Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Main Panel and Sub Panel questions and the NEC

On 2008-03-31, Guy Noir wrote:

Sure, the fuse disconnect from the meter was replaced by circuit
breakers, but the sub panels themselves have no main, lugs only. So
the circuit goes from the main panel breaker to the sub lug only.
Just curious if the replacements subs need mains or main lugs are
fine as a replacement....

Main lugs are fine at the subpanel as long as the feeder is protected
at its source by a circuit breaker sized to its wire size. Perhaps
you could provide a small diagram of the service conductors, the
meter, the disconnect, the breakers, and the feeders?

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-03-31, Guy Noir wrote:

Sure, the fuse disconnect from the meter was replaced by circuit
breakers, but the sub panels themselves have no main, lugs only. So
the circuit goes from the main panel breaker to the sub lug only.
Just curious if the replacements subs need mains or main lugs are
fine as a replacement....

Main lugs are fine at the subpanel as long as the feeder is protected
at its source by a circuit breaker sized to its wire size. *Perhaps
you could provide a small diagram of the service conductors, the
meter, the disconnect, the breakers, and the feeders?

Cheers, Wayne

Sure enough Wayne.

-----Line from pole-----meter------Main Panel Lugs only------55 Amp
Breaker in Main Panel---------Sub Panel 1 Lugs only

--------55 Amp Breaker in Main Panel---------Sub Panel 2 Lugs only

Another question, I guess, is what is the max sub panel feed I can
have and not need a Main Breaker installed in the main panel. Or, is
there a cummulative load that would require the addition of a Main
Breaker; like if I add a 3rd panel on a 3rd 55amp breaker.

TIA!
-A

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-03-31, Guy Noir wrote:

[...]

Further reading indicates that if the Main Panel exceeeds 6 circuits/
Breakers, a main disconnect will be needed. Does a 220 (2 spaces)
count as 1 circuit/breaker?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-03-31, Guy Noir wrote:

[...]

If there is not a 200 amp disconnect at the meter equipment, you are limited
to six disconnects in or at the main panel. The sub panels do not need
disconnects in them unless they are in separate buildings, garages, out
buildings, etc, but if the main panel is larger than what will hold 6-
double pole breakers, you need a main disconnect to use those spaces

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-03-31, Guy Noir wrote:

[...]

One handle, regardless if single or double, is one disconnect