DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Right-angle drills (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/240614-re-right-angle-drills.html)

Wayne Whitney March 29th 08 04:34 PM

Right-angle drills

On 2008-03-29, Limp Arbor wrote:

I need a 'real' drill not some right angle screwdriver from B&D
since I will be using this to drill into concrete. Yeah I know an
impact drill should be used but those things are gigantic.

Hello again. As I posted previously, there are at least two companies
that make a right angle attachment for their rotary hammers: Hilti's
TE-AC angle chuck or Bosch's 1618580000 right angle attachment. Hilti
says their chuck is 5" tall. For a drilling into concrete, a regular
drill is useless, a hammer drill will progress slowly, and a rotary
hammer will progress well.

Cheers, Wayne

Lobby Dosser March 30th 08 12:07 AM

Right-angle drills

Wayne Whitney wrote:

For a drilling into concrete, a regular
drill is useless, a hammer drill will progress slowly, and a rotary
hammer will progress well.

A regular drill with a concrete bit will do fine, if you are only drilling
a few holes. I've done it.

Lowell Holmes March 30th 08 12:33 AM

Right-angle drills

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Wayne Whitney wrote:

For a drilling into concrete, a regular
drill is useless, a hammer drill will progress slowly, and a rotary
hammer will progress well.

A regular drill with a concrete bit will do fine, if you are only drilling
a few holes. I've done it.

I agree if it is small diameter holes. If you are going to drill 1" or
larger holes, it gets tough, especially if you have to go deep. I have a PC
1/2" right angle drill (electricians use them) that will certainly handle
the job. but the bits might be a weak part of the equation. The web site I
posted earlier talks about both concrete and wood drilling. The concrete
part preceded the right angle wood discussion.

As one poster mentioned, it sounds like a good time to rent a tool.

Lobby Dosser March 30th 08 02:36 AM

Right-angle drills

Wayne Whitney wrote:

For a drilling into concrete, a regular
drill is useless, a hammer drill will progress slowly, and a rotary
hammer will progress well.

A regular drill with a concrete bit will do fine, if you are only
drilling a few holes. I've done it.

I agree if it is small diameter holes. If you are going to drill 1" or
larger holes, it gets tough, especially if you have to go deep. I
have a PC 1/2" right angle drill (electricians use them) that will
certainly handle the job. but the bits might be a weak part of the
equation. The web site I posted earlier talks about both concrete and
wood drilling. The concrete part preceded the right angle wood
discussion.

As one poster mentioned, it sounds like a good time to rent a tool.

Or a good excuse to buy one. :)

As I was only planning to drill two holes for cane bolts and a couple
more for fasteners, I thought buying a new drill might seem like wretched
excess.

Lowell Holmes March 30th 08 02:53 AM

Right-angle drills

"Lowell Holmes" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
snip

Or a good excuse to buy one. :)

As I was only planning to drill two holes for cane bolts and a couple
more for fasteners, I thought buying a new drill might seem like wretched
excess.

There is no such thing to wood workers. :-)