.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2008 11:51 AM Cheri spake thus:

Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores.

[...]

I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

Ace, definitely (or, as others have pointed out, True Value). Anything
*but* the big-box stores. (Home Despot is the worst.)

We even have an "old-time" Ace in my neighborhood, unlike any other
hardware store I've ever seen. Instead of browsing a large store for
what you want, you walk into a rather small storefront, go to the
counter and tell them what you want, and they get it for you. And
they've almost always been able to give me what I needed.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/10/2008 3:37 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

Blattus Slafaly wrote:

I shop at Home Depot and Lowe's all the time. I think the people who
used to work at Ace and Trustworthy's went to the big box stores which
DO have better selections.

That has not been my experience at all. There's lots of "stuff" at the
big boxes but they almost never have everything that I'm looking for for
any given project.

Yes; case in point: I have a client who wants a clothesline put up. Went
to the Ace in El Cerrito (Pastime, great store), where they found some
kits in the way-back, $50 for a complete metal kit (T-poles, etc.) Today
I asked at Home Despot for comparison; they had *no* clothesline kits at
all (only items listed were things like line, pulleys, etc.).

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

Prices are better at the Borg stores, but help is either nonexistant or
semiconscious at the Borgs. Much more, better, and knowledgeable people at
Ace. I live in a rural area, so our Aces tend to be a little better than
the citified versions. They also have huge sporting goods departments,
complete with ...................... GUNS!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

[...]

I couldn't agree more !!!! I think most Ace stores are locally
owned, I know ours is, so service, price, etc will vary from store
to store.

I love the service, friendliness, and don't mind paying a little
more to get it, and more of the money stays local, unlike the big
box stores.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 2:51*pm, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote:
Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

Where I live, the Ace stores and the very few remaining independents
are located on street corners of older neighborhoods. Very convenient
for the "city-folk" who can either walk there or drive a much shorter
distance than it would take to get to the borgs in the suburbs.

With that convenience comes much higher prices and a lot of lower
quality items. While you can still get the single bolt or odd sized
plumbing fitting from there, if you try to get everything you need for
a given project, you're going to spend a lot more than at a borg.

YMMV, depending on where you live.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:40:10 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 4/10/2008 11:51 AM Cheri spake thus:

Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores.

[...]

I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

Ace, definitely (or, as others have pointed out, True Value). Anything
*but* the big-box stores. (Home Despot is the worst.)

We even have an "old-time" Ace in my neighborhood, unlike any other
hardware store I've ever seen. Instead of browsing a large store for
what you want, you walk into a rather small storefront, go to the
counter and tell them what you want, and they get it for you. And
they've almost always been able to give me what I needed.

There was an Ace like that here. It's gone now, after Lowe's opened.
Same for the True Value store.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 04:05:19 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

[...]

I think that was true here. I know the True Value was. I wish they
were still here, as they were preferable to Lowe's when you need to
ask about something/

I love the service, friendliness, and don't mind paying a little
more to get it, and more of the money stays local, unlike the big
box stores.

Bob-tx

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 10, 2:44*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
[...]

Seems to me this might be a case of shopping for price only with
blinders on. If you factor in the cost of your time and
transportation (gas, depreciation, maintenance, etc @ 30 cents per
mile) when you find something you need at a local outlet, then the
convenience of buying it there is sometimes worth the higher price. So
the issue isn't wholly black or white, rather, using good judgement
and knowing what a fair price is for your project tools and materials

Joe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/11/08 10:11 am Joe wrote:

[...]

As I wrote already, I've gone to the local independent if I was in that
area already for something else. But most of my journeys take me much
closer to Lowe's, HD and Menards anyway.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

Anyone who's near Oconnor True Value Hardware in Billerica,
Massachusetts is real lucky.

Great place, been there forever, has EVERYTHING and real good help.

Go for it if you can.

http://www.oconnorhardware.com/

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like my local Ace hardware store. The problem is that I'm usually
working at the times when it is open. I have shopped there 2 times in
18 years. Home Depot is open late Saturdays and Sundays and that's
when I shop. I'm not about to take a vacation day to shop Ace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:

Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores. Every time
I'm in Lowe's, there is no help available, and if they're available,
they usually don't know what you're talking about. Same thing with
Orchard Hardware Supply. In my town there is a very small Ace
Hardware, and every time I go there, they are very helpful, go with
you to show you the item, and discuss the pros and cons with you. They
usually have the everyday things that I need for repairs, and they're
even cheaper. I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

--
Cheri

As others have noted, the big box stores have more convenient hours and
generally better prices. The more competent staff and the advice you can
get from them at the small hardware stores may well be worth the price
and convenience premium to some folks. For those of us who know what we
need and don't need any advice, the savings and convenience of the big
box stores wins out. For any given project beyond a simple repair,
neither the big box stores, nor the small hardware store will have
everything you need, so you'll still have to visit the specialty stores
to round out the project.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

that could do the job.

Sure, with enough duct tape and tie wraps:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:47feeba0$0$19832
:

On 4/10/2008 11:51 AM Cheri spake thus:

Personally, I choose Ace Hardware over the big box stores.

[...]

I find myself shopping there all the time now, do others
like Ace better, or are you more into the big box stores? I'm curious.

Ace, definitely (or, as others have pointed out, True Value). Anything
*but* the big-box stores. (Home Despot is the worst.)

We even have an "old-time" Ace in my neighborhood, unlike any other
hardware store I've ever seen. Instead of browsing a large store for
what you want, you walk into a rather small storefront, go to the
counter and tell them what you want, and they get it for you. And
they've almost always been able to give me what I needed.

That's cause they don't want you messin' with the copper kettle and
tubing right in the back. I bet they are very mellow people huh? :-)

I spent many years in northern VT. Although VT hosts high tech computer
chip mfg, outside the towns still exist many General Stores. Some you
could take a B&W picture and put it in a history book and no one would
know is's not 150 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:l%uLj.345$gv4.112
@newsfe02.lga:

Ace stores vary. According to the Benjamin Moore Web site, our two local
Ace stores sell their paint. One has no 5-gallon pails of B-M, the other
doesn't sell B-M at all.

You want 5 gals of BM? The "prep work" for a colonoscopy will give you
that. [those that have been there know what I mean and now are chuckling].
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in
@newsfe02.lga:

Ace stores vary. According to the Benjamin Moore Web site, our two local
Ace stores sell their paint. One has no 5-gallon pails of B-M, the other
doesn't sell B-M at all.

You want 5 gals of BM? The "prep work" for a colonoscopy will give you
that. [those that have been there know what I mean and now are chuckling].

Not me. I was one of the 40,000 people who got a letter from the Clark
County Health Department (NV) to go get hepatitis and HIV checked after a
colonoscopy (negative results) because the clinic's owners cheaped out and
reused syringes. I thought that was covered the first week of doctor
school.

Some people are lucky it's against the law to kill people.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:07:22 GMT, "CM"
wrote:

Ace and True Value for me.

If you are ever near Florence Arizona stop in and tour their True Value
store. It is the best I have seen. I wish it wasn't an hour away from me.

If you're in Dallas, go to Eliots.

The orginal downtown and a new branch in Plano, I think I was.

I don't live there but make a point to go when I visit.

(I'll admit the thrill is gone, because I got most of the things I
need but had never seen before the first time I was there.)

cm

Ode to Hardware Stores [email protected] Woodworking 30 March 2nd 07 10:44 PM
looking for stores steve Woodworking 1 December 12th 04 07:32 PM
how did the system for sizing up nails in hardware stores come about? guitarpick Woodturning 7 November 5th 04 12:02 AM
How did the system for sizing nails in hardware stores originate? guitarpick Woodworking 3 October 19th 04 01:55 AM