Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewage hole

I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

Most of the plumbers I see doing this use a towel or large rag. I think
that there are plugs available for this as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

Stuff a rag into the top of the pipe. Keep it covered as long as you'd
like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message
I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

Stuff a rag into the top of the pipe. Keep it covered as long as you'd
like.

For the few dollars I prefer the much better seal of one of the
expanding rubber plugs. A rag will keep debris from falling down the
hole, but does little to prevent gasses from escaping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

stuff it with a rag, cover with a piece of plywood, anything will work.
And you can leave it that way forever if you please.

wrote in message
I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

Will single hole faucet fit widespread center hole? dke3591 Home Repair 4 March 15th 07 04:58 PM
Pumped sewage Andrew Mawson UK diy 12 February 13th 07 02:05 PM
Sewage Back-up mcd Home Repair 10 July 13th 06 12:44 AM
sewage back up [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
The smell of sewage Suzie-Q Home Repair 10 August 28th 05 08:20 PM