DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/240315-re-noisy-dishwasher-manufaturer-wont-repair.html)

DGDevin March 27th 08 08:15 PM

Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Two different issues. If the warranty is over, now matter how PO'd
you are, the manufacturer has no legal obligation to fix anything. As for
cost effective, that is another issue. Most appliances are
rally cheap to buy compared to what they were years ago. That can be
both good and bad.

It's no coincidence that appliance makers now are as eager to sell you an
extended warranty as they are to sell you an appliance, and that failures
tend to happen just after even the extended warranties expire.

Bob F March 27th 08 08:28 PM

Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair

"Frank Robinette" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:15:39 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Two different issues. If the warranty is over, now matter how PO'd
you are, the manufacturer has no legal obligation to fix anything. As for
cost effective, that is another issue. Most appliances are
rally cheap to buy compared to what they were years ago. That can be
both good and bad.

It's no coincidence that appliance makers now are as eager to sell you an
extended warranty as they are to sell you an appliance, and that failures
tend to happen just after even the extended warranties expire.

I have a refrigerator made by General motors handed down from my
grandfather, that still works fine and has had only 1 freon charge
that I know he ever gave it 60 yrs old beat that :)

You should see how much less electricity a new one would use.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] March 27th 08 09:11 PM

Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair

On Thu 27 Mar 2008 02:18:35p, Frank Robinette told us...

wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Two different issues. If the warranty is over, now matter how PO'd
you are, the manufacturer has no legal obligation to fix anything. As
for cost effective, that is another issue. Most appliances are
rally cheap to buy compared to what they were years ago. That can be
both good and bad.

It's no coincidence that appliance makers now are as eager to sell you
an extended warranty as they are to sell you an appliance, and that
failures tend to happen just after even the extended warranties expire.

I have a refrigerator made by General motors handed down from my
grandfather, that still works fine and has had only 1 freon charge
that I know he ever gave it 60 yrs old beat that :)

Okay, I have a General Electric monitor top refrigerator that my
grandparents bought in 1927 which has never had even one service call and
still works as well as the day they bought it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 03(III)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)

Todd March 27th 08 09:18 PM

Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair

"Frank Robinette" wrote

I have a refrigerator made by General motors handed down from my
grandfather, that still works fine and has had only 1 freon charge
that I know he ever gave it 60 yrs old beat that :)

Can I come over, and watch your electric meter spin?

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] March 27th 08 09:24 PM

Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair

On Thu 27 Mar 2008 02:18:33p, Todd told us...

"Frank Robinette" wrote

I have a refrigerator made by General motors handed down from my
grandfather, that still works fine and has had only 1 freon charge
that I know he ever gave it 60 yrs old beat that :)

Can I come over, and watch your electric meter spin?

Contrary to what you might think, at least the GE Monitor Top uses very
little power. The cooling unit is self-contained and hermetically sealed,
sitting on top of the food storage area. The box itself is very well
insulated. There are a bare minimal number of moving parts, no fans, no
defrosters, etc.

Bob F March 27th 08 09:57 PM

Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
3.184...
On Thu 27 Mar 2008 02:18:33p, Todd told us...

"Frank Robinette" wrote

I have a refrigerator made by General motors handed down from my
grandfather, that still works fine and has had only 1 freon charge
that I know he ever gave it 60 yrs old beat that :)

Can I come over, and watch your electric meter spin?

Contrary to what you might think, at least the GE Monitor Top uses very
little power. The cooling unit is self-contained and hermetically sealed,
sitting on top of the food storage area. The box itself is very well
insulated. There are a bare minimal number of moving parts, no fans, no
defrosters, etc.

Tried checking it with a kill-a-watt usage meter?

[email protected] March 27th 08 10:30 PM

Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair

buy a new bosch dishwasher, it will be so quiet you wouldnt know when
its running:)

Sadly it will break a lot and cost a fortune to fix...........

really sad i trashed my bosch after the 3rd breakdown in 3 years

DGDevin March 27th 08 10:31 PM

Frank Robinette wrote:

I have a refrigerator made by General motors handed down from my
grandfather, that still works fine and has had only 1 freon charge
that I know he ever gave it 60 yrs old beat that :)

Yup, but that was made back when quality was something real achieved by
design and manufacture, as opposed to something the marketing department
only pretends is real. Products made to that sort of standard today are
usually luxury goods.

Howard March 28th 08 02:12 AM

On Mar 27, 6:31 pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
Frank Robinette wrote:
I have a refrigerator made by General motors handed down from my
grandfather, that still works fine and has had only 1 freon charge
that I know he ever gave it 60 yrs old beat that :)

Yup, but that was made back when quality was something real achieved by
design and manufacture, as opposed to something the marketing department
only pretends is real. Products made to that sort of standard today are
usually luxury goods.

I just walked into my kitchen to confirm that all the appliances
(refrigerator, dishwasher, electric range and microwave/vent are
Whirlpool "Gold". They are all just short of eight years old,
supplied by the builder with the new house. Total of one service call
to fix the microwave as part of a recall. Since the microwave
couldn't be used for about a month, Whirlpool offered to pay for a
tabletop microwave (up to $100 if I remember correctly). The recall
was handled very well and you got to keep the second microwave after
they fixed your unit. While there is a small premium for the "Gold"
series it isn't anywhere near the Bosch/Miele/Subzero price range. In
my case the quality isn't just marketing, its a reliable set of
appliances and great customer service.

[email protected] March 28th 08 02:22 AM

Noisy dishwasher that manufaturer won't repair

Yep and you can thank the greedy union *******s for that.

DGDevin March 28th 08 04:03 AM

wrote:

Yup, but that was made back when quality was something real achieved
by design and manufacture, as opposed to something the marketing
department only pretends is real. Products made to that sort of
standard today are usually luxury goods.

Yep and you can thank the greedy union *******s for that.

Ummm, you might want to take a look at the greedy management, the greedy
company shareholders, and the public that has voted with its dollars to buy
by price alone. I have my share of union stories, but pretending there
aren't other players in this game just as responsible is fantasy.

DGDevin March 28th 08 04:04 AM

Howard wrote:

I just walked into my kitchen to confirm that all the appliances
(refrigerator, dishwasher, electric range and microwave/vent are
Whirlpool "Gold". They are all just short of eight years old,
supplied by the builder with the new house. Total of one service call
to fix the microwave as part of a recall. Since the microwave
couldn't be used for about a month, Whirlpool offered to pay for a
tabletop microwave (up to $100 if I remember correctly). The recall
was handled very well and you got to keep the second microwave after
they fixed your unit. While there is a small premium for the "Gold"
series it isn't anywhere near the Bosch/Miele/Subzero price range. In
my case the quality isn't just marketing, its a reliable set of
appliances and great customer service.

Huh, well that's good to hear. I guess with all the junk we see these days,
especially the stuff from China, it's possible to lose sight of the fact
that not everyone does business that way, although the guy who started the
thread might disagree.

mm March 28th 08 09:19 AM

wrote:

Yup, but that was made back when quality was something real achieved by
design and manufacture, as opposed to something the marketing department
only pretends is real. Products made to that sort of standard today are
usually luxury goods.

Yep and you can thank the greedy union *******s for that.

I'm sure you work for less than you can get to do what you do.

Husky April 1st 08 04:05 AM

wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Two different issues. If the warranty is over, now matter how PO'd
you are, the manufacturer has no legal obligation to fix anything. As for
cost effective, that is another issue. Most appliances are
rally cheap to buy compared to what they were years ago. That can be
both good and bad.
It's no coincidence that appliance makers now are as eager to sell you an
extended warranty as they are to sell you an appliance, and that failures
tend to happen just after even the extended warranties expire.

I have a refrigerator made by General motors handed down from my
grandfather, that still works fine and has had only 1 freon charge
that I know he ever gave it 60 yrs old beat that :)

You should see how much less electricity a new one would use.

And how much more he'd have to pay over the years for all the new
refrigerators and all the production pollution and the freon disposal
and recycling charges that replacing it with a new one would actually cost.

Husky April 1st 08 04:11 AM

wrote:

Yup, but that was made back when quality was something real achieved by
design and manufacture, as opposed to something the marketing department
only pretends is real. Products made to that sort of standard today are
usually luxury goods.

Yep and you can thank the greedy union *******s for that.

Don't you mean the greedy management who take millions in "bonuses" for
cutting the quality, exporting the jobs, laying off the customers (oops,
"overpaid" employees), and crying foul when they're expected to pay the
lowest tax RATE of any group.