Posted to alt.home.repair

Default difficulty of this project?

Hello to all once again.
Still in the process of remodeling kitchen.
So far, so good. Everything I have done myself.
Now I face the dreaded "plumbing" question.
Here is the situation. And was trying to decide if this is a project
I can tackle on my own, or leaving for a pro.
We are buying our first refrigerator with an ice and water dispenser
and maker. It will be a counter depth model, if this has any meaning to the
situation.
Basically, I have a galley kitchen, with the sink being at the top
right of kitchen, and the fridge will be a the bottom left, if looking birds
eye view, of the rectangle.
My sink right now, is a standard stainless sink, with one faucet
coming out, with one handle. Its an extendable handle to 55 inches. The one
handle, controls water temp, pressure, regular or spray.
Question, I have, is how difficult and safe would it for me, to
attach the ice/water from sink to fridge.
To cross the span of the kitchen, I will need to make whole in bottom
cabinet, and run the hose underneath the (I dont know what you call it, the
metal runner that separates the kitchen tile, from the dining room
carpeting. Once it spans this, I can run it against bottom of wall without
it beeing seen?
Any comments on difficulty, for a non plumber?
Also, I assume this hose will be under constant pressure. So it it
springs a hole, it will leak out and flood?
Looking forward to any information that you can impart with me.
This is last thing, for the kitchen to be finished.
Since this was my first attempt, to do a major remodeling myself, all
I can tell you, is allow 50 percent more cash then planned, and four times
as much time. LOL
Thank goodness for retirement, as I could never have the time when I
was working.

Much regards to all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 8:22*am, "J.Lef" wrote:
[...]

The sink is not the only place to get the water for the fridge from.

You can tap into any of the cold water pipes in the basement and run
your inlet tube from there through a hole in floor right behind the
fridge. I put a 5-year filter in the line and attached it to the
joists in the basement for easy access

Yes, the tube will be under pressure, and yes, things could get messy
if it springs a leak. There are devices that will detect excessive
flow and shut the water off. Google around for something like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The sink is not the only place to get the water for the fridge from.

You can tap into any of the cold water pipes in the basement and run
your inlet tube from there through a hole in floor right behind the
fridge. I put a 5-year filter in the line and attached it to the
joists in the basement for easy access

Thanks for responding and good idea, but I dont have a
basement, and thus it needs to come from sink pipeing.

Much regards

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you go under the floor? Where is the rest of your plumbing? You
should consider 1/4" or 3/8" soft copper if you have long runs. You won't
have to worry about it.

steve

"J.Lef" wrote in message
news86Gj.1394$EJ2.1350@trndny03...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"S. Barker" wrote in message
Can you go under the floor? Where is the rest of your plumbing? You
should consider 1/4" or 3/8" soft copper if you have long runs. You won't
have to worry about it.

steve

Thanks for replying. I live in condominium apartment
in Manhattan. Thus I dont have the advantage or accessing all plumbing.
Much thanks.

Much
regards

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.Lef wrote:

[...]

Copper plumbing?

To cross the span of the kitchen, I will need to make whole in bottom
cabinet, and run the hose underneath the (I dont know what you call it, the
metal runner that separates the kitchen tile, from the dining room
carpeting. Once it spans this, I can run it against bottom of wall without
it beeing seen?

Threshold? You are planning on removing the threshold, put tubing in
place under it, and replacing?

Any comments on difficulty, for a non plumber?
Also, I assume this hose will be under constant pressure. So it it
springs a hole, it will leak out and flood?
Looking forward to any information that you can impart with me.
This is last thing, for the kitchen to be finished.
Since this was my first attempt, to do a major remodeling myself, all
I can tell you, is allow 50 percent more cash then planned, and four times
as much time. LOL
Thank goodness for retirement, as I could never have the time when I
was working.

Much regards to all.

When we bought our first fridge with icemaker, our home was on a slab
and the sink across the kitchen from the fridge.
We had to span a doorway - the rear entry to the house - and just laid
the copper tubing along the threshold. There
was nothing to hold it down, but kept a small rug by the door so the
tubing was protected. It never got stepped on.

We installed the copper tubing and saddle valve ourselves - the
maintenance guys at the factory where I worked often
did "government work" (off the record) for friends. They supplied the
saddle valve and instructions for us, gratis of
our employer ) Hubby and I installed it and, after 20 years, it was
doing just fine. It was our first plumbing project
and it was secure from the git go. I made a coil of tubing, extra
length, behind the fridge so I could pull out the fridge
for cleaning. It would probably be easier to run copper tubing through
the cabinets and just make the hole large
enough to pass the tubing along with some soft foam to keep it from
vibrating and making noise. It was a pretty
simple task. Good luck.