Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Default April Aire Humidifier Installation Question

Hi;

I had an April Aire 650 Whole House humidifier installed in my house.
It is a bypass model. They ran a thermocouple outside and I am not
quite grasping why. I am not questioning the install, I am just trying
to understand the concept. I can see where the unit would like to know
the temperature of the air so it can figure out the relative humidity,
but to take that reading outside doesn't seem logical since it is
using the return air in the house. It would seem to make more sense to
me to place the thermocouple in the return air duct. Am I missing
something? Please explain if you have the time.

Thanks
Pat
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

Thanks to both of you for clearing that up :-)
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 4:51*pm, komobu wrote:
Hi;

I had an April Aire 650 Whole House humidifier installed in my house.
It is a bypass model. They ran a thermocouple outside and I am not
quite grasping why. I am not questioning the install, I am just trying
to understand the concept. I can see where the unit would like to know
the temperature of the air so it can figure out the relative humidity,
but to take that reading outside doesn't seem logical since it is
using the return air in the house. It would seem to make more sense to
me to place the thermocouple in the return air duct. Am I missing
something? Please explain if you have the time.

Thanks
Pat

You set the unit till you see condensation somewhere, usualy on glass,
then back it off till there is no condensation and leave that setting,
it tracks the right amount of moisture you can have based on outside
temp so no damage occurs to your home from over humidifying, which
leads to mold and rot. You have a great humidifier.
Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
The sensor tells the unit how cold it is outside. When it gets very
cold line -20º you don't want the interior humidity to be as high as you
might want it when it is say 40º. If you tried to maintain 60% humidity
when it is -20º outside, you would tend to get a lot of moisture freezing
on windows, condensing in wall insulation etc.

You go Joe :-)

Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair

"KJPRO" KJPRO @ NEWS . COM wrote in message

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
The sensor tells the unit how cold it is outside. When it gets very
cold line -20º you don't want the interior humidity to be as high as you
might want it when it is say 40º. If you tried to maintain 60% humidity
when it is -20º outside, you would tend to get a lot of moisture freezing
on windows, condensing in wall insulation etc.

You go Joe :-)

I was going to say the same thing! Bravo Meester Meehan.

I've had to explain that to a lot of customers, but methinks I will just
print your answer out on little cards...

;-]