DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sewage hole (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/240661-sewage-hole.html)

[email protected] March 30th 08 12:30 AM

Sewage hole

I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

John Grabowski March 30th 08 02:12 AM

Sewage hole

wrote in message
I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

Most of the plumbers I see doing this use a towel or large rag. I think
that there are plugs available for this as well.

Edwin Pawlowski March 30th 08 02:14 AM

Sewage hole

wrote in message
I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

Stuff a rag into the top of the pipe. Keep it covered as long as you'd
like.

Pete C. March 30th 08 02:40 AM

Sewage hole

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message
I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

Stuff a rag into the top of the pipe. Keep it covered as long as you'd
like.

For the few dollars I prefer the much better seal of one of the
expanding rubber plugs. A rag will keep debris from falling down the
hole, but does little to prevent gasses from escaping.

S. Barker March 30th 08 03:16 AM

Sewage hole

stuff it with a rag, cover with a piece of plywood, anything will work.
And you can leave it that way forever if you please.

Red Green March 31st 08 02:14 AM

Sewage hole

wrote in news:9b388651-acaa-4e6d-8053-
:

I am replacing the toilet and tiling in my small basement bathroom.
Since I am doing tiling I will need to have the toilet off for several
days. After I take the toilet off, do I need to plug the toilet hole
in the floor so no sewage gases leak into my house? Please advise if
necessary to cover the hole and what should I use? And if I have to
cover the hole, how long can I keep it covered?

As replied by others, often a rag is good enough.

Now, you're working, your working, taking breaks, run to store 3 times
for supplies, walk dogs, leave over night(s). You're all done. Put new
wax gasket on toilet and set flange bolts. You carry toilet clumsily by
standing over holding with bowl between legs. You get it set, bolted
down, connect water, turn on. Tank fills no supply line leaks or bowl
leaks. This is wonderful.

What did you forget?????

Flush it and you will find out. It will overflow or flush bad. You left
the rag in the hole and put the toilet on dummy. If your real lucky, when
you pull the toilet the rag will be there. If not, it's jammed down in
the piping someplace. Probably in the worst place.

You would not be the first one to do this Francan.