DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Are sunrooms considered in the square fotage of a home for realestate tax purposes? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/240498-re-sunrooms-considered-square-fotage-home-realestate-tax-purposes.html)

Kompu Kid March 28th 08 11:50 PM

Are sunrooms considered in the square fotage of a home for realestate tax purposes?

I asked this elsewhere but no answers yet.

I am also wondering if and when a workshop gets included in the sq.
footage.

Any comments?

On Mar 27, 10:16 pm, Kompu Kid wrote:
Helo All:

My aunt is considering a sunroom for her home. She asked me to
research and find out how the county would treat the additional square
footage covered for real estate taxes.

She lives in San Jose Ca (Santa Clara county).

Thanks!

Deguza

DerbyDad03 March 29th 08 12:00 AM

On Mar 28, 7:50*pm, Kompu Kid wrote:
I asked this elsewhere but no answers yet.

I am also wondering if and when a workshop gets included in the sq.
footage.

Any comments?

On Mar 27, 10:16 pm, Kompu Kid wrote:

Helo All:

My aunt is considering a sunroom for her home. She asked me to
research and find out how the county would treat the additional square
footage covered for real estate taxes.

She lives in San Jose Ca (Santa Clara county).

Thanks!

Deguza- Hide quoted text -

I asked this elsewhere but no answers yet.

I'm guessing the one place you didn't ask was the county offices of
Santa Clara.

What things gets taxed (and how) in the county of Santa Clara, CA is
probably very different from what things get taxed in (and how) in
Athens County, OH or Yates County, NY or Orleans Parish, LA..

You'll get the most accurate answer directly from those that do the
taxing.

Pat March 29th 08 06:37 AM

On Mar 28, 8:00 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

For Yates County, NY, I know the answer. It's: Maybe.

There are three ways to determine value. The assessor uses either
replacement cost (based on square footage) or comparables. If it is a
s.f. calc, then yes. But it's at a lower rate because it's cheaper to
replace. But it also runs a separate depreciation table because it's
newer.

If the assessor uses comps, he/she will look at the overall value of
the home as it compares to other, similar homes. A sun room is part
of the calc. If you were, for example, the ONLY one with a sunroom,
it would be added to the value, but only at a partial amount. A
$10,000 sun room might only be adjusted by, say, $5000.

If it were in Yates County and it wasn't really a sunroom but a
covering for a handicapped ramp, then it wouldn't be assessed at all.
So it might depend on the design and what you call it.

In general. A. It won't have much of an impact and B. call your
assessor.

[email protected] March 29th 08 10:49 AM

Kompu Kid wrote:

My aunt is considering a sunroom for her home. She asked me to
research and find out how the county would treat the additional square
footage covered for real estate taxes.

My PA sunspace (a $500 32'x12'x16' tall lean-to greenhouse with a $150
building permit :-) was classified "HVAC space," so it didn't increase
the tax bill.

Nick

Phisherman March 29th 08 10:15 PM

Are sunrooms considered in the square fotage of a home for real estate tax purposes?

A realtor should know this and it varies to location. Any living area
that has controlled heat (and/or A/C), electrical outlets, insulation,
ceiling lights and windows would be included in the square footage. I
consider my workshop as included in the square footage, since it has
outlets, heat, A/C, finished walls, moldings and floor, although an
unfinished ceiling. A garage workshop, unfinished basement, unheated
enclosed patio, no.

cshenk March 30th 08 02:21 AM

Are sunrooms considered in the square fotage of a home for real estate tax purposes?

"Phisherman" wrote

A realtor should know this and it varies to location. Any living area
that has controlled heat (and/or A/C), electrical outlets, insulation,
ceiling lights and windows would be included in the square footage. I
consider my workshop as included in the square footage, since it has
outlets, heat, A/C, finished walls, moldings and floor, although an
unfinished ceiling. A garage workshop, unfinished basement, unheated
enclosed patio, no.

Correct to a point and probably what is different, has to do with variations
in areas.

I considered my old 'enclosed porch' to be a 4th bedroom but it never was to
spec for that for VA code. It is now being refixed to a proper 3 season
sunroom (in my southerly area, that is a 4 season use room because we dont
get that cold in winter). My taxes list a 3 BR house. This room when
finished, will not have heat/AC from the main house (unless you count
opening the door) and without that, can not be counted as a 'bedroom'. Also
it's slab is 1/2 inch too low (grin). It is not counted for tax purposes as
other than porch area but is in the house plans as part of the place (so is
the screened back porch).

It will have outlets on every wall (they have to add one to a wall without
one as before it wasnt required). It will be wired so I can run a simple
portable heat or AC unit in there if I want to. I'll have to figure out
venting but we are having one kneewall put in to make that easy later for AC
venting.

Neatest thing? I get a write off next year on taxes as the new structure is
much more energy efficient than the old single paned plexiglass
construction.

Frank[_9_] March 30th 08 02:34 AM

Are sunrooms considered in the square fotage of a home for real estate tax purposes?

Helo All:

My aunt is considering a sunroom for her home. She asked me to
research and find out how the county would treat the additional square
footage covered for real estate taxes.

She lives in San Jose Ca (Santa Clara county).

Thanks!

Deguza

Much cheaper than conditioned space in the house. It does not add footage to
the house but it does add value. Ask the contractor doing the sunroom but
verify with the county.