Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kilz Primer/Sealer: Water Or Oil Based To Use ?

Hello,

I have a water stain (brownish) on my bathroom ceiling.
Problem has been corrected, and I don't expect a repeat.

Would like to put Kilz Primer/Sealer over the stain.
Since I don't expect any further leakage, can I use a water based Kilz
instead of their oil based product ?

Or, would the brownish stain would eventually bleed thru any water based
Kilz, even though the stain is dry now ?

The reason I ask, is that the ceiling is presently painted with a latex
paint, and if I have to put the
Kilz over the whole ceiling to make things blend well for the future topcoat
of a regular paint, I know an oil based product
like Kilz oil would probably not go over the presently latex painted ceiling
well.

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 2:42�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

I have a water stain (brownish) on my bathroom ceiling.
Problem has been corrected, and I don't expect a repeat.

Would like to put Kilz Primer/Sealer over the stain.
Since I don't expect any further leakage, can I use a water based Kilz
instead of their oil based product ?

Or, would the brownish stain would eventually bleed thru any water
based Kilz, even though the stain is dry now ?

That's what primer does - cover stains. It is irrelevant what the base of
the primer is.

kilz oil based primer appears to work better
Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, would the brownish stain would eventually bleed thru any water
based Kilz, even though the stain is dry now ?

That's what primer does - cover stains. It is irrelevant what the base of
the primer is.

I've had nicotine bleed through several coats of the water-based Kilz,
and this was on a wall that had been cleaned pretty thoroughly with TSP.
I had high hopes for the water-based, but no luck. One coat of the
oil-based did the trick. So the type of primer most definitely makes a
difference.

That's nicotine, though. I don't know what caused your stain, but it
sounds to me like it would make sense to give the water-based a try &
see if it gets the job done. It's more expensive, though. Maybe you
could find it in quart size. (Our local Sears had gallons only, if I
recall).