Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Project of the day- Screen door

Well, now that it's warming up we are getting back to fixing a little
something damaged by the renters, each day.

Today, we hung the screen porch door up. It's not much, just a cheap wooden
one (we will paint it later with the rest of the porch). I frgot to get a
sort of doorknob so will need to get some simple knobs like you'd use in the
kitchen and put one on each side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 1:01*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
Well, now that it's warming up we are getting back to fixing a little
something damaged by the renters, each day.

Today, we hung the screen porch door up. *It's not much, just a cheap wooden
one (we will paint it later with the rest of the porch). *I frgot to get a
sort of doorknob so will need to get some simple knobs like you'd use in the
kitchen and put one on each side.

I assume there's a question in there somehwere...

Consider sealing the door on all six sides ASAP. If you don't, you run
the risk of it absorbing moisture and warping so that it never closes
right. I made that mistake many years ago when I rushed through a
bathroom remodel and had to get a door on it before Mom came for a
visit. The door warped and I had to wait until it dried out, and
straightend out, before I could seal it. I got lucky...hit a spell of
very dry weather and the door returned to it's normal shape. I really
thought I had trashed a relatively expensive 6-panel pine door.

As far as a closure system, consider these 2 items...very traditional,
old fashioned, perfect-for-a-wooden-screen-door-on-a-porch kind of
system.

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ch-611940.aspx
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...er-656750.aspx

Slightly OT...My use of wooden screen door:

When the cats were young and the kids were younger, we worried about
the cats getting into the nursery and doing cats things to the baby
and baby items. I bought a wooden screen door at a home center and
mounted it to the door jamb. I cut a section out of the top screen
(and reframed it, of course) for better ventilation. (This was before
central air) It was mounted in such a way that the wooden door was
still usable. It lasted through 4 kids and a few cats before everyone
was old enough that it was no longer needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Today, we hung the screen porch door up. It's not much, just a cheap

wooden
one (we will paint it later with the rest of the porch). I frgot to get a
sort of doorknob so will need to get some simple knobs like you'd use in
the
kitchen and put one on each side.

I assume there's a question in there somehwere...

Nope, the the rare informational post.

Consider sealing the door on all six sides ASAP. If you don't, you run

Sorry, should have mentioned we did that already. We just havent painted
over the sealant yet.

As far as a closure system, consider these 2 items...very traditional,
old fashioned, perfect-for-a-wooden-screen-door-on-a-porch kind of
system.

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...ch-611940.aspx
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...er-656750.aspx

Thanks! We wont be putting a catch of that type on it though nor probably a
spring. You'd have to see the setting for that to make sense but not
needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73...rings/screen-d...

Thanks! *We wont be putting a catch of that type on it though nor probably a
spring. *You'd have to see the setting for that to make sense but not
needed.

You'd have to see the setting for that to make sense but not
needed.

I'll bet the house slants backwards enough that the door closes by
itself, right? g
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote
Thanks! We wont be putting a catch of that type on it though nor probably
spring. You'd have to see the setting for that to make sense but not
needed.

I'll bet the house slants backwards enough that the door closes by

itself, right? g

Naw, ;-) Just not the right framing to make a neat job of it, and no need
really.

Folding door project David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 October 14th 07 01:51 PM
Screen door help Harry Avant Home Repair 3 July 16th 06 06:42 AM
Screen Door Wood Steve B Home Repair 6 February 17th 06 06:44 PM
How to replace a screen in a non-spline screen door Theron Home Ownership 4 May 28th 05 09:59 PM
Screen Door Herman Munster Woodworking 5 February 18th 05 10:57 PM