Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer moister problem.

In the apartment building where I work, we have stackable
washer/dryers installed. The dryers are gas. We have had the duct
cleaned out several times in the last few weeks to be "sure" that they
are not clogged. The problem is that the tenant (same tenant)
complains that there is moister inside her dryer, or on the outside
door of the dryer. We cannot find any reason for this. The vent
pipes are 4" pipe that gang into a 6" pipe farther down the line. We
had been told that that was our problem, but it has been hooked up the
same for twenty years without a problem. It is occurring in two
buildings (separate tenants, of course). We only use Whirlpool
appliances and are completely at a loss.

I was wondering if you had ever heard of such a problem?

In one of the apartments, we switched out he washer/dryer unit, but
they still call with the same problem. I personally haven't seen the
water that has formed, because when we get there it is dry. We can't
duplicated the problem, thus, cannot fix it. It seems to happen once
every three weeks.

I had read that it could be a by-product of the gas, but it is only
happening in 1 unit out of 6 and the gas is run in the same pipes for
all the units, so wouldn't they all show this problem if it is the
gas?

We've checked the units several times. We had a Whirlpool repair
person check it and everything is working correctly.

Could it be just a tenant with a loose canon?

argh. Thanks for reading.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Astriapo" wrote in message
[...]

If you can't see it, you can't fix it. Could be a lot of reasons so you
have to check the circumstances. When does the moisture actually occur?

Natural gas does contain water and it will condense when burned. If there
is a cold draft near the dryer it is possible that would condense it. The
dryer is blowing air out of the building so air must be sucked in from some
place. If the laundry room is closed up, it may be sucking colder air from
along a vent or other opening to the outside.

Moisture inside the dryer is a tough one. Does it happen after she runs it,
or is it there before she actually uses it? If that is the case, it may be
cold air coming back through the vent and causing condensation. Do they run
a humidifier? Laundry room doors open or closed?

What do these two tenants do that others do not? Do they run the dryer
after someone takes a shower? Taking a shower and then having cold air
coming from the vent can cause condensation.

My guess is t hat nothing is wrong with the appliance, but the right set of
circumstances makes the condensation. The cure is probably something simple
also, like caulking around a vent, opening a door during use, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Astriapo wrote:

In the apartment building where I work, we have stackable
washer/dryers installed. The dryers are gas. We have had the duct
cleaned out several times in the last few weeks to be "sure" that they
are not clogged. The problem is that the tenant (same tenant)
complains that there is moister inside her dryer, or on the outside
door of the dryer. We cannot find any reason for this. The vent

Moisture on the outside of the dryer? That is bizarre! That, alone,
should be the clue that
something is wrong outside of the dryer.........dryer vent separated or
clogged? AC vent
that blows cold air onto the dryer? The outside of the dryer would have
to be cooler in
order for condensation to form on it, right????? That seems highly
unlikely. Do they run
a dryer cycle on "air only", the air is cold and the room humid?

[...]

Are there CO alarms? Working?

We've checked the units several times. We had a Whirlpool repair
person check it and everything is working correctly.

Could it be just a tenant with a loose canon?

Worth considering. Have them keep a log of what they are doing when the
moisture problem
occurs and where, exactly, the moisture appears.

argh. Thanks for reading.

GE Dryer Problem LCZ Home Repair 6 December 24th 05 02:52 PM
Dryer Problem [email protected] Home Repair 11 November 13th 05 04:33 PM
Moister Meters John H Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 11:17 AM
GE Dryer problem David L. Hanson Home Repair 5 January 2nd 05 03:18 PM
Dryer problem David L. Hanson Home Ownership 1 December 31st 04 11:57 PM