Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative to copper tubing for lpg

I will be installing quite a bit of copper tubing. Probably a 60' run of
3/8" hi-pressure run and several normal pressure 1/2" runs in the
neighborhood of 50-75 feet and possibly a 3/4" run of 25 feet or so (large
tankless water heater).
Wondering if there is a lower cost do-it-yourself alternative to copper
tubing. I installed underground plastic tube supplied by LPG dealer and they
came out to install the fittings and terminate it to the tank and regulator.
They way I get it the plastic fitting is a proprietary system that requires
some special connectors, tools and training. Even if this stuff was adequate
for indoors use, by the time I paid for the tube, fittings and the service
man to install all the connectors I'm back at the price of copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
I will be installing quite a bit of copper tubing. Probably a 60' run of
3/8" hi-pressure run and several normal pressure 1/2" runs in the
neighborhood of 50-75 feet and possibly a 3/4" run of 25 feet or so (large
tankless water heater).
Wondering if there is a lower cost do-it-yourself alternative to copper
tubing. I installed underground plastic tube supplied by LPG dealer and they
came out to install the fittings and terminate it to the tank and regulator.
They way I get it the plastic fitting is a proprietary system that requires
some special connectors, tools and training. Even if this stuff was adequate
for indoors use, by the time I paid for the tube, fittings and the service
man to install all the connectors I'm back at the price of copper.

I used black pipe for a similar project. Cutting/threading is easy when
using those sizes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 7, 11:11*am, "S. Barker" wrote:
Black iron. *But you'll need to rent a threader and cutter.

snip

Good idea, but check rental prices first, For what our local store
charges, the bargain tools at Harbor Freight will be cheaper if the
project takes a few days.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

good point, and especially if you think you'll ever need it again. I bought
my rigid threader on ebay for about $100 with 5 dies, and 2 cutters.

I wouldn't buy a dog turd from HF.

"Joe" wrote in message
On Apr 7, 11:11 am, "S. Barker" wrote:
Black iron. But you'll need to rent a threader and cutter.

snip

Good idea, but check rental prices first, For what our local store
charges, the bargain tools at Harbor Freight will be cheaper if the
project takes a few days.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
Black iron. But you'll need to rent a threader and cutter.

My local hardware store sells the pipe and also cuts and threads it.

Don Young

"Jeff Dieterle" wrote in message
I will be installing quite a bit of copper tubing. Probably a 60' run of
3/8" hi-pressure run and several normal pressure 1/2" runs in the
neighborhood of 50-75 feet and possibly a 3/4" run of 25 feet or so (large
tankless water heater).
Wondering if there is a lower cost do-it-yourself alternative to copper
tubing. I installed underground plastic tube supplied by LPG dealer and
they came out to install the fittings and terminate it to the tank and
regulator. They way I get it the plastic fitting is a proprietary system
that requires some special connectors, tools and training. Even if this
stuff was adequate for indoors use, by the time I paid for the tube,
fittings and the service man to install all the connectors I'm back at
the price of copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

galvanized is strictly not recommended. It's not against code, but it can
'flake' and plug orifices.

wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:42:27 -0500, "S. Barker"
wrote:

"Jeff Dieterle" wrote in message
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I read somewhere the black pipe was not
recommended for LPG, however it is ok for natural gas.

Yes, you are mistaken.

I still don't see it used in Florida. LPG is piped with plastic
underground and copper inside or galvanized outside above ground on
the low pressure side of the regulator.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

S. Barker wrote:
....top posting repaired...

"Jeff Dieterle" wrote in message
...black pipe was not recommended for LPG, ...

I still don't see it used in Florida. LPG is piped with plastic
underground and copper inside or galvanized outside above ground on
the low pressure side of the regulator.

galvanized is strictly not recommended. It's not against code, but it
can 'flake' and plug orifices.

Some local codes, at least, do prohibit galvanized...

Recently there have been some studies that indicate that usage isn't as
much an issue as was one time thought (zinc reaction w/ trace
contaminants) but other data I've seen indicate that w/ more imported
gas and domestic supplies becoming more limited that those issues may
becoming more significant again...

Overall, I'd recommend against it (galvanized, that is) simply on basis
of long-time precedent irregardless of local code on the issue for
either NG or LP or LNG.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Dieterle wrote:
I will be installing quite a bit of copper tubing. Probably a 60' run of
3/8" hi-pressure run and several normal pressure 1/2" runs in the
neighborhood of 50-75 feet and possibly a 3/4" run of 25 feet or so (large
tankless water heater).
Wondering if there is a lower cost do-it-yourself alternative to copper
tubing. I installed underground plastic tube supplied by LPG dealer and they
came out to install the fittings and terminate it to the tank and regulator.
They way I get it the plastic fitting is a proprietary system that requires
some special connectors, tools and training. Even if this stuff was adequate
for indoors use, by the time I paid for the tube, fittings and the service
man to install all the connectors I'm back at the price of copper.

I'm suprised no one mentioned CSST (corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing).
With the high price of copper, it's worth looking into.