Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding Frosting To Replacement Windows

What are my options for obscuring the view through a VRW while still
allowing light and not voiding any warranties?

East facing window that gets some morning sun at an angle but no
direct sunlight for hours at a time.

I've seen the stick on film at the home centers and even considered
some frosted plexiglass.

Any thoughts?

OK, I'll save you all the trouble and say it first: Curtains. g

Anything else?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
What are my options for obscuring the view through a VRW while still
allowing light and not voiding any warranties?

East facing window that gets some morning sun at an angle but no
direct sunlight for hours at a time.

I've seen the stick on film at the home centers and even considered
some frosted plexiglass.

Any thoughts?

OK, I'll save you all the trouble and say it first: Curtains. g

Anything else?

Restaurants and other businesses sometimes have designs "frosted" on their
window glass. Call some commercial glass places and see what's possible. The
Corning Glass museum has a workshop where kids can create designs on
drinking glasses using a hand-held sand blasting tool. I suspect the same
process might be involved in frosting windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ==1 Adding Frosting To Replacement Windows

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:00:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

What are my options for obscuring the view through a VRW while still
allowing light and not voiding any warranties?

East facing window that gets some morning sun at an angle but no
direct sunlight for hours at a time.

I've seen the stick on film at the home centers and even considered
some frosted plexiglass.

Any thoughts?

OK, I'll save you all the trouble and say it first: Curtains. g

Anything else?

I used the stick on frosted film at Home Depot. Works fine.

-dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 12:00*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What are my options for obscuring the view through a VRW while still
allowing light and not voiding any warranties?

East facing window that gets some morning sun at an angle but no
direct sunlight for hours at a time.

I've seen the stick on film at the home centers and even considered
some frosted plexiglass.

Any thoughts?

OK, I'll save you all the trouble and say it first: Curtains. g

Anything else?

If its dual pane interior dark films can Crack the glass, and are
often stated so in the warranty as an exclusion, even single pane
glass I cracked on East exposure with black painted foamboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What are my options for obscuring the view through a VRW while still
allowing light and not voiding any warranties?

East facing window that gets some morning sun at an angle but no
direct sunlight for hours at a time.

I've seen the stick on film at the home centers and even considered
some frosted plexiglass.

Any thoughts?

OK, I'll save you all the trouble and say it first: Curtains. g

Anything else?

Search for decorative window film*( over 50 samples). Some are plain;
others, can be fancy in appearance. I live in the desert. SWMBO used
some film on one window that gets afternoon sun for long periods.

It sure helped.. no apparent damage to the window. My guess is it's
the static type.

* SOLYX ® Decorative Films come in different patterns and shades, and
are easily removed and replaced to update the appearance at a later
time. Now any flat glass surface can be turned into a work of art, be
it an office, restaurant, den, bathroom or child's room. Frosted films
diffuse light without appreciably cutting down the ambient light. As a
result, any existing window can be converted to privacy glass in a
number of attractive patterns.
http://www.decorativefilm.com/Decorative.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:02:36 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Mar 24, 12:00*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What are my options for obscuring the view through a VRW while still
allowing light and not voiding any warranties?

East facing window that gets some morning sun at an angle but no
direct sunlight for hours at a time.

I've seen the stick on film at the home centers and even considered
some frosted plexiglass.

Any thoughts?

OK, I'll save you all the trouble and say it first: Curtains. g

Anything else?

If its dual pane interior dark films can Crack the glass, and are
often stated so in the warranty as an exclusion, even single pane
glass I cracked on East exposure with black painted foamboard.

Curious myself, was this tempered glass?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 12:00 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What are my options for obscuring the view through a VRW while still
allowing light and not voiding any warranties?

East facing window that gets some morning sun at an angle but no
direct sunlight for hours at a time.

I've seen the stick on film at the home centers and even considered
some frosted plexiglass.

Any thoughts?

OK, I'll save you all the trouble and say it first: Curtains. g

Anything else?

I like the spray-on stuff, like this:

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-72139/Detail

For me, it is easier to apply than the films.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 12:31*pm, "jmagerl" wrote:
Local harware store should sell Krylon window frosting spray paint"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

What are my options for obscuring the view through a VRW while still
allowing light and not voiding any warranties?

East facing window that gets some morning sun at an angle but no
direct sunlight for hours at a time.

I've seen the stick on film at the home centers and even considered
some frosted plexiglass.

Any thoughts?

OK, I'll save you all the trouble and say it first: Curtains. g

Anything else?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I bought a can of Rust-Oleum frosting yesterday...but it's too
cold to take the window out today.