DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Building a deck that can be disassembled? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/242728-building-deck-can-disassembled.html)

mm April 9th 08 03:27 AM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

Posted to ahr.

Can I build a deck, two feet above the ground, that can later be
partly or totally disassembled and moved away temporarily?

I"m thinking that if instead of nails, I used lag screws and deck
screws, this would be feasible. If I used stainless steel lag screws,
they would still look nice for many years, until the deck fell apart
for other reasons.

In fact it might even look cool, and certainly not like everyone
else's, with the heads of the lag screws showing.

Are the odds good that I could do this, or is there something that I
can't overcome? When the time came to move the deck away, I would
remove all that I could and if there were still a big piece in the
middle, I could get several people and some device with wheels to help
me move away what couldn't be disassembled, and later help me move it
back. Other than moving the deck around later, I can do all of the
deck building by myself, or with one helper.

I live in a townhouse, at the end of the group, no one behind me and
no one on one side, because the street turns 90 degrees even before it
gets to my house and continues away from the house.

I need to replace my tiny rotting deck with a 10'x10' deck.

I had a mental plan to also, first, have someone enlarge my basement
(for more storage) by the same size as the deck, and to cover up the
basement room with the deck, especially the top 18 or 24 inches that
would be above the ground, so the basement room wouldn't be ugly to
look at, and the absence of grass above it would be normal. I don't
have the energy now even to contract this part out, and I have never
approached the architectural committee about it. But on the surface,
do you think this is a ridiculous or a feasible idea? Physically.
(Financially, I will almost certainly save 300 to 500 a year, since
I'm renting a ministorage locker now, and I expect to stay here a long
time.)

The odds are, now, that I will never actually do this, but I've been
postponing for almost a year rebuilding the deck because of this.

I'm thinking that a compromise that would allow me to proceed with the
deck would be if it were disassemblable sufficiently that I could move
it out of the way in a year or two while finally putting in that extra
basement room.

But I also need to consider if it will fall apart sooner, or look bad
because of my efforts to make it partable (There has to be a shorter
word than disassemblable.).

Thanks.

[email protected] April 9th 08 04:03 AM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

On Apr 8, 10:27�pm, mm wrote:
Posted to ahr.

[...]

just put up a block or eterior matching room with a concrete slab
surface,

provided zoning etc will approve.........

its likely cheaper and will last the life of the building

Red Green April 9th 08 04:13 AM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

mm wrote in
:

Posted to ahr.

Can I build a deck, two feet above the ground, that can later be
partly or totally disassembled and moved away temporarily?

Any good contractors combo kit or mild explosive should do the trick.

[...]

Do you think it's feasable to stop Niagra falls? The American Falls were
dewatered in 1969 for a few months.

Smitty Two April 9th 08 05:21 AM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

In article ,
mm wrote:

Posted to ahr.

[...]

You could make the deck surface in sections. Ten sections, each 5' x 2',
which would have joists and deck boards. Those would be light enough to
move easily. Then make the substructure with ledges so that the surface
sections just drop in. No hardware required. But you're obviously going
to lose the footings and beams if you go for the basement later, and
that's a major portion of the expense and work.

HeyBub[_2_] April 9th 08 03:53 PM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

mm wrote:
Posted to ahr.

[...]

Sure.

1. Number each bit of lumber on a non-visible side as you construct the
monster. Log this number on the drawing. That way, when you take it down,
you can put it back up. Don't lose the drawing.

2. You don't need stainless lag bolts. If one starts to rust, replace it.

[email protected] April 9th 08 03:57 PM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

On Apr 9, 10:53�am, "HeyBub" wrote:
mm wrote:
Posted to ahr.

[...]

2. You don't need stainless lag bolts. If one starts to rust, replace it.- Hide quoted text -

build the room with rubber flat roof, then build deck later deck lays
glued to rubber roof..........

to drive new yourk to los angeles you cant wish you started in las
vegas......

do things in proper order

Norminn April 9th 08 04:10 PM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

I don't know about your construction technique. What does come to mind
is, first, do you need permission
of HOA to expand the basement and/or deck? If you do, indeed, expand
the basement and put the deck over
it, I would surely have some hinged panels to alloc access to the
basement roof (sloped roof, of course). And
if you are planning to stay there a long time, why on earth do you want
to be able to dismantle the deck and
take it with you?

mm April 9th 08 06:11 PM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 11:10:25 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

I don't know about your construction technique. What does come to mind
is, first, do you need permission
of HOA to expand the basement

Probably. And a couple of them are on the warpath now, so now is
not the best time to get one.

and/or deck?

Yes, but they'll soon be begging or insisting that I do so. My new
size is the same as all the other new ones, so they're not going to
have a problem with that.

If you do, indeed, expand
the basement and put the deck over
it, I would surely have some hinged panels to alloc access to the
basement roof (sloped roof, of course). And
if you are planning to stay there a long time, why on earth do you want
to be able to dismantle the deck and
take it with you?

Not take it with me. Move it to the side so that I can build the room
under where the deck will be. No time or energy to get the permit and
build it now.

Like I said, I'm probably never going to build the room, but if it
only takes a few hours to disassemble the deck, then building the deck
first won't interfere much with building the room later.

Originally I started thinking about tearing the deck apart and
wondered if I could then renail in the same holes. Maybe if I spent
enough time at it, but noow I think screws would go a lot faster and
be a lot better.

Thanks Smitty. The thing about the footings is just the sort of thing
I wanted to be reminded of.

And thanks Bub. I guess I thought stainless would look pretty, and
galvanized would look so-so.

ransley April 9th 08 07:23 PM

Building a deck that can be disassembled?

On Apr 8, 9:27*pm, mm wrote:
Posted to ahr.

[...]

10x10 is alot of wood, 4 5x5, or 2 10x5 sections is lighter to move.

HeyBub[_2_] April 9th 08 07:53 PM

mm wrote:
Originally I started thinking about tearing the deck apart and
wondered if I could then renail in the same holes. Maybe if I spent
enough time at it, but noow I think screws would go a lot faster and
be a lot better.

Thanks Smitty. The thing about the footings is just the sort of thing
I wanted to be reminded of.

And thanks Bub. I guess I thought stainless would look pretty, and
galvanized would look so-so.

You're welcome. I suggested galvenized simply because of the price. You can
still make 'em look pretty by dipping the heads in paint before screwing
them in. When I built a gate for the cedar fence I painted the lag bolt
heads black. Looks nice - sorta like wrought-iron - and matches the hinges
and latch.

I'd go with red paint (with red washers), but you could use silver and claim
the bolts were stainless...