Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Confirming simple wiring task

Redid a small wiring chore at a cabin last weekend, and have been thinking
about the way I did it, wondering if a real electrician would have done it
differently (besides in 1/10 the time).

Have a 14/2 running to a double box in a wall. Installed two single pole
switches in the box as follows. Not sure if Line and Load are the correct
terms when talking switches, but you get my drift:

Black off hot line in was ponytailed to two jumpers, one each to Line on
switches. Load off switches to black on 14/2 leading to two ceiling lights.
Neutral off hot line in was tied to neutrals in the 14/2's leading to the
lights.
Ground off hot line in tied to grounds in the 14/2's leading to the lights.

Is there an alternate way to treat the neutrals in this case?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mamba" wrote in message
news:jpGdnaXojalUZWbanZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@integraonlin e...
Redid a small wiring chore at a cabin last weekend, and have been thinking
about the way I did it, wondering if a real electrician would have done it
differently (besides in 1/10 the time).

Have a 14/2 running to a double box in a wall. Installed two single pole
switches in the box as follows. Not sure if Line and Load are the correct
terms when talking switches, but you get my drift:

Black off hot line in was ponytailed to two jumpers, one each to Line on
switches. Load off switches to black on 14/2 leading to two ceiling
lights.
Neutral off hot line in was tied to neutrals in the 14/2's leading to the
lights.
Ground off hot line in tied to grounds in the 14/2's leading to the
lights.

Is there an alternate way to treat the neutrals in this case?

You did it fine. The only other way would be to run a 14/3 from the switches
to one light,and a 14/2 from the first light to the second. The neutrals are
always tied together as you did

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2008 3:59 PM Mamba spake thus:

Redid a small wiring chore at a cabin last weekend, and have been thinking
about the way I did it, wondering if a real electrician would have done it
differently (besides in 1/10 the time).

Have a 14/2 running to a double box in a wall. Installed two single pole
switches in the box as follows. Not sure if Line and Load are the correct
terms when talking switches, but you get my drift:

Black off hot line in was ponytailed to two jumpers, one each to Line on
switches. Load off switches to black on 14/2 leading to two ceiling lights.
Neutral off hot line in was tied to neutrals in the 14/2's leading to the
lights.
Ground off hot line in tied to grounds in the 14/2's leading to the lights.

Is there an alternate way to treat the neutrals in this case?

I second the emotion of the post above this one. You done good.

By the way, your subject line is a complete misnomer: there ain't no
such thing as a "simple wiring task".

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Simple Q - wiring GFI Mamba[_2_] Home Repair 11 December 20th 07 08:39 PM
Confirming and/or denying what wev'e been told Arch Woodturning 4 September 25th 07 01:21 PM
Task lights Howard UK diy 19 February 17th 05 12:24 PM
What's your most unpleasant DIY task N. Thornton UK diy 0 December 25th 04 02:33 AM
simple explanation - wiring two pumps into boiler Clive M UK diy 9 August 24th 04 08:46 PM