Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blow in Cellulose

I have a section of lower-level ceiling behind drywall next to the rim
joist that is cold. I'd like to insulate it. I remember reading in this
newsgroup that someone took a leaf blower and blew cellulose with some
success.

Has anyone done that with good results? I don't want to hire a company for
such a small job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 5, 5:33 am, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:
I have a section of lower-level ceiling behind drywall next to the rim
joist that is cold. I'd like to insulate it. I remember reading in this
newsgroup that someone took a leaf blower and blew cellulose with some
success.

Has anyone done that with good results? I don't want to hire a company for
such a small job.

Not knocking cellulose, but you are likely to get condensation next to
a rim joist, unless you can install a vapor barrier. I'd recommend
cutting rigid foam to fit and using a foam gun to get a good seal
between the foam and the wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Buck Turgidson" wrote:

I have a section of lower-level ceiling behind drywall next to the rim
joist that is cold. I'd like to insulate it. I remember reading in this
newsgroup that someone took a leaf blower and blew cellulose with some
success.

Has anyone done that with good results? I don't want to hire a company for
such a small job.

I love cellulose- but I'm with Marson on this one. I'd go at it
first with expanding foam on the coldest day of the year & locate all
the infiltration points. Then I'd use rigid foam sealed with the
expanding stuff.

Cellulose installed with a leave blower is an exercise in futility.

The machine to blow cellulose is usually a free loan when you buy the
cellulose from the big box stores--- But filling a 10" cavity for just
a few feet is not cellulose's strong suit. Wall cavities and
attics are.

Jim