DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rat, Mouse or Squirrel? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/239741-rat-mouse-squirrel.html)

frank1492 March 24th 08 07:41 PM

Rat, Mouse or Squirrel?

Something has chewed through the wooden slat at the
bottom of a window shade in my garage. I'd bet a squirrel
but I was wondering what you thought.
Then, is a Havaheart the best trap for the varmint? I
don't want poison or anything that mangles or maims.
Help much appreciated!
Frank

Frank March 24th 08 07:51 PM

Rat, Mouse or Squirrel?

frank1492 wrote:
Something has chewed through the wooden slat at the
bottom of a window shade in my garage. I'd bet a squirrel
but I was wondering what you thought.
Then, is a Havaheart the best trap for the varmint? I
don't want poison or anything that mangles or maims.
Help much appreciated!
Frank

Hav-a-hart works well. I've trapped squirrels, groundhogs, possum,
raccoon and skunks in mine. I bought the groundhog size trap but wish I
had bought the biggest one for the larger raccoon pests. Peanut butter
is a universal critter bait.

gpsman March 24th 08 09:16 PM

Rat, Mouse or Squirrel?

On Mar 24, 3:41 pm, frank1492 wrote:

Then, is a Havaheart the best trap for the varmint? I
don't want poison or anything that mangles or maims.

In that case I don't think you have any choice other than a Havahart.

Peeny butter's great, but I always liked to use pistachios... because
I like pistachios.
-----

- gpsman

Jerry March 24th 08 09:45 PM

Rat, Mouse or Squirrel?

On Mar 24, 1:16*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Mar 24, 3:41 pm, frank1492 wrote:

* * *Then, is a Havaheart the best trap for the varmint? I
don't want poison or anything that mangles or maims.

In that case I don't think you have any choice other than a Havahart.

Peeny butter's great, but I always liked to use pistachios... because
I like pistachios.
*-----

- gpsman

We use haveagun, it works really well. Doesn't mangle or hurt, but
blows their ****ing heads off.

Phisherman March 24th 08 11:26 PM

Rat, Mouse or Squirrel?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:41:41 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

Something has chewed through the wooden slat at the
bottom of a window shade in my garage. I'd bet a squirrel
but I was wondering what you thought.
Then, is a Havaheart the best trap for the varmint? I
don't want poison or anything that mangles or maims.
Help much appreciated!
Frank

I have caught numerous squirrels with Hav-A-Hart. Sometimes I catch
one an hour after setting the trap. Cookie, peanut, graham cracker
all work fine. I once caught a square-shaped possum in the trap--the
possum was larger than the trap! There's a squirrel soup recipe ("The
White House Cookbook") if you want it.

frank1492 March 24th 08 11:41 PM

Rat, Mouse or Squirrel?

Thanks all for the yuks and advice. Hav-a-hart it is!

HeyBub[_2_] March 25th 08 01:29 AM

Rat, Mouse or Squirrel?

frank1492 wrote:
Thanks all for the yuks and advice. Hav-a-hart it is!

Harbor Freight has a similar trap at about half the cost.

George March 27th 08 02:30 AM

Rat, Mouse or Squirrel?

wrote:

Something has chewed through the wooden slat at the
bottom of a window shade in my garage. I'd bet a squirrel
but I was wondering what you thought.
Then, is a Havaheart the best trap for the varmint? I

One thing with live trapping is, what do you do then? In a lot of
places, it's illegal to transport critters w/o a license. [skip long
story about releasing a skunk, and having to convince some guy with a
cell phone not to call the cops.] I just drown them now, but that's
kind of a lot of work, and you might want to think about how big a
drowning pool you have before you buy the trap.