Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making your phone ring

On Mar 26, 2:33*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:09:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Mar 26, 10:30*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That's MCI computer, but it does give the number you're using. Thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Also, does anyone know the number for finding out what the number is
of the phone one is using?

1-800-444-4444

Unless you're behind an office phone system (or whatever the technical
term for that is).

I just tried it from my office and it returned the main number for the
complex, even though you can direct dial into my phone.

I bet MCI is asking "what the hell happened". They suddeny started
getting hundreds of extra hits on this line.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe they just made a bunch of extra money by storing those hundreds
of hits and selling the numbers to a telemarketing-valid-phone-numbers
distribution firm.

In fact, I think the poster who put up the number actually owns a
telemarketing-valid-phone-numbers distribution firm and faked the MCI
message.

At this very time, our numbers are being distributed to telemarketing
firms across the globe.

Signed,
Jerry Fletcher

(Go ahead, Google that name)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, i would never ruin someone's vacation with a death in the family. I'd
just put them on ice until they got home.

wrote in message

I agree. A vacation is to get away.

BTW if someone did die and they couldn't tell you right away what
would happen? They wouldn't still be dead when you got home?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:30:17 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:23:28 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:54:54 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:34:54 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

When I'm traveling I cut myself completely off. No telephone calls. No
e-mail. The only electronics I carry is my camera.

I do leave an itinerary behind. So if something important happens, e.g. a
death in the family, I can be reached.

I agree. A vacation is to get away.

BTW if someone did die and they couldn't tell you right away what
would happen? They wouldn't still be dead when you got home?

It's strange the way people treat death as an emergency, like they're
not going to stay dead very long.

For the most part, I'd rather not have a phone with me when I'm
driving. It could still be useful in emergencies (real ones).

The only time it is important is if they were supposed to pick you up
at the airport ;-)

I am losing my bag phone next month and I bought a "geezer phone"
(jitterbug). It is $10 a month and 35 cents a minute for folks like me
that use about 5 minutes a month. No texting, no weather, no MP3s.

I would like a camera but I don't want one I need to email the
pictures to my PC from. I want one with a USB port.

And, if it's in the phone, that's another gadget you bought but don't
really own. I'd want a camera that's MINE. There are some really
small (non-phone) digital cameras around.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:25:26 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:52:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I bet MCI is asking "what the hell happened". They suddeny started
getting hundreds of extra hits on this line.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe they just made a bunch of extra money by storing those hundreds
of hits and selling the numbers to a telemarketing-valid-phone-numbers
distribution firm.

In fact, I think the poster who put up the number actually owns a
telemarketing-valid-phone-numbers distribution firm and faked the MCI
message.

At this very time, our numbers are being distributed to telemarketing
firms across the globe.

Good phone numbers are freely available without thiis. Google (among
others) will not only sell your phone number, they will give the
customer a browsing history if you have ever given your phone number
to a merchant on the web who stores cookies.

True story, my wife googled replacemnent windows and 20 minutes later
her CELL PHONE rang. It was a saleman from Sears who said "we see you
have been looking at windows" and told her about the windows she
looked at (none of them at Sears.com).
The common denominator google, the ultimate evil.

I give Google as little information as possible, and never keep
cookies for them.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 25, 11:26 pm, aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 25, 7:39 pm, Terry wrote:
I can remember when I was a kid that you could dial a 4 digit phone
number and hang up and your phone would ring.
I am having trouble with an AT&T cordless phone. My standard phone
works fine, but the cordless won't ring.
I would like to be able to make my phone ring to test it by plugging
it into another phone outlet.
My parents used to hassle me if I wanted to go out but didn't have a
good reason or destination. Sometimes I was just going to find out
where my friends were hanging out. Way before cell phones...
I used to ring my phone back, answer it, and act like I was talking to
a friend. When I hung up, I'd say something like "Going bowling with
Russ" or "Greg needs help on his car" and off I'd go...more or less
with their blessing.

Did anybody else, in the pre-ESS days, ever deliberately call a busy
number (like your own), and then have conversations with other people
doing the same thing? Back then, the busy signal for each switch came
from a common source, and you could, sort of, talk between beeps. We
called it the 'beep line', and their was much mourning when the
electronic switches made it go away. Remember, this was small town, pre
internet, pre chatline, pre-blog, pre-chatroom, pre cellphone, pre CB
radio, etc. If you couldn't drive, and it was too far to walk and too
crappy out to ride a bike, you took your social contact where you could
find it.

Yeah, we were pathetic.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

How did you arrange these "beep talk sessions"? Did people just hang
around listening to busy signals hoping someone else joined the party?

"We were pathetic" might be the understatement of the year! g

What can I say? it was a small town, with only 3-4 prefixes at the time.
Most weeknights after supper, there were people on there, as well as
late at night on non-school nights. In many ways, much like anonymous
chat sites are now- voices were pretty garbled, so lots of slamming
people and spreading rumors. I mainly lurked. I wouldn't hang on there
for hours (multiple siblings wanting to make or expecting calls would
have killed me), but phone was in the hall, so on the way back from the
can, I'd pop on there and see if there were any voices, and if the
subject matter was interesting. Kinda like nosy neigbors used to do on
party lines. One time, I was talking to a young lady that lived a ways
out of town, and I used some Bad Words, and caught an earful from her
old neighbor lady that liked to listen in.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Making your phone ring busy

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Mar 25, 7:39 pm, Terry wrote:

[...]

This worked best on old step offices (Stroger) since busy tone was
delivered to groups of 8 lines. The tone level dropped as each new
recipient was added, so it was easier to talk over it. You all called
the same busy number at the same time to end up on the same tone source.

The "feature" didn't last long in college towns. It caused all circuit
busy for all 100 numbers in that group, ie: the busy target was
555-1234, when 8 calls were setting on busy, the rest of 555-1200 to
555-1299 couldn't receive calls.

Easy fix, busy tone was raised 20db, eight pairs of resistors dropped it
back to normal. That put 40 db loss between each busy. Soldering
resistors was a welcome break from replacing relay contacts, washing the
racks and floors, for the new guy in 1968 ;-)

-- larry/dallas

Thanks for the memory jogger, there. Now that I think about it, we (the
crowd I hung out with) would all call the number for the answering
machine at the local theatre (it played a 'what is on tonight recording
for about 45 seconds), since that is a number we all knew by heart, and
was usually busy anyway.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Small town? With 3 or 4 prefixes?? That's a contradiction in terms. The
town i live in still only has one prefix. THAT's a small town. A town of
40,000 is not small.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

I hate em. 5x the cost of a landline and 1/10 the quality and
reliability.

I still have one from when I tried it in 2000. I keep it in the car
even though I have no service. It still works. I can dial 911 if
needed.- Hide quoted text -

analog service is ending, if its a old analog phone it may not work
when you need it the most

The way kids always get a new one every time a new feature comes out, I
should be able to pick up a dozen at the dump on Saturday.

I saw a girl in McD's today, couldn't have been over 16, with what appeared
to be a Blackberry. Those aren't cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

You can find out what the number is of the phone you're using by
calling 1-800-444-4444 .

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:52:57 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

At this very time, our numbers are being distributed to telemarketing
firms across the globe.

Good phone numbers are freely available without thiis. Google (among
others) will not only sell your phone number, they will give the
customer a browsing history if you have ever given your phone number
to a merchant on the web who stores cookies.

I'm not convinced but this is from a regular poster who is not an
idiot.

True story, my wife googled replacemnent windows and 20 minutes later
her CELL PHONE rang. It was a saleman from Sears who said "we see you
have been looking at windows" and told her about the windows she
looked at (none of them at Sears.com).
The common denominator google, the ultimate evil.

I give Google as little information as possible, and never keep
cookies for them.

I do allow cookies in almost all cases.

I went to buy something from Amazon and when I went to check out,
there were two things there from months ago, when I was just pricing
things or trying to find out how much shipping costs.

it's a good think I looked at the screen and didn't just pay for
everything. I had 3 or one thing I could at most use one of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:56:28 -0400, mm
wrote:

[snip]

I give Google as little information as possible, and never keep
cookies for them.

I do allow cookies in almost all cases.

I allow them too, after finding out how little works if you block
cookies. I just have the browser delete them all on exit.

I went to buy something from Amazon and when I went to check out,
there were two things there from months ago, when I was just pricing
things or trying to find out how much shipping costs.

it's a good think I looked at the screen and didn't just pay for
everything. I had 3 or one thing I could at most use one of.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:08:47 -0500, "S. Barker"
wrote:

Small town? With 3 or 4 prefixes?? That's a contradiction in terms. The
town i live in still only has one prefix. THAT's a small town. A town of
40,000 is not small.

The town I live in used to have just one prefix. That was before fax,
internet, and cellular phones. You used to be able to make a local
call by dialing only 5 digits. That's another thing that went away
with ESS.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 26, 4:50*am, KLS wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:03:58 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 02:23:50 -0000, Red Green wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote in

Are you the last person on earth without a cell phone you could call
your home phone from? G

I hate em. 5x the cost of a landline and 1/10 the quality and
reliability.

There are plenty of people without cell phones. They will tend to be older.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

[...]

demonstrate."- Hide quoted text -

re :You used to be able to make a local call by dialing only 5 digits

Slightly OT, but we moved our offices from downtown to the suburbs and
got new numbers because the 3 digit exchange couldn't be moved. In
fact, it's a whole new phone system, new phones, etc.

Anyway, downtown we could dial the last 4 digits to speak to a
coworker, now we have to dial all 7 digits for an internal call.

We have to dial 9 for an outside line and most ot the time I hit 9 out
of habit, thus making an outside call to talk to my assistant in the
next office!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

At this very time, our numbers are being distributed to telemarketing
firms across the globe.

Good phone numbers are freely available without thiis. Google (among
others) will not only sell your phone number, they will give the
customer a browsing history if you have ever given your phone number
to a merchant on the web who stores cookies.

I'm not convinced but this is from a regular poster who is not an
idiot.

To comment on my own post: the sentence above sounds supercilious on
reading it now, but I was also emailing the previous post to segeral
friends to tell them about the phone number etc. and felt obliged to
give context to them. I think I got mixed up and thought I was only
emailing and not posting. I didn't intend any insult, by my faint
praise, and I apologize if it sounded patronizing.

True story, my wife googled replacemnent windows and 20 minutes later
her CELL PHONE rang. It was a saleman from Sears who said "we see you
have been looking at windows" and told her about the windows she
looked at (none of them at Sears.com).
The common denominator google, the ultimate evil.

I give Google as little information as possible, and never keep
cookies for them.

I do allow cookies in almost all cases.

I went to buy something from Amazon and when I went to check out,
there were two things there from months ago, when I was just pricing
things or trying to find out how much shipping costs.

it's a good think I looked at the screen and didn't just pay for
everything. I had 3 or one thing I could at most use one of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

I am losing my bag phone next month and I bought a "geezer phone"
(jitterbug). It is $10 a month and 35 cents a minute for folks like me
that use about 5 minutes a month. No texting, no weather, no MP3s.

Please say more about this $10/mo and 35cents a minute.

Sounds interesting to me -- only very rarely would a cell-phone
be useful for me (work at home), but the usual $70/mo for something
I'd never use seems pretty insane to me.

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Do you have a link for the computer that determines your phone number? Used
to be 511 in Rochester, NY. And 993 or 998 in Wayne County (east of

I can remember when I was a kid that you could dial a 4 digit phone
number and hang up and your phone would ring.

Suddenly mine comes back to me from WAY long ago.

In San Antonio, back in the 50's, it was "1191".

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
I am losing my bag phone next month and I bought a "geezer phone"
(jitterbug). It is $10 a month and 35 cents a minute for folks like me
that use about 5 minutes a month. No texting, no weather, no MP3s.

Please say more about this $10/mo and 35cents a minute.

Sounds interesting to me -- only very rarely would a cell-phone
be useful for me (work at home), but the usual $70/mo for something
I'd never use seems pretty insane to me.

Thanks,

David

If Sprint has coverage in your area, I'd recommend a prepaid Virgin
Mobile over a Jitterbug. It works out to about 8 bucks a month for me.
You can buy cards to keep it topped up, or set it to top up from a
credit card automatically every 60 days or when it dips below 20 bucks,
whichever comes first. That was the plan 4 years ago when I signed up- I
hear they have others now, but never bothered to look into them. But
I've been happy with the service, reliability, and seldom run into dead
spots. I have heard plenty of horror stories about Jitterbug.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

aemeijers wrote in
:

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
[...]

Another option is Page Plus. They use the Verizon network. The
minimum charge is $10 every 4 months, which gives you 80 minutes.
Calls are 14 cents/min and minutes will rollover when you recharge. I
have had them for 2-3 years now and am very satisfied with them.

Dee
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:52:47 +0000, Dee wrote:

Another option is Page Plus. They use the Verizon network.

Which around here is a good thing.

The
minimum charge is $10 every 4 months, which gives you 80 minutes.
Calls are 14 cents/min and minutes will rollover when you recharge.

I see here it is down to $0.12/minute:

http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plan...rd%20Plan.aspx

Do you have to remember every 4 months to add minutes? Or can you set up
something that automatically adds $10 every 120 days?

(I see the cheapest phone to purchase is $30.)

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee is offline

Don Wiss wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:52:47 +0000, Dee wrote:

Another option is Page Plus. They use the Verizon network.

Which around here is a good thing.

The
minimum charge is $10 every 4 months, which gives you 80 minutes.
Calls are 14 cents/min and minutes will rollover when you
recharge.

I see here it is down to $0.12/minute:

http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plan...rd%20Plan.aspx

Yes. I misremembered. Can you tell I have the phone but don't use it
very much? :-)

Do you have to remember every 4 months to add minutes? Or can you
set up something that automatically adds $10 every 120 days?

Yes, you have to remember, but you can take care of it with a phone
call to them.