Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasket design

I have an aluminum plate (actually about 150 of them) that I'd like to be
able to make gaskets for, to prevent water intrusion. The plates are
approximately 3"x7" and they will be installed on a smooth surface, using
4 screws, one in each "corner". The screws are in from the corners
approximately 3/4" so the gasket will go on the "outside" of the screws.

Ideally, I'd like to cut out the gasket in one piece and it would be 1/2"
wide on all four sides. That is a rectangle with a hole in the middle, and
the size of the gasket portion is 1/2" on all sides. If I cut it out of
one piece, there will be a lot of waste of material. This isn't important
if the material is inexpensive, more of a problem if it's expensive. Um,
say $0.25 to $0.50 per gasket would be acceptable, but possibly more if
necessary.

Oh, thickness is probably 1/8" and the material should be flexible. It's
to seal out rain, often wind driven.

Any suggestions?

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

Run a 1/4" bead of silicone around the plate and then set it on 4 stacks of
2 nickels set on a sheet of wax paper on a table. If your table will hold
17 of these plates, lay a layer of wax paper over them and repeat until you
have each stack 10 plates high.

A tube or two of silicone, a roll of wax paper, and 17 rolls of nickels.
Sounds to me like this will fit your budget. Especially as you can return
the nickels to the bank when you are done.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Charles Bishop wrote:
Oh, thickness is probably 1/8" and the material should be flexible. It's
to seal out rain, often wind driven.

Any suggestions?

One of my favorite cheap material sources for gasket material is the old
inner tube...