Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT; Answering mach for 6 rings?

"nick hull" wrote

I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

Any reason you can't get a phone that has a second handset?
I had a similar problem, easily solved by plugging in a phone
near me.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

nick hull wrote:
I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they
hear the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits
longer to pick up?

1. Get a caller-id display and call them back.
2. Sign up with an answering service.
3. Your telephone company may offer call messaging and it might have a
variable delay.

If I call someone and they don't answer by the second or third ring, I hang
up anyway.

If, by chance, I get an answering machine, I stutter "Oh god, I really
wanted to take to the suicide-prevention hotline..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Through my phone service with the cable company , I can program how
many times it rings before it goes to voicemail.

Posted to alt.home.repair
stu stu is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
nick hull wrote:
I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they
hear the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits
longer to pick up?

1. Get a caller-id display and call them back.
2. Sign up with an answering service.
3. Your telephone company may offer call messaging and it might have a
variable delay.

If I call someone and they don't answer by the second or third ring, I

hang
up anyway.

If, by chance, I get an answering machine, I stutter "Oh god, I really
wanted to take to the suicide-prevention hotline..."

Take to them with what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

Through my phone service with the cable company , I can program how
many times it rings before it goes to voicemail.

That's like our problem calling Dad. The ld company kills
the call if not answered in 30 sec. Easy, now everyone
calling him rings for 3 rings, hangs up, calls back a few
minutes later. He can now answer since he's setting there
waiting, or not- if he's over at the neighbors.

No more "$#%^$#, someone calls and hangs up before I get there"

-- larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:43:20 -0600, nick hull wrote:

I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

I havn't answered my phone in many years--too many telemarketers and I
hate interruptions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Mikepier wrote:

Through my phone service with the cable company , I can program how
many times it rings before it goes to voicemail.

I don't have cable and it will never come to where I live

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aspasia wrote:
Oh, so YOU'RE the one who has been hanging up just as I get to the
phone from the (kitchen) (yard) (bathroom) (bedroom) (front porch)
or whereever else I have been pursuing my life!

Oh, that's all right...I don't mind having (barked my shin) (tripped
over some shoes in the hall) (dinged my elbow on the door frame)
(scattered papers on the floor) (done other damage), in my haste to
get to the phone "by the second or third ring".

I know you meant well; you assumed I spend the day -- and evening --
sitting by the phone waiting for your call. I do realize that YOUR
time is much more valuable than MINE, so you can't wait for me to get
to the phone, or for my ans. machine to pick up...

At last, someone who actually understands the problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aspasia wrote:

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:43:20 -0600, nick hull wrote:

I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

??? I thought ans. machines offered the user the option of setting how
many rings. Is there an upper limit?

Aspasia

Unfortunately yes ;(

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

I have decided that if the caller declines to leave a message, they did not
consider the call important.

And so do I.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 11:43�pm, nick hull wrote:
I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). �The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. �Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

i dont have a good answer but feel the pain haviung needed wierd stuff
in the past.

some comuter software includes answering capability with customizable
stuff like number of rings etc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 21:43:20 -0600, nick hull wrote:

I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

I need 6 rings too.

The answering machine I use now is built-in to a multi-handset
cordless phone (Uniden TRU9480,
http://www.uniden.com/products/produ...roduct=TRU9480)
which can be set for 6 rings.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 09:54:04 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

I have decided that if the caller declines to leave a message, they did not
consider the call important.

And so do I.

Charlie

I have caller ID, and if it shows any of:

1. blocked CID
2. unknown name/number (unless I'm expecting such a call)
3. toll-free (one I don't recognize and want)
4. business name (one I don't recognize and want)
5. business or person known to be annoying

I let the machine get it. There's almost never a message.

I am on the national Do Not Call list, but this catches most of the
exceptions. I pick up the phone if it seems to really be an important
call.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had one like that once. To make matters worse, if there was one message
on the machine (not yet listened to) it always answered on the second ring.
I guess it assumed that if you haven't listened to messages, you weren't
available. It was AT&T.

I hated that machine.

I now have cordless phone/answering machine combo. Much better.
"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

nick hull wrote:
I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

You probably won't find one. However, Radio Shack (among others) sells a little
gadget that plugs in between the wall and the answering machine that should shut
off the machine the second you do answer the phone. It's only a few dollars.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

nick hull wrote:
I need an answering machine that won't pick up until the 6th ring (at
least). The only ones I find pick up on the 2nd or 4th ring, i can't
get to the phone that fast and most people hang up as soon as they hear
the recording. Any ideas on where to find a machine that waits longer
to pick up?

AT&T answering machines do that. Eg - the #1760 allows you to select 1-7
rings. Manual is on line at
http://telephones.att.com/docMgt/pub...760_manual.pdf

I have another AT&T model that allows 1-6 (I think. I know I have it at
a high number but can't remember exactly).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" writes:
I had one like that once. To make matters worse, if there was one message
on the machine (not yet listened to) it always answered on the second ring.
I guess it assumed that if you haven't listened to messages, you weren't
available. It was AT&T.

That's usually called a "toll saver" feature. I'm surprised it couldn't
be turned off. The basic idea is this:

* Your answering machine provides remote access. You use this by
calling the machine, waiting for it to answer, interrupting the outgoing
message with #1234 (or whatever 4-digit security code you chose). The
machine shuts up and listens for DTMF tones. By pressing buttons on a
tone phone, you can listen to messages, delete them, change the
outgoing message, and anything else you could do if you were at home
in the physical presence of the machine.

* If you are on a trip, you call your answering machine frequently to
check for messages.

* But you don't want to pay for a long distance call when there aren't
any new messages waiting. So, when "toll saver" is turned on, the
machine answers after 2 rings with new messages, but 4 with only old
messages. When you call home to check, you can hang up after 3 rings
and know there are no new messages, without paying anything.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 4:19*pm, (Dave Martindale) wrote:
"trailer" writes:
[...]

ask this guy
Try www.therooftech.com