Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trickle Chargers?

"Many battery manufacturers do not recommend long term ( months at a
time) trickle charging. If trickle charging is used then the charge
rate should be very low or only intermittent. The best smart chargers
will only send an occasional pulse charge to the battery once it is
charged. They do not apply a continuous low rate of charge. Some
battery resellers state that applying a continuous trickle charge of
about 1/10th the battery's capacity is not harmful. However, we have
not seen any battery manufacturer condone the practice."
per all-battery site.

I'd like to start using those cheap solar units to keep my fence
charger and my vehicles that I don't drive much charged up. Anyone
use them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 8:18 am, Duff wrote:

I'd like to start using those cheap solar units to keep my fence
charger and my vehicles that I don't drive much charged up. Anyone
use them?

Used to, to keep the old pickemup charged while I was on the road for
4-12 weeks at a time. No problems to report.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Duff wrote:
I'd like to start using those cheap solar units to keep my fence
charger and my vehicles that I don't drive much charged up. Anyone
use them?

My lawn tractor's battery used to go dead when it hadn't been used for a while.
I bought a battery tender for about $5 from Harbor Freight which has been a very
pleasant surprise. Last week I pulled it out for the first time since September
and it cranked right up.

Unfortunately for your purposes it's not a solar unit; you have to plug it in.
But for $5, it's a cheap way to keep a battery charged without any apparent
damage.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com