Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Built in microwave installation

What is the accepted minimum distance between the bottom of a built in micro
to the top of the range cooking surface below?

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..
What is the accepted minimum distance between the bottom of a built in
micro to the top of the range cooking surface below?

Charlie

Check the installation manual. Most brands are available on the web so you
can check before you buy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..
What is the accepted minimum distance between the bottom of a built in
micro to the top of the range cooking surface below?

ZERO. NADA. ZIP. POCHOSKI.

Never ever mount a microwave over a stove. Reasons: You are boiling a big
kettle of menudo on the burner. Now, you gonna stick your private parts
close to that boiling pot to put the marinara sauce in the microwave and
risk being a soprano the rest of your life?

You are gonna expose that microwave to a HUGE volume of air containing
steam, oil, smoke and crud in general? You'll never get it out unless you
totally immerse the microwave in cleaning solution about a dozen times, and
then you only get out about 50%.

I have lived in many places where I have had a microwave over a stove. I
have also built 5 residences now, and would NEVER ever place a microwave
over a stove just on safety reasons, and the hygiene issue is equal to the
safety issue.

That is just me. You can and will do whatever you want. I would dare to
say that many accidents have occurred BECAUSE of this configuration. Ever
drop anything when taking it out of the microwave. I have. You haven't? I
would just say - yet. You wanna drop that on a skillet of hot oil? Or a
lot of boiling water?

I also do not like the fact that in order to mount a microwave over a stove,
it is at a dangerous height for most people. My wife is 5'1" and she keeps
stools around to reach stuff, even though we mount the cabinets at a
standard height. We could have mounted them lower, but that would affect
the salability. I prefer a microwave at countertop height with room in
front and on the side for those times when you pick something up and have it
about half out of the microwave and say, "OH, ****" because it's burning
your fingers or spilling or whatever. Being at countertop makes it safer.
Even she, who's short, can safely handle things at countertop height. I
can't imagine her standing on a stool reaching over a stovetop of hot pots
to get something in or out of the microwave. If anything happens, it's
going to be messy and painful.

As I say, you can and will do what you want, but just think about it a
moment. And reflect on this if the worst ever happens.

Now I feel better.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve, I agree with you. My spouse wants to free up counter space. I am
trying to get the mounting height show I can show her using a cardboard
cutout just how high it would have to be. Our daughter has pointed out the
dangers that you have.

At the moment we are at a standooff. The old micro is in dire need of
replacement. She doesn't want one on the counter. I said ok we will do
without one.

Charlie

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..
Steve, I agree with you. My spouse wants to free up counter space. I am
trying to get the mounting height show I can show her using a cardboard
cutout just how high it would have to be. Our daughter has pointed out
the dangers that you have.

At the moment we are at a standooff. The old micro is in dire need of
replacement. She doesn't want one on the counter. I said ok we will do
without one.

Charlie

We've had a MW over our range for over 20 years now. None of the problems
Steve points out have occurred to us. Surprisingly, cleaning is not a big
deal.

Is that our first choice? No, but we don't have enough counterspace
otherwise. Works for us, may or may not for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..
What is the accepted minimum distance between the bottom of a built in
micro to the top of the range cooking surface below?

ZERO. NADA. ZIP. POCHOSKI.

Never ever mount a microwave over a stove. Reasons: You are boiling a
big kettle of menudo on the burner. Now, you gonna stick your private
parts close to that boiling pot to put the marinara sauce in the
microwave and risk being a soprano the rest of your life?

Nonsense...... here's a link for you

http://tinyurl.com/8thbh

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Carly" wrote in message ...

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..
What is the accepted minimum distance between the bottom of a built in
micro to the top of the range cooking surface below?

ZERO. NADA. ZIP. POCHOSKI.

Never ever mount a microwave over a stove. Reasons: You are boiling a
big kettle of menudo on the burner. Now, you gonna stick your private
parts close to that boiling pot to put the marinara sauce in the
microwave and risk being a soprano the rest of your life?

Nonsense...... here's a link for you

http://tinyurl.com/8thbh

I'm sorry, but my mind is already made up. I'm sixty years old. I've been
cooking 52 years. I've built five houses and done renovations and remodels
that we don't have time for here.

My experience and observations in countless situations is not nonsense.
Things happen in life. I've seen a lot of them. I've done a lot of them.

My whole point was to inspire thought, which I seem to have done. Having
done that, I'm happy. Maybe I can save someone a trip to the burn unit.

Ever been there? Silly stupid human tricks that not one patient would have
thought would have ever happened.

Proceed with your Pollyannish life and perhaps you will be lucky and never
run into a bad accident. For those of us who've seen bad things happen to
good people, please do not bore me with a psychobabble approach of labeling
my experience "nonsense".

No one here is required to take any of my advice, opinions, or experiences
to heart. I do not rule the world, and can be wrong. I don't label other
people's advice, opinion, or experience as "nonsense" because it is real and
they lived it.

That's why people buy insurance and why there are funeral homes.

**** happens no matter how careful we are.

Even you if you live long enough.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:34:44 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

We've had a MW over our range for over 20 years now. None of the problems
Steve points out have occurred to us. Surprisingly, cleaning is not a big
deal.

Is that our first choice? No, but we don't have enough counterspace
otherwise. Works for us, may or may not for you.

Amen! Mine works well also. Seems strange that they would come
approved for that use, with connection (as a replacement) to the vent
hood system, and lights to illuminate the cooktop, if they should
"never" be installed in that mode.
Can things go wrong? Of course. But anecdotal evidence is never
proof of anything except to the folks involved in the case. Cite me a
study with statistical proof, and I, for one, will be happy to
reconsider.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We've had a MW over our range for over 20 years now. None of the problems
Steve points out have occurred to us. Surprisingly, cleaning is not a big
deal.

Is that our first choice? No, but we don't have enough counterspace
otherwise. Works for us, may or may not for you.

Amen! Mine works well also. Seems strange that they would come
approved for that use, with connection (as a replacement) to the vent
hood system, and lights to illuminate the cooktop, if they should
"never" be installed in that mode.
Can things go wrong? Of course. But anecdotal evidence is never
proof of anything except to the folks involved in the case. Cite me a
study with statistical proof, and I, for one, will be happy to
reconsider.

In one house, I had a mw over the range. I rarely use the mw when using
the range, as I do
mainly warm-ups in mw. I once left a stove burner on in the evening,
nothing on the burner.
I woke during the night and thought I heard the exhaust fan of the mw
going on and off. I
decided there was a burglar in the house trying to terrorize me and
finally marched out to
confront the burglar ) Dumb! No burglar. Apparently the heat caused
the fan to cycle
on and off ..... I have no idea whether it was designed to do that or not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We've had a MW over our range for over 20 years now. None of the problems
Steve points out have occurred to us. Surprisingly, cleaning is not a big
deal.

Is that our first choice? No, but we don't have enough counterspace
otherwise. Works for us, may or may not for you.

Amen! Mine works well also. Seems strange that they would come
approved for that use, with connection (as a replacement) to the vent
hood system, and lights to illuminate the cooktop, if they should
"never" be installed in that mode.
Can things go wrong? Of course. But anecdotal evidence is never
proof of anything except to the folks involved in the case. Cite me a
study with statistical proof, and I, for one, will be happy to
reconsider.

I wonder just how many of these are not even vented to the outside. I"ve
seen plenty. The suction just picks the smoke up and returns it to the
room, in most cases blowing it right back at the cook for inhalation. Can
you put a microwave over a stove? Certainly. Would I do it? No.

All life is choices. Remember clear plastic furniture covers? Carpet
runners? Things one person HAD to have, and another would never own?

Choices.

Please read the part where I just stated the down sides, and where I said
that every person can and will do what THEY want. Some people do it and
wind up with an ooey gooey mess in ten years. Others don't.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 19:07:23 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

Agreed. We have one in our camper. I like coffee hot, and I really
dislike pulling a cup of hot coffee out of the microwave near boiling
at head height. I could see one of the built-in oven/microwave units,
maybe, but not over the stove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I once left a stove burner on in the evening,
nothing on the burner.
I woke during the night and thought I heard the exhaust fan of the mw
going on and off. I
decided there was a burglar in the house trying to terrorize me and
finally marched out to
confront the burglar ) Dumb! No burglar. Apparently the heat caused
the fan to cycle
on and off ..... I have no idea whether it was designed to do that or not?

That's normal. There is a hood thermostat that detects the heat to
protect your microwave from overheating or steam contamination from
the stove.

William E. Miller, AS-EET

http://www.microwavedisplay.com