DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Security System (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/240325-security-system.html)

The Midnight Gardener March 28th 08 03:07 AM

Security System

Can anyone recommend a good video security system? I need one that can
see at night,must be outdoor compatible, uses motion sensing and can
record to a DVR. The most important thing for me is image quality, it
must be very good. I always see those grainy crime videos on tv and
wonder why someone even bothered paying money for the system.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

Jones March 28th 08 09:33 AM

Security System

The Midnight Gardener wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a good video security system? I need
one that can see at night,must be outdoor compatible,
uses motion sensing and can record to a DVR. The most
important thing for me is image quality, it must be very
good. I always see those grainy crime videos on tv and
wonder why someone even bothered paying money for the
system.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

That would depend on your budget and your determination. I installed a DVR
card in a computer and use many different camera types but never get great
results with night surveillance. How many cameras do you want to use? What
is your ballpark budget and are you willing to do some building? Do you want
a plug'n'play setup? Can you building some enclosures to house some cameras?
Do you want wireless or wired? Do you want tilt,pan and zoom? There are so
many options.

Try he

http://www.cctvforum.com/index.php

Norman Nescio March 28th 08 11:36 AM

Security System

The Midnight Gardener wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good video security system? I need one that can
see at night,must be outdoor compatible, uses motion sensing and can
record to a DVR. The most important thing for me is image quality, it
must be very good. I always see those grainy crime videos on tv and
wonder why someone even bothered paying money for the system.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

how good doyou see in the dark? not as good as an infrared see-able
camera. yet thats not good enough for u? good luck.

Jones March 28th 08 12:55 PM

Security System

"Norman Nescio" wrote in message

The Midnight Gardener wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good video security system? I
need one that can see at night,must be outdoor
compatible, uses motion sensing and can record to a
DVR. The most important thing for me is image quality,
it must be very good. I always see those grainy crime
videos on tv and wonder why someone even bothered paying
money for the system.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

how good doyou see in the dark? not as good as an
infrared see-able camera. yet thats not good enough for
u? good luck.

I know I want to see what I am looking at better then they/it might be able
to see me. Some night vision systems are better than others and one that I
use is extremely good. I use an old Sony Handycam adapted to my system and
it works very nicely. Extremely cheaper than any other camera anywhere.

The Midnight Gardener March 28th 08 03:53 PM

Security System

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 04:33:16 -0400, "Jones" wrote:

That would depend on your budget and your determination. I installed a DVR
card in a computer and use many different camera types but never get great
results with night surveillance. How many cameras do you want to use?

i will be using 4 cameras

What
is your ballpark budget

Ballpark budget of 500.00 to 1000.00
and are you willing to do some building?

Not sure what you mean by building.
Do you want
a plug'n'play setup? Can you building some enclosures to house some cameras?
Do you want wireless or wired?

I want wireless unless there is going to be a range problem. I would
like to place the DVR at the television, so the farthest camera from
here would be about 30 to 50 feet. Currently I have a wirless dsl
router at the tv that I use for the internet connection and to
download movies from Direct TV.

Do you want tilt,pan and zoom? There are so
many options.

Don't really care about tilt, pan or zoom. The most important thing
for me is; can I see the hoodlums face or vehicle in the dark at 30
feet well enough to ID them.

ransley March 28th 08 04:53 PM

Security System

www.supercircuits.com have everything

Jones March 28th 08 05:08 PM

Security System

wrote:

That would depend on your budget and your determination.
I installed a DVR card in a computer and use many
different camera types but never get great results with
night surveillance. How many cameras do you want to use?

i will be using 4 cameras

What
is your ballpark budget

Ballpark budget of 500.00 to 1000.00
and are you willing to do some building?

Not sure what you mean by building.

I mean if you would be willing to build a camera enclosure to assure
weather Proofing or you just want stock cameras.

Do you want
a plug'n'play setup? Can you building some enclosures to
house some cameras? Do you want wireless or wired?

I want wireless unless there is going to be a range
problem. I would like to place the DVR at the television,
so the farthest camera from here would be about 30 to 50
feet. Currently I have a wirless dsl router at the tv
that I use for the internet connection and to download
movies from Direct TV.

Wireless can be costly if you want a good signal but 50 ft is not that far.
The picture quality can be an issue with cheap wireless systems. Zoom is a
good feature for getting in close enough to ID a person. Wide angle viewing
mostly will not give you a good image of a face. As I mentioned a very cheap
way to go can be adding an old used Handycam. I have several purchased for
about $50 and work very well in limited light. You would need to construct
a weather proof box which are a bit larger than some on the smaller cameras
made for survailence. I have some that are mounted inside a bedroom window
that work well. There are cheap Rotating Camera Platforms like
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...OTC-GOOGLEBASE

Do you want tilt,pan and zoom? There are so
many options.

Don't really care about tilt, pan or zoom. The most
important thing for me is; can I see the hoodlums face or
vehicle in the dark at 30 feet well enough to ID them.

You have to seach for wireless security systems:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ of which there are many. I installed a
DVR card http://netpromax.net/ for a bit about $160.00 which has 4 video
inputs but you can get them with many more or you can get DVR box that needs
no computer. I can output signal to TV or monitor switchable. When someone
rings the doorbell I can change the channel and see who is at the door.

Radio Shack and other stores have cheap 2.4 Gig wireless systems that can
output to TV or you can spend much more. I have combined many systems cheap
and expensive and can supply you with many more references if you need any
more personal information on what might meet your needs.

[email protected] March 28th 08 05:25 PM

Security System

heard about a fellow who used motion sensor lights, not only did
motion trip on lights but recorded too.

excellent PQ he sed very brite lights.

what you want to do is make your home or whatever more trouble than
its worth.

a nice yappy dog, with motion lights should do this.

dogs detect motion noise etc etc before anyone else

Jones March 28th 08 05:42 PM

Security System

wrote in message

heard about a fellow who used motion sensor lights, not
only did motion trip on lights but recorded too.

excellent PQ he sed very brite lights.

what you want to do is make your home or whatever more
trouble than its worth.

a nice yappy dog, with motion lights should do this.

dogs detect motion noise etc etc before anyone else

You are so very right. You can however set your area of detection to be
higher than the level of a dog or small animal if you like. It all depends
on how far you want to go. When I am in my computer room on the third floor
I can't even hear the door bell. With a monitor I know I don't have to get
up to speak with the bible thumpers but want to get there for the UPS guy.
Nothing records when the ball goes over my lawn but it does when the kid
goes to retrieve it and stops to pick an apple from my tree.

The Midnight Gardener March 28th 08 07:28 PM

Security System

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:25:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

heard about a fellow who used motion sensor lights, not only did
motion trip on lights but recorded too.

excellent PQ he sed very brite lights.

what you want to do is make your home or whatever more trouble than
its worth.

a nice yappy dog, with motion lights should do this.

dogs detect motion noise etc etc before anyone else

I installed a motion sensor light about a month ago. It worked for
about a week. Now all it does is flash on and off every few seconds
whether it is getting activated or not. I have two yappy dogs, the
last time they barked at night the hoodlums were gone before I got
outside.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

The Midnight Gardener March 28th 08 07:31 PM

Security System

wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good video security system? I need one that can
see at night,must be outdoor compatible, *uses motion sensing and can
record to a DVR. The most important thing for me is image quality, it
must be very good. I always see those grainy crime videos on tv and
wonder why someone even bothered paying money for the system.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

www.supercircuits.com have everything

Having everything is nice. What I really need to know are the
technical specs to look for that insures I have a good outdoor camera
that will work off of motion at night. I can look at cameras all day
but it does me no good if I don't know how well they will work and the
quality of the image.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

Jones March 28th 08 08:12 PM

Security System

Gardener wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good video security system? I
need one that can see at night,must be outdoor
compatible, uses motion sensing and can record to a
DVR. The most important thing for me is image quality,
it must be very good. I always see those grainy crime
videos on tv and wonder why someone even bothered
paying money for the system.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

www.supercircuits.com have everything

Having everything is nice. What I really need to know are
the technical specs to look for that insures I have a
good outdoor camera that will work off of motion at
night. I can look at cameras all day but it does me no
good if I don't know how well they will work and the
quality of the image.

Here is where you need personal opinions and examples of images. There are
many on select forums like the one I provided. I can show you some of my own
if you are interested. I have good ones and not so good ones and can provide
you with both for a comparison. I enjoy remote cameras that I use to shoot
birds at the feeder so I can show you image quality that would surpass your
needs. If all you want is to view one area it is simpler than what I do
which is to monitor 360 degrees around my home with remote zoom, tilt and
pan. I have wireless microphones that can listen to sounds that you can't
hear otherwise. I have everything including the ability to view images over
the internet and SW will email me photos when something activates the motion
recording which can be done with sound as well. I don't even have a need as
I live in a safe area with no crime that would even concern me. I just do it
because I can.

ransley March 28th 08 08:13 PM

Security System

wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good video security system? I need one that can
see at night,must be outdoor compatible, *uses motion sensing and can
record to a DVR. The most important thing for me is image quality, it
must be very good. I always see those grainy crime videos on tv and
wonder why someone even bothered paying money for the system.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

www.supercircuits.com* have everything

Having everything is nice. What I really need to know are the
technical specs to look for that insures I have a good outdoor camera
that will work off of motion at night. I can look at cameras all day
but it does me no good if I don't know how well they will work and the
quality of the image.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

I have a cheap 100$ camera- motion sensor, mounted above a motion
light, it works fine at 30ft but if you want to see hundreds of feet
you need something special, call supercircuts and tell them what you
need. I think their return policy is 30 days. Most anything sold now
is not junk since sensors are cheap. A cassette is only 330 lines of
resolution or about, dvds are 500lines and cameras are avalaible that
do 600 and are cheap. recording to vcr is a pain in the ass to review
tape, a digital recorder is much better for quick scanning.

Mark Lloyd March 28th 08 10:38 PM

Security System

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:42:16 -0400, "Jones" wrote:

wrote in message

heard about a fellow who used motion sensor lights, not
only did motion trip on lights but recorded too.

excellent PQ he sed very brite lights.

what you want to do is make your home or whatever more
trouble than its worth.

a nice yappy dog, with motion lights should do this.

dogs detect motion noise etc etc before anyone else

You are so very right. You can however set your area of detection to be
higher than the level of a dog or small animal if you like. It all depends
on how far you want to go. When I am in my computer room on the third floor
I can't even hear the door bell. With a monitor I know I don't have to get
up to speak with the bible thumpers but want to get there for the UPS guy.
Nothing records when the ball goes over my lawn but it does when the kid
goes to retrieve it and stops to pick an apple from my tree.

My video setup has everything (TV, DVD, etc...) coming from a central
point and distributed to every TV in the house. Then, I put a camera
at the front door and have the doorbell switch the video. That way, I
will be aware of the doorbell anywhere inside and can see who's there.

One of those TVs is in the bathroom, so I may see strangers with
Bibles, and continue taking a ****.

One more thing, that video has caller ID on it too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."

Smitty Two March 29th 08 05:55 AM

Security System

In article ,

wrote:

heard about a fellow who used motion sensor lights, not only did
motion trip on lights but recorded too.

excellent PQ he sed very brite lights.

what you want to do is make your home or whatever more trouble than
its worth.

a nice yappy dog, with motion lights should do this.

dogs detect motion noise etc etc before anyone else

I installed a motion sensor light about a month ago. It worked for
about a week. Now all it does is flash on and off every few seconds
whether it is getting activated or not. I have two yappy dogs, the
last time they barked at night the hoodlums were gone before I got
outside.

If they were gone before you got outside, how do you know they were
hoodlums?

ransley March 29th 08 12:03 PM

Security System

wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good video security system? I need one that can
see at night,must be outdoor compatible, uses motion sensing and can
record to a DVR. The most important thing for me is image quality, it
must be very good. I always see those grainy crime videos on tv and
wonder why someone even bothered paying money for the system.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

www.supercircuits.com* have everything

Having everything is nice. What I really need to know are the
technical specs to look for that insures I have a good outdoor camera
that will work off of motion at night. I can look at cameras all day
but it does me no good if I don't know how well they will work and the
quality of the image.

The cameras are on all the time. The motion sensing is done in the DVR.
$500-1000 won't buy much if you want great picture quality as you say. *One
dome camera will run at least $300.- Hide quoted text -

Having cameras on all the time is a waste, a waste ro review the video
and a waste of recording media. you dont want to spend hours reviewing
video. You get a set up with motion sensors triggering the camera, I
have one and a camera for 100$ and the quality is fine. 300$ gets you
quite a bit these days, as I said I have a camera with built in IR
Leds and motion sensor that cost 4 years ago about 100$. There is no
reason to have the dvr sense motion, the camera should do it.

Duff[_2_] March 29th 08 03:06 PM

Security System

Walmart has a nice selection of security cameras and usually has a
display showing the system in action.

Fry's Electronics sells over the internet and has many more brands.

Mark Lloyd March 29th 08 04:11 PM

Security System

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:06:12 -0500, Duff wrote:

Walmart has a nice selection of security cameras and usually has a
display showing the system in action.

The ones I've tried had poor video quality, even during the day.

The Midnight Gardener March 29th 08 06:14 PM

Security System

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:55:05 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

If they were gone before you got outside, how do you know they were
hoodlums?

Because they popped my door and several of the neighbors doors with a
pellet gun.

http://midnightgardener.blogspot.com

[email protected] April 1st 08 09:45 AM

Security System

On Mar 28, 4:33 pm, "Jones" wrote:
[...]

4CH DVR Only need USD:99.00

4CH DVR CARD USD:9.00

Waterproof Camera with 30m IR USD:35.00

Waterproof Camera with 30m IR USD:50.00

COLOR DOME CAMERA USD:18.50

www.tokia.com.cn
Shenzhen Tokia Technology Co,.Ltd. is the biggest manufacturer of cctv
security system products. We are specializing in the
manufacture of cctv cameras,color ccd cameras,B/W ccd
cameras,color Dome cameras,B/W Dome cameras,Mini ccd cameras,Day/night
ccd cameras,high speed cameras, Flying Sauce
Cameras,wireless CMOS cameras,DVR ,DVR Board ,all-in
-one camera,Network IP camera ,Video Server and lens and other safety
protection video products, which are widely used in banks,
electric power, transportation, public security, shopping
mall, residence area and the like.
If you any further enquires,don't hesitate to connect us by email!