Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are we the only ones getting screwed ?????

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:01:54 -0400, Brian wrote:

This may be off topic but here goes............

The price of home heating oil here in New Hampshire, USA just hit $3.799 a gallon, up $1.50 since
September..... My question is, are we the only ones getting screwed here in the US or has the price
gone up as much in other countries around the globe ????? I believe we're getting it shoved up our
backsides because of George Bush's war ****ing the rest of the world off, but that's just my
opinion... Please, I'm not looking to start a long flaming thread here, just interested in what
other people in other "non Bush" countries are paying...............

Thanks

I'm wondering why nobody from some places other than the USA chimed in here...... I'd love to know
what a gallon of heating oil costs in Canada, the UK, Germany etc. Hmmmmmmmmmm............

Brian

Brian..........

Kill filters - The Enema Of The Usenet !!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:38:19 -0400, Brian wrote:

[...]

Hi Brian,

I'm locked in at $0.889 per litre or $3.34 per gallon until the end of
May, however come June 1st, I'll be paying the "new customer" rate
which at this time is $1.099 per litre or $4.13 per gallon. This
price has been steadily rising over the past several weeks; in
Victoria, B.C. fuel oil now sells for $1.229 a litre ($4.62 per
gallon) so there's definately further upside potential.

Nymex crude hit an all-time high of $112.46 earlier this evening and
distillate inventories have been steadily falling. If Wednesday's EIA
report shows a further drop in inventory levels expect prices to move
up even more.

Nymex's heating oil future price is currently standing at $3.217 per
gallon. Historically speaking, retail prices are typically 50 to 75
cents above this amount.

Cheers,
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd love to know what a gallon of heating oil costs in Canada,

4 years ago, I suspected that the cost of petroluem and NG heating was going
to go up considerably in the near future. Based on that and on the fact
that we probably have the cheapest electric rates in North America (6 cents
KWh), for our new house I decided to go with an electric heat pump. We had
an American Standard (Trane) 14 SEER system put in and haven't missed the
ever increasing LARGE increases in gas & oil heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 04:35:22 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

4 years ago, I suspected that the cost of petroluem and NG heating was going
to go up considerably in the near future. Based on that and on the fact
that we probably have the cheapest electric rates in North America (6 cents
KWh), for our new house I decided to go with an electric heat pump. We had
an American Standard (Trane) 14 SEER system put in and haven't missed the
ever increasing LARGE increases in gas & oil heat.

Hi Rudy,

Good call! The previous owners of my home used 5,700 litres of
heating oil in the year prior to my purchase. I got that down to
roughly 2,000 litres through various efficiency upgrades and a new
oil-fired boiler, indirect hot water tank and Tekmar control system.

Three years ago I installed a ductless heat pump and, with that, my
fuel oil consumption over the first two years fell to 827 and 830
litres respectively. This winter, whilest somewhat colder, it should
come in at 750 litres or less -- I'll know the exact number when my
tank is topped-up later this month or next.

I use roughly 500 litres for domestic hot water purposes with the
remaining 250 or so for backup space heating during the times when the
heat pump can't keep up. Next month I will be installing a small 58
litre, 1,500-watt electric water heater to pre-heat the water that is
feed my indirect tank. By eliminating the bulk of my DHW demand, I
expect my fuel oil consumption to fall in the range of 300 litres/year
(80 gallons).

Long term, I hope to install a second ductless heat pump to better
serve the lower level and a heat pump water heater. At that point, I
will be able to eliminate oil altogether.

Cheers,
Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 6:12*pm, wrote:
*And don't get me started on crop
subsidies for the farmers themselves. *It's a racket.

Don't get started. You wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about.

Without the government subsidizing our farms, you wouldn't have
anything to eat. For 30-odd years, farmers were receiving the same
amount of money for their crops, while the price of equipment, fuel,
fertilizer all rose with inflation... and that was WITH the government
subsidies! It's only recently with the fuel crunch that the prices of
crops have risen to where they should've been all along.

You can't have your cheap food and no government subsidies to farmers.
It's one or the other. Either quit complaining or pay for your food!

I think I screwed up Shopdog Home Repair 17 July 4th 07 10:20 PM
Getting Screwed n cook Electronics Repair 2 May 31st 07 07:12 PM
i screwed up MitchA Woodworking 4 April 15th 05 04:33 PM
Screwed Again! Michael Stanford Woodworking 5 January 15th 05 03:41 PM
OT - Eb*y seller screwed me. What to do? Phil Crow Woodworking 14 August 26th 04 02:26 AM