Posted to alt.home.repair

Default vinyl siding around windows

We bought a house that has vinyl siding. the siding was done about
4-5 years ago (before we bought the house). Everything still looks
fine, except for the vinyl (although they feel more like aluminum)
pieces that cover the trim around the windows. Not sure if this is
what this area is called (it's essentially the frame around the
windows, where you would typically paint the trim color, not the house
color). Anyway, I've noticed some of these pieces seem to be coming
loose, not near falling off, but enough to where they look off center
and need to be snapped back into place. I don't see any evidence of
them being nailed in. What's the best way to secure these better? A
little adhesive near each corner? Caulk over the seams? Thanks!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 12:53*pm, grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
We bought a house that has vinyl siding. *the siding was done about
4-5 years ago (before we bought the house). *Everything still looks
fine, except for the vinyl (although they feel more like aluminum)
pieces that cover the trim around the windows. *Not sure if this is
what this area is called (it's essentially the frame around the
windows, where you would typically paint the trim color, not the house
color). *Anyway, I've noticed some of these pieces seem to be coming
loose, not near falling off, but enough to where they look off center
and need to be snapped back into place. *I don't see any evidence of
them being nailed in. *What's the best way to secure these better? *A
little adhesive near each corner? *Caulk over the seams? *Thanks!!

Depending on how and when the siding was done, those trim pieces could
indeed be aluminum. That's what I have on my house. Vinyl siding with
aluminum trim around the windows and doors.

The aluminum trim is held in by trim nails which are usually colored
to match the trim. The nails may be placed in such a manner as to be
inconspicuous, such as very close to the edge and then covered with
caulk.

It would be best to determine what you actually have so we can give
you the best answer.