Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 5 gang mud ring for 1/2" depth

Is there an online source for mud rings? I need a 5 gang mud ring for
the standard 5 gang metal box (not the stacked gangable kind) but went
to three electrical supply houses locally and all they had were 3/4"
depth and they can't even special order it, says it does not EXIST!

I know they exist.

I searched the web and came up empty.

Thanks,

MC
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Is there an online source for mud rings? I need a 5 gang mud ring for
the standard 5 gang metal box (not the stacked gangable kind) but went
to three electrical supply houses locally and all they had were 3/4"
depth and they can't even special order it, says it does not EXIST!

I know they exist.

I searched the web and came up empty.

Thanks,

MC

Can you mount the box 1/4" back?

Posted to alt.home.repair
KJS KJS is offline

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:29:51 -0700, wrote
(in article
):

Is there an online source for mud rings? I need a 5 gang mud ring for
the standard 5 gang metal box (not the stacked gangable kind) but went
to three electrical supply houses locally and all they had were 3/4"
depth and they can't even special order it, says it does not EXIST!

I know they exist.

I searched the web and came up empty.

Thanks,

MC

Garvin Industries makes them. Their catalog number is GBDC-125. You can buy
them at
www.electrical-supply.net

Here is the link to the catalog page.

http://www.electrical-
supply.net/product.asp_Q_parentID_E_501_A_subCatID_E_515_A_pr odID_E_2426

Only problem is they have a $25 minimum and the raised cover is $8.55, but
perhaps there's some other stuff you need...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
Is there an online source for mud rings? I need a 5 gang mud ring for
the standard 5 gang metal box (not the stacked gangable kind) but went
to three electrical supply houses locally and all they had were 3/4"
depth and they can't even special order it, says it does not EXIST!

I know they exist.

I searched the web and came up empty.

Thanks,

MC

Can you mount the box 1/4" back?

Not easy to do at this point, the box has been mounted with many pipes going
in, I would have to adjust over a dozen 1/2 and 3/4 EMT pipes to just shift
the box. I have two five gang boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 11:09 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

Not easy to do at this point, the box has been mounted with many pipes going
in, I would have to adjust over a dozen 1/2 and 3/4 EMT pipes to just shift
the box. I have two five gang boxes.

Is that code where you are - you have to use EMT for _all_ of the
wiring? Ouch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 23:09:12 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message

wrote in message
Is there an online source for mud rings? I need a 5 gang mud ring for
the standard 5 gang metal box (not the stacked gangable kind) but went
to three electrical supply houses locally and all they had were 3/4"
depth and they can't even special order it, says it does not EXIST!

I know they exist.

I searched the web and came up empty.

Thanks,

MC

Can you mount the box 1/4" back?

Not easy to do at this point, the box has been mounted with many pipes going
in, I would have to adjust over a dozen 1/2 and 3/4 EMT pipes to just shift
the box. I have two five gang boxes.

We always use 5/8 rings for 1/2 rock.

The never run out of ways to try to confuse us, but 5/8 is the size
ring that will be flush if the box is under half inch rock.

I never tried to buy a 5 gang.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KJS" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

THANK YOU!!!!!

This is exactly what I need, even if they charge $25 it's well worth it
compared to the labor cost to reseat the boxes. I ordered already - much
appreciated.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 11:49 pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 9, 11:09 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

Not easy to do at this point, the box has been mounted with many pipes going
in, I would have to adjust over a dozen 1/2 and 3/4 EMT pipes to just shift
the box. I have two five gang boxes.

Is that code where you are - you have to use EMT for _all_ of the
wiring? Ouch.

No not required. The house was constructed mostly with commercial
methods. All wirings were in EMT. I have been using mostly EMT where
I am "tieing in", in walls. In the attic I have been using EMT only
to run to the boxes, then from there MC cables to the actual lighting
devices or fans. A few romexes not much.

After the electricians are done then I am going to wire the low
voltage, cat5, coax and phone myself, those I will run "free-willy"
style.

MC