DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Will Liquid Nails bleed through composite marble window sills? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/242524-will-liquid-nails-bleed-through-composite-marble-window-sills.html)

Doc April 8th 08 03:01 AM

Will Liquid Nails bleed through composite marble window sills?

The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my
window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not
true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over
time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's
applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and
use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

Norminn April 8th 08 03:07 AM

Doc wrote:

The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my
window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not
true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over
time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's
applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and
use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

I have no idea about your liquid nails and composite marble. We have
marble sills with, perhaps,
a half-inch overhang. Appears all that holds them in place is the trim
strip down each side of the
window frame and caulk around the edge of the sill. Very secure,
whatever the method.

Joe April 8th 08 03:32 AM

On Apr 7, 8:01*pm, Doc wrote:
The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my
window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not
true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over
time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's
applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and
use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a fantasy story IMO. Liquid Nails won't bleed through a
1/8" piece of fiberboard. so how could it show up in a cured resin
matrix of faux marble? By the way. why would you want to nail a
machine tool to your window sill (the lathe)? Most people would use a
wood strip called a lath. G

Joe

Edwin Pawlowski April 8th 08 03:52 AM

"Doc" wrote in message
The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my
window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not
true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over
time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's
applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and
use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

Yes, I have thoughts. Stay away from Home Depot.

I'd use polyurethane construction adhesive. Tough stuff.

Big_Jake April 8th 08 04:58 AM

On Apr 7, 8:01 pm, Doc wrote:
The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my
window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not
true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over
time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's
applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and
use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

Not exactly the same, but...

Our kitchen countertops have a fake (cast plastic) limestone "cap"
around the edges, which I originally adhered with thin-set. After
several of them fell off, I asked the pros at a local tile shop what
they would use, and it turned out to be high strength construction
adhesive.

JK

glen stark April 8th 08 11:01 AM

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 01:52:24 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, I have thoughts. Stay away from Home Depot.

I find that an interesting thought. How come? What are good alternatives?

Edwin Pawlowski April 8th 08 11:53 AM

"glen stark" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 01:52:24 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, I have thoughts. Stay away from Home Depot.

I find that an interesting thought. How come? What are good
alternatives?

Your local lumber yard, hardware stores, appliance dealers, etc. Home Depot
has 500,000 items, but never what you really want. They carry a lot of
mediocre brands and products. You can often beat their prices too.

The big box stores give the impression they have well trained and
knowledgeable staff, but in fact, most are not.

Doc April 8th 08 12:13 PM

On Apr 7, 9:32*pm, Joe wrote:

Sounds like a fantasy story IMO. Liquid Nails won't bleed through a
1/8" piece of fiberboard. so how could it show up in a cured resin
matrix of faux marble?

I've never heard of this but am by no means an expert on construction
issues and know enough to know there's a lot I don't know on the
subject. That's why I'm tapping into the collected wisdom of folks
here. :-)

By the way. why would you want to nail a
machine tool to your window sill (the lathe)? Most people would use a
wood strip called a lath. G

Are you kidding? It's all the rage. Just last week Martha Stewart had
a segment on how a milling machine attached to your living room window
adds that perfect homey touch.

Doc April 8th 08 12:17 PM

On Apr 7, 9:07*pm, Norminn wrote:

Appears all that holds them in place is the trim
strip down each side of the
window frame and caulk around the edge of the sill. *Very secure,
whatever the method.

It doesn't appear to me that it would be necessary to be too concerned
with securing them, they're basically there for appearance and don't
bear any weight other than their own.

Duff[_2_] April 8th 08 02:29 PM

Will Liquid Nails bleed through composite marble window sills?

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 18:01:26 -0700 (PDT), Doc
wrote:

The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my
window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not
true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over
time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's
applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and
use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

I use clear silicone and Goop for everything. Never had a failure or
bleedthru yet.

Big_Jake April 8th 08 03:03 PM

wrote:

The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my
window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not
true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over
time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's
applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and
use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

I use clear silicone and Goop for everything. Never had a failure or
bleedthru yet.

Goop is a hand cleaner!

http://www.goophandcleaner.com/

JK

Norminn April 8th 08 03:46 PM

wrote:

The guy at Home Depot said that if I use Liquid Nails to adhere my
window sills - which he said are some kind of composite marble, not
true marble - directly to the exposed wood frame of the window, over
time it will bleed through and become visible in the shape that it's
applied. His assertion was that I should nail lathe to the frame and
use thinset for the sills.

Thoughts?

I use clear silicone and Goop for everything. Never had a failure or
bleedthru yet.

Goop is a hand cleaner!

http://www.goophandcleaner.com/

JK

I think he meant one or the other - if it isn't a clear silicone job, it
must be a goop job. I use clear
silicone for everything, but have never tried goop. Favorite tool is
razor-blade scraper....takes off
clear silicone, burn on grease, old tape residue, etc. Mebbe I should
try goop? :o)

Oren[_2_] April 8th 08 11:30 PM

Will Liquid Nails bleed through composite marble window sills?

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:53:58 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"glen stark" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 01:52:24 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, I have thoughts. Stay away from Home Depot.

I find that an interesting thought. How come? What are good
alternatives?

Your local lumber yard, hardware stores, appliance dealers, etc. Home Depot
has 500,000 items, but never what you really want. They carry a lot of
mediocre brands and products. You can often beat their prices too.

The big box stores give the impression they have well trained and
knowledgeable staff, but in fact, most are not.

Those were trick questions ;)

Duff[_2_] April 9th 08 12:12 AM

Will Liquid Nails bleed through composite marble window sills?

Yes, the hand cleaner is nice, but the adhesive is better:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infadh/infgoo.html

mm April 9th 08 04:37 AM

Will Liquid Nails bleed through composite marble window sills?

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 03:13:46 -0700 (PDT), Doc
wrote:

By the way. why would you want to nail a
machine tool to your window sill (the lathe)? Most people would use a
wood strip called a lath. G

Are you kidding? It's all the rage. Just last week Martha Stewart had
a segment on how a milling machine attached to your living room window
adds that perfect homey touch.

Plus you can get some work done while your wife makes you visit with
guests.