Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can I repair a hole in shower wall ?

Hello,

We are working on an old mobile home. There is a large
hole in one of the walls ( the wall opposite the faucet ).
The wall appears to be a sheet of sorts, reminds me of
formica laminate.

A very long time ago I did a repair in a fiberglass shower
floor. I used fiberglass resin to repair it and it worked well.
It seemed to me that the fiberglass resin would stick to
anything. So my idea now is to try using it to repair this hole.

Question: Does this sound like it will work (would the resin stick
to the wall material and be water proof ), or is there some
other patch method I should refer to ?

TIA

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 8:57*am, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:
* Hello,

* We are working on an old mobile home. There is a large
*hole in one of the walls ( the wall opposite the faucet ).
*The wall appears to be a sheet of sorts, reminds me of
*formica laminate.

* A very long time ago I did a repair in a fiberglass shower
*floor. I used fiberglass resin to repair it and it worked well.
*It seemed to me that the fiberglass resin would stick to
*anything. So my idea now is to try using it to repair this hole.

*Question: Does this sound like it will work (would the resin stick
*to the wall material and be water proof ), or is there some
*other patch method I should refer to ?

*TIA

*Paul

Your idea will work although epoxy resin would be more flexible and
durable. A new shower enclosure is not so expensive and is the
preferred fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 9:57*am, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:
* Hello,

* We are working on an old mobile home. There is a large
*hole in one of the walls ( the wall opposite the faucet ).
*The wall appears to be a sheet of sorts, reminds me of
*formica laminate.

* A very long time ago I did a repair in a fiberglass shower
*floor. I used fiberglass resin to repair it and it worked well.
*It seemed to me that the fiberglass resin would stick to
*anything. So my idea now is to try using it to repair this hole.

*Question: Does this sound like it will work (would the resin stick
*to the wall material and be water proof ), or is there some
*other patch method I should refer to ?

*TIA

*Paul

Epoxy and some fiberglass sheeting would work, but probably be ugly.

If you choose to go this direction, you may want to rough up the
sorrounding area to give the epoxy some bite.

There are all sorts of products for building shower stalls, from fake
tile sheeting that attaches to a substrate with adhesive to retrofit
fiberglass sorounds that come in multiple pieces - base, side walls,
door/curtain.

Any of those will probably look better and last longer than fixing the
existing hole.

Of course this assumes you are repairing a actual shower stall - you
didn't say specifically - and not one of those mobile home bathrooms
where the whole room is the shower stall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:53:28 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

:
snip
:

Of course this assumes you are repairing a actual shower stall - you
didn't say specifically - and not one of those mobile home bathrooms
where the whole room is the shower stall.

Ooops .. Actually there is a bath tub, three walls have sort of masonite
type paneling, and of course shower head/faucets. No green board
backing. Directly across from the faucet is the wall in question. Looks
like someone punched a six inch hole in it. I had hoped to put a few
strips of wood behind the hole secured in place by wires or such, and
then filling in a couple of layers of fiberglass resin/cloth combination.
Squeejee(sp?) each coat as flat as possible, sanding between coats
to keep it somewhat smooth/flat. We aren't as concerned about looks
but do hope to keep water from seeping through.

= Paul =

Posted to alt.home.repair

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * snip
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *:

Of course this assumes you are repairing a actual shower stall - you
didn't say specifically - and not one of those mobile home bathrooms
where the whole room is the shower stall.

* Ooops .. Actually there is a bath tub, three walls have sort of masonite
*type paneling, and of course shower head/faucets. No green board
*backing. Directly across from the faucet is the wall in question. Looks
*like someone punched a six inch hole in it. I had hoped to put a few
*strips of wood behind the hole secured in place by wires or such, and
*then filling in a couple of layers of fiberglass resin/cloth combination.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:52:14 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Mar 28, 7:44*pm, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:
[...]

I hope you will have a way to check your repair periodically - in
other words - see behind the wall.

It would really suck if water was seeping through and you didn't know
it until major damage had occurred.

Good point ... No. Actually there is nothing else 'tween it and the
hallway isle. Hmmmm .. I'll have to double check on that tomorrow
though. I'll check back in tomorrow eve when we knock off work.
Lotsa piddley things to do - it's an old trailer.

= Paul =
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:57:30 -0400, Paul J. Dudley wrote:

Hello,

We are working on an old mobile home. There is a large
hole in one of the walls ( the wall opposite the faucet ).
The wall appears to be a sheet of sorts, reminds me of
formica laminate.

A very long time ago I did a repair in a fiberglass shower
floor. I used fiberglass resin to repair it and it worked well.
It seemed to me that the fiberglass resin would stick to
anything. So my idea now is to try using it to repair this hole.

Question: Does this sound like it will work (would the resin stick
to the wall material and be water proof ), or is there some
other patch method I should refer to ?

TIA

Paul

Well ... after careful consideration and advice from replies, we've
decided to go ahead and replace the whole sheet of panel.

Thank you DerbyDad03 and Lawrence for your valuable input.

= Paul =