DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   best adhesives (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/239554-best-adhesives.html)

Chris Miller March 24th 08 12:17 AM

best adhesives

anybody have favorite adhesives that they swear by? devcon epoxies and
gorilla glue are what i generally run to for bonding plastic/metal, but i
can't say that i've found anything that does an amazing job under normal
circumstances (it seems every manufacturer wants the two surfaces being
bonded to be perfectly cleaned/sanded and that's not always practical).
-c

Ed Pawlowski March 24th 08 02:16 AM

best adhesives

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:17:08 -0700, "Chris Miller"
wrote:

anybody have favorite adhesives that they swear by? devcon epoxies and
gorilla glue are what i generally run to for bonding plastic/metal, but i
can't say that i've found anything that does an amazing job under normal
circumstances (it seems every manufacturer wants the two surfaces being
bonded to be perfectly cleaned/sanded and that's not always practical).
-c

"Best" is a function of material to be glued. I use a few different
ones, but epoxy is one of the strongest for multipurpose use.

Cleaning the surface is a normal procedure. If you have a heaving
coating of dust or grease, the adhesive is going to stick to that, not
the surface. Simple physics. Makes for bad joints.

Pat March 24th 08 04:11 AM

best adhesives

On Mar 23, 8:17 pm, "Chris Miller" wrote:
anybody have favorite adhesives that they swear by? devcon epoxies and
gorilla glue are what i generally run to for bonding plastic/metal, but i
can't say that i've found anything that does an amazing job under normal
circumstances (it seems every manufacturer wants the two surfaces being
bonded to be perfectly cleaned/sanded and that's not always practical).
-c

Duct tape. Elmer's Glue. Scotch tape. Post-It notes. Bondo. I
guess it's all what you're trying to do.

I has Lasiks surgery a few years ago and they glued my eyes back
together with the surface tension of a drop of water. Go figure. It
was the right thing for that particular application.

Unrevealed Source March 24th 08 11:29 AM

best adhesives

One of the best all-around adhesives is called "Amazing Goop". It used to
go by the name of "Plumber's Goop". Basically glue anything to anything.
Be warned - it's extremely permanent.

You still need to clean surfaces of oil, grease, etc.

Edwin Pawlowski March 25th 08 02:38 AM

best adhesives

"Pat" wrote in message

I has Lasiks surgery a few years ago and they glued my eyes back
together with the surface tension of a drop of water. Go figure. It
was the right thing for that particular application.

Based on your good experience, that is what I'm going to use to glue some
antique crystal decorations to a wall. Thanks for the tip.