Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Lawn tractor transmissions

Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. Are these really any better?
Are they as durable as regular gears?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:

Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. Are these really any better?
Are they as durable as regular gears?

Yes and no. Hydrostatic transmissions are great for the precise speed
control they give you, but they are have a down side of being far more
expensive to repair than a manual gear box and much easier to damage
with improper maintenance. For a commercial landscaping service, the
zero turn dual hydrostat units save more time than they eat in extra
maintenance, so they make sense. For home use I'd stick with a manual
gearbox.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 4:44*pm, Blattus Slafaly
wrote:
Jim wrote:
Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. *My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. *Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. *Are these really any better? *
Are they as durable as regular gears?

Of course they are better, that's why they invented them. Instead of a
set number of gears there is an unlimited range between the slowest and
fastest ratio. Usually the more you press the faster you go. The reverse
pedal usually does the same thing only in reverse. But you do have to
keep your foot on it unless you have one on the column. With real gears
you can move your feet around because they are not busy. It could be a
cost issue. They still make gear shifts on low end models.

--
Blattus Slafaly *ف ٣ * * *

The higher cost ones in the company line will probably have "cruise
control" option. John Deere does. I didn't go for it but I find no
problem mowing my 2 acre area without it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

The cruse control on my Deere is just a hold down for the drive peddle. *I
have not found it very useful to do my yard. *The front is about 100 x 200
feet.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that you usually run the motor wide
open on the hydrostatic transmissions and control the speed of the mower
with the foot peddle. This lets the blades spin up to full speed all the
time. *I had a mower *with the fixed gears and it seemed that one gear was
always too slow of a mower speed and the next faster gear required slowing
the motor to keep the speed down.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah to the fixed gear bit. I bought a Honda walkbehind 2 speed back
in the early 80s, 1st was a bit slow, 2nd a bit fast, and liked it so
much I bought another about 10 years ago. They then had a 3 speed or
hydro option. I went with the 3 spd. Big misstake! They kept the
original 2sp but added a 3rd, higher, gear. 3rd gear is so fast it
is unuseable for mowing. You would ahve to almost run to keep up.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

The hydrostatice tractors are a nuisance as you have to keep your foot
on the "gas". The manual ones allow you to select 1-6 and go. As
far as durability goes I dont know. I like to daydream/think while
mowing and found that I got slower and slower on the automatic tractor
as my foot let up. I would suggest the manual and save $200 . What
didnt you like about your old mower?

On Mar 29, 6:01*pm, Jim wrote:
Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. *My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. *Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. *Are these really any better? *
Are they as durable as regular gears?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim wrote:
Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. Are these really any better?
Are they as durable as regular gears?

Durability of quality-built machines is fine--

Agree w/ other comments so far but would add if have a significant slope
you may find the solid gearing beneficial as the variable speed drive
may not have sufficient braking on downhill slope to avoid significant
speedup...found this on a trial JD green unit in TN so went w/ the
manual shift for that application.

On the speed control, agree they're of minimal value unless have really
large, uninterrupted areas of going 'round 'n 'round for quite a long
time w/o obstructions--not particularly common for residential lawns
outside an estate-sized place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 3/29/2008 6:01 PM Jim said the following:
Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. Are these really any better?
Are they as durable as regular gears?

Mine ( a Murray Garden Tractor) has been running 12 months a year for
more than 15 years without any problems. I mow with it in the summer,
and snow blow with it in the winter. The tranny has never had any
problems and hasn't required any maintenance, or even an oil change, if
it contains oil at all.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

MOST hydrostatic tractors both big and small allow for a set amount of
hydro. You don't have to 'hold' them. You obviously had some heapy cheapy
sears fokker or something.

On Mar 29, 6:01 pm, Jim wrote:
Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. Are these really any better?
Are they as durable as regular gears?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

I don't know about Sears's yard tractors but their garden tractors do have a
cruise control. You hold the pedal where you want it and pull up on the
cruise control lever, remove your foot from the pedal and that's it.
There's a little fall back in speed but only a small amount. I did have
trouble getting used to the hydro but it has been flawless for the past two
years. Longevity is another issue and that will be a variable factor for
anyone. There is an oil change interval in the hydro but it's quite long -
I just don't know what it is as I write this. Best of luck on your
decision.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
Looking to purchase a consumer grade lawn tractor. My 18 year old Sears
(Murry) riding mower has manually selected gears. Many of the new
machines boast hydrostatic transmissions. Are these really any better?
Are they as durable as regular gears?

Check out the Craftsman "Pro" model they've got on sale right now. Has the
bigger size of the garden tractor (but won't handle ground engaging
attachments) so it's a more comfortable fit to climb into and drive.
Hydrostatic, with cruise control. I bought one last night at their "plus
10% off" sale. It's on sale for $1799.99 less $50 for Craftsman Club
savings. With my retiree discount I got it for $1420 more or less.
Beautiful Black with yellow deck and bumper and accent graphics. Wife
thinks it looks like a bumblebee but I said "but it fits so good". My old
Craftsman is 6 speed but with my "old age" arthritis, it's just getting too
hard to climb up over the seat to get on. And the new ones with the 6 speed
shifter on the fender make it hard to slide into the seat. Get hung up on
the shifter on one side or the cut adjustment lever on the other side. No
problem with the Hydrostatic. I keep an old second tractor at my Mother's
with the hydrostatic and have never had a problem with that.

Tom G.

Which Lawn/Garden tractor? Phil[_5_] Home Repair 15 March 13th 08 05:40 AM
WHY NOT A LAWN TRACTOR ? Home Repair 15 May 5th 07 02:31 PM
MTD lawn tractor won't turn off [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 20th 06 10:16 PM
Need an engine for lawn tractor [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 4th 05 08:39 PM
Can my Craftsman 15.5 hp, 42 in. Deck Lawn Tractor use Craftsman 42 in. Deluxe Lawn Tractor Snow Thrower B52 Home Ownership 1 January 14th 04 05:31 PM