Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Code violations, including storage of gasoline outside?

mm wrote:
Is there a problem storing gasoline outside 6 feet from the house in a
standard plastic gasoline container, with a pressure vent?

1) Some obnoxious neighbor must have ratted on me to the code
enforcement, and he seems to be complaining about this. I havent'
reached him by phone to learn details, but I thought it was ok. I'm
certainly not supposed to put the gasoline in my house, right?

2) He also complained about wood lying on the ground. I think he is
referring to either a) a piece of t-111 lying under my deck, which I
have ther so that I don't have to lie in the dirt, sometimes muddy,
when I crawl under the deck to get my spare key, which is buried
there.

Or b) the peices of t-111, totalling about 4x8 feet, that are on the
front patio (which is surrounded by a "privacy fence") that I put
there so that I could rebuild the motorcycle without oil on the cement
and without scratching the cement with the kickstand.

I've neve seen termite damage to t-111, evne though I do have termite
damage to my untreated fence pickets 15 feet away. Is t-111 (or even
plywood. Maybe he thought it was plywood) on the ground or the cement
some sort of violation in some places?

3) He complained about tarps, saying rats would hide under them. I
have three, all of them the cheap blue woven tarps. ONE covers the
motorcycle but doesn't reach to the ground.
Tarp TWO covers the second level of a stack of lawnmowers, to
protect them from the rain. The tarp is tucked in and only covers the
second layer. Two lawnmowers on each level, with a piece of t-111 in
between to stabilize the second.
Tarp THREE covers my first lawn mower that I would like to fix some
day. It's smaller and gets into small places, and is built as a
mulching mower, and the tarp there goes all the way to the cement.

I can't reach him on the phone so far. What is he likely complaining
about and how can I cover these things or protect the cement and still
make him happy?

Thanks

You sound like an absolute pig. It's pretty sad to blame your troubles
on an obnoxious neighbor.

Do your neighborhood justice, by taking that gasoline, pouring it on
your pig pen, and tossing a match.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:49:44 -0400, Skip Trace wrote:

mm wrote:
Is there a problem storing gasoline outside 6 feet from the house in a
standard plastic gasoline container, with a pressure vent?

1) Some obnoxious neighbor must have ratted on me to the code
enforcement, and he seems to be complaining about this. I havent'
reached him by phone to learn details, but I thought it was ok. I'm
certainly not supposed to put the gasoline in my house, right?

Thanks

You sound like an absolute pig. It's pretty sad to blame your troubles
on an obnoxious neighbor.

I know more about my n'bors than you do. And I know the one who left
an AC compressor (the whole box) in the middle of her back yard for 6
months, though I never even considered complaining, and never puts a
leash on her dog when she walks him (a pit bull), which the HOA has
complained about a lot of times, and who screamed like a banshee about
my yard when I talked to her nephew about the dog.

When you grow up, you may learn not to jump to conclusions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
on an obnoxious neighbor.

I know more about my n'bors than you do. And I know the one who left
an AC compressor (the whole box) in the middle of her back yard for 6
months, though I never even considered complaining, and never puts a
leash on her dog when she walks him (a pit bull), which the HOA has
complained about a lot of times, and who screamed like a banshee about
my yard when I talked to her nephew about the dog.

When you grow up, you may learn not to jump to conclusions.

Oink, oink, little piggy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm says...

mm wrote:
[...]

So, this comes down to, what.... two wrongs make a right? Or izzit "looky
they're even worser than I am"? You want someone here to say "there there your
place isn't so bad ain't it awful someone complained", don't you.

Just read the code, bring your place up to code, then you don't have to worry
about who is saying what. It's pretty simple really.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Mar 2008 19:29:08 -0700, Banty wrote:

I know more about my n'bors than you do. And I know the one who left
an AC compressor (the whole box) in the middle of her back yard for 6
months, though I never even considered complaining, and never puts a
leash on her dog when she walks him (a pit bull), which the HOA has
complained about a lot of times, and who screamed like a banshee about
my yard when I talked to her nephew about the dog.

When you grow up, you may learn not to jump to conclusions.

So, this comes down to, what.... two wrongs make a right?

No, I didn't say anything like that. Since I can't reach the
inspector so far, I'm trying another method to find out what exactly
he was complaining about.

There are three tarps and I don't know which or how many he is
complaining about. There are two pieces of wood. Same question.

It's foolish to assume it is all of them, because in situations like
this it rarely is.

Or izzit "looky
they're even worser than I am"?

No, I didn't say that either. My point is that she's a nasty person
who would have complained no matter even when the things weren't so
bad.

You want someone here to say "there there your
place isn't so bad ain't it awful someone complained", don't you.

Just read the code,

I would to be able to read the code. Do you have a copy?

bring your place up to code, then you don't have to worry
about who is saying what. It's pretty simple really.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

[...]

In my city, disabled vehicles are a code violation. "Outside storage"
is also a code violation,
unless it is something intended to BE outdoors, like grill and lawn
furniture.

Or izzit "looky
they're even worser than I am"?

No, I didn't say that either. My point is that she's a nasty person
who would have complained no matter even when the things weren't so
bad.

The first time I complained about code violation in our condo was about
my hubby's junk
that was stored outside. He moved from a place with a lot of storage to
a condo with no
garage. Just had an emotional attachment to all his crap that was
relatively useless. I
thought the complaint was anonymous, but the enforcement officer showed
hubby my
email. That was the first time he considered divorcing me. I have
found that for the
number of people willing to act on code violations, there are probably
ten more who
are really bothered but do nothing.

Your place sounds like kind of an eyesore - you cover your patio to keep
from getting
oil on it, but it is piled with "stuff" that looks unsightly.

You want someone here to say "there there your
place isn't so bad ain't it awful someone complained", don't you.

Just read the code,

I would to be able to read the code. Do you have a copy?

My city has all of their building codes online.

bring your place up to code, then you don't have to worry
about who is saying what. It's pretty simple really.

Banty

When folks work hard to keep their property looking nice, and spend a
fair sum of
money, they don't want to sit in the yard or look out the window and see
their
neighbor's junk. That's why there are building codes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm says...

On 27 Mar 2008 19:29:08 -0700, Banty wrote:

I know more about my n'bors than you do. And I know the one who left
an AC compressor (the whole box) in the middle of her back yard for 6
months, though I never even considered complaining, and never puts a
leash on her dog when she walks him (a pit bull), which the HOA has
complained about a lot of times, and who screamed like a banshee about
my yard when I talked to her nephew about the dog.

When you grow up, you may learn not to jump to conclusions.

So, this comes down to, what.... two wrongs make a right?

No, I didn't say anything like that. Since I can't reach the
inspector so far, I'm trying another method to find out what exactly
he was complaining about.

So, send him a letter asking for clarification.

How did you learn of the complaints? What exactly did they say? Did you
actually *get* a complaint from someone in authority, or is this gossip/hearsay?

There are three tarps and I don't know which or how many he is
complaining about. There are two pieces of wood. Same question.

It's foolish to assume it is all of them, because in situations like
this it rarely is.

Actually, it usually *is* "all of them", because the *problem* is in the general
trashiness of the property. You might address some of the specifics you list -
Norm is right that, for everyone who complains, there are like 10 more who
aren't happy with it either. Addressing some of the items you know about well
enough to tell us about it (!) may keep it down below the complaint threshold.

Or izzit "looky
they're even worser than I am"?

No, I didn't say that either. My point is that she's a nasty person
who would have complained no matter even when the things weren't so
bad.

So make it better than not "so bad". I take it you even know you're pushing the
limits of tolerance in your community.

You know, if I placed a bet that any given complaint I hear described wouldn't
be accompanied by a description of "nastiness" of said complainer, I'd more
often lose the money. It's like hearing divorced people talk about their exes.
Yes, both halves of the same couple. It's always how awful and abusive the
*other* one is.

Look - it's immaterial, irrelevant. You actally *listed* some things that you
know look bad. Just Fix Them. Better, look at the codes and covenants (if any)
of your community and Just Follow Them.

Just keep your nose clean. If there be belligerent complainers (they do exist,
but not nearly so often as some like to claim), they'll complain about someone
*else*. That would solve your issue with any of these that may exist - no?

You want someone here to say "there there your
place isn't so bad ain't it awful someone complained", don't you.

Just read the code,

I would to be able to read the code. Do you have a copy?

No silly. Go to your local governing boards, whatever they may be. Town, condo
association, whatever.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Stormin Mormon says...

I woulda considered divorce. After all, what good is a wife who doesn't
communicate directly? Gee whiz, can't you two talk to each other? What's the
sense of staying married?

How do you know she didn't?

Maybe that was the only recourse after either outright refusal or long
procrastination.

Just like with certain neighbors, people pitch a fit over having been 'turned
in', but most often the problem is in their own intransigence.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I woulda considered divorce. After all, what good is a wife who doesn't
communicate directly? Gee whiz, can't you two talk to each other? What's the
sense of staying married?

Hope he threw out your relatively useless cosmetics, hair brushes, and scrap
books.

Storm, he isn't too badly abused. I talked until I was blue in the
face. Neighbors complained to ME, so
that made it more of an issue. He is a real pack rat, not just a guy
with a lot of "stuff" )

I talked 'til I was blue in the face about his lousy diet, and he didn't
listen
to that, either, until he got his stent. Now he behaves )
Posted to alt.home.repair

I talked 'til I was blue in the face about his lousy diet, and he didn't
listen
to that, either, until he got his stent. Now he behaves )

You actually know this guy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
thought the complaint was anonymous, but the enforcement officer showed
hubby my
email. That was the first time he considered divorcing me.

You don't have a hotmail or gmail address to use? I thought everyone did,
or at least us that like to be anonymous at times.