Posted to alt.home.repair

Default possum

I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 2:31 pm, "Frank" wrote:
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?

Fruit or raw fish in a Havahart trap. Fruit stinks less.

Or call your county DoAg extension office.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
Frank

If I had that problem I'd probably try catching in my Hav-a-hart trap.
Only time I ever encountered a possum in my yard was this time of year
and he was pretty docile and I could have approached and clubbed him or
shot with my bow. He did bare his teeth when I poked at him with a rake
so be careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Use a small lunch can of tuna in the trap. Scatter some to make a trail into
trap.
Your possum's behavior is strange in that it does not leave garage at night
assuming you leave the door open. Be careful the possum may be diseased.
Rat poison pellets in the tuna might kill it eventually but that is probably
illegal.

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
Frank wrote:
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch.
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
Frank

If I had that problem I'd probably try catching in my Hav-a-hart trap.
Only time I ever encountered a possum in my yard was this time of year
and he was pretty docile and I could have approached and clubbed him or
shot with my bow. He did bare his teeth when I poked at him with a rake
so be careful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
Frank

During garden season, they go after my lettuce & cucumbers. Try those. If
that doesn't work, call animal control. May as well get something for your
tax dollars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Mar 2008 19:23:46 GMT, Bert Byfield
wrote:

I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my
free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end.
Seems he/she would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any
Ideas on how to catch or destroy this critter?
Frank

I had a pair of possums killing my chickens at night. I would find the
heads in the hen house. So I listened for a fuss in the hen house at
night, and went out with a flashlight and a .22, and shot them both
dead, red-eyes glaring and teeth a-baring. The hens appreciated it. A
neighbor said I should have eaten them, as possum makes good eats, but
I'm mostly a city boy.

You mean the hens; still with heads, appreciated it?

I'm a swamp boy and won't eat a possum )

Take two potatoes, wrap well with foil, stuff into the possum. Cover
and bake @ 350F. When done, remove potatoes and throw the possum in
the yard!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I ate groundhog once - tasted like chicken.

Also reminds me of a hunter's suggestion on what to do with snow geese
shot in the marsh - take out breasts - freeze - use for crab bait in
the spring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free
lunch. I tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no
end. Seems he/she would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any
Ideas on how to catch or destroy this critter?
Frank

We had possums in our garage years back due to an opening they found at the
back. I scattered moth balls all over inside especially in the "attic" and
they departed, there's not much that likes the smell of mothballs. Yes, I
then fixed the opening. Had another one in the back yard recently at night
and after I shot it up a few times with a little spring gun that shoots
plastic BBs it hasn't reappeared. Works well on neighborhood cats too.

BTW, some animal control departments don't handle wild animals unless they
pose a hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in message ...
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free

lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems

he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch

or
destroy this critter?
Frank

I used a cooked turkey neck in a box trap. It's not legal where I am
to relocate them, so if you're going to relocate it, I wouldn't
mention it to too many people. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Mar 23, 1:31*pm, "Frank" wrote:
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
*Frank

Reminds me of a story told on the Rick & Bubba radio show lately, when
Rick had one in his garage. They called it a giant shark-rat - the
body of a giant rat and the teeth of a shark. Really funny story!

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote in message ...

BTW, some animal control departments don't handle wild animals unless

they
pose a hazard.

Where I live, they won't relocate them, and you're not supposed to
either. I think it's more of a don't ask, don't tell thing, and we'll
turn a blind eye to it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 3/23/2008 2:31 PM Frank said the following:
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
Frank

Leave the door open a bit. If it's chewing on the garage door rubber,
it's trying to get out.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:28:08 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free
lunch. I tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no
end. Seems he/she would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any
Ideas on how to catch or destroy this critter?
Frank

Trap it, then skin it - makes great barbecuse with lots of
cornbread, watermelon, and apple blossom wine.

And just what do you know about watermelon?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Here is my possum story. I used to feed a couple of neighborhood cats that
lived outside. I bought them a nice cat house for nasty weather so they
could keep warm on my covered porch. One day it was thunderstorming and the
2 cats are keeping dry in my garage and I was thinking that the cat house
wasn't doing much good on my porch so I was going to bring it into my
garage. I go around the house in the thunderstorm and pick up the house and
it seemed a bit heavy and I look inside and there are large possum teeth
pointed at me. I put the house back down and let him go back to sleep.

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
Here is my possum story. I used to feed a couple of neighborhood cats that
lived outside. I bought them a nice cat house for nasty weather so they
could keep warm on my covered porch. One day it was thunderstorming and the
2 cats are keeping dry in my garage and I was thinking that the cat house
wasn't doing much good on my porch so I was going to bring it into my
garage. I go around the house in the thunderstorm and pick up the house and
it seemed a bit heavy and I look inside and there are large possum teeth
pointed at me. I put the house back down and let him go back to sleep.

(snip)
Chuckle. There was a similar occurrence at my sister's previous house,
where she lived with her previous husband. I was visiting there one
September, and we were having a late-season cookout on the deck. We
noticed the 2 lab dogs and the half-dozen cats were acting hinky, and
not going near their outside food bowls on the deck which sat near a
doghouse with plastic picture window, that the previous owner had left
behind. (way too small for the labs, and the cats were not interested.)
Look through the picture window with a flashlight, and a big old coon
had taken up residence there- warm, dry, and a daily food supply 3 feet
away.

They quit keeping the outside bowls full, and the coon moved on after a
couple of days....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opossum

Frank wrote:
I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free
lunch. I tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no
end. Seems he/she would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any
Ideas on how to catch or destroy this critter?
Frank

Opossums are the gypsies of the animal world. They hang around for a few
days - maybe a week - then move on.

I'm on one opossum's circuit; he shows up about every six months. Spends a
week gorging himself on the outside cat's food then he's gone.

I don't begrudge him too much - he's just trying to make a living. I'm out,
oh, maybe three bucks in cat food twice a year. For me, it's a small price
to pay for the novelty of seeing him munching away, almost oblivious to the
world around him, while the cats wait patiently for their turn at the chow.

'Course he hasn't done any damage or attacked anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

According to what I've read, possoms do not carry rabies or distemper and
their favorite food is slugs. You might want to pick on someone you own
size next time.

We had one that took up residence in our garage under a staircase. At
certain points it stunk in the house from the possom. I checked it out
under the staircase and the female was carrying a load of babies on its
back. I screamed at it for a few minutes. It moved to quieter housing
later that night. A few months later I pulled out all of the insulation to
check for stains on the wood that I planned to treat with bleach. No signs
of any stains what so ever. It certainly smelled but I have no idea what
from. It apparently cleaned up after itself and babies.

wrote:

I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch.
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
Frank

Any 22 caliber rifle or handgun will get rid of them quickly. I live
in the country and shoot them all the time. They are slow and easy to
shoot. I need to warn you though. Do not just shoot them once.
Those things are very hardy. I've shot them right in the head and
found them still moving an hour later. Even though they are
disgusting worthless rodents that likely carry disease, I still dont
like to see any critter suffer. So, blast about 5 shells into them
and be sure they're dead. Once they've been shot, it's best to put a
gew more shells right between their eyes. I'm not joking about being
hardy. I once shot one in the side, it fell over and kept moving. I
did not have any more 22 shells handy so stabbed a manure fork thru
it. It still did not die, so I drove over it with my truck four
times. I could not believe that it still walked away and crawled
under a firewood pile, which I found from the trail of blood. That's
when I went over to my neighbor and got some more 22 shells. I
emptied 6 rounds in it before it was dead.

They are some of the most disgusting animals around. Basically giant
rats. I tolerate the coons and even the shunks around here, but
possums die as fast as I can blast them. For some reason they like to
hang out right by my front door too, so I always keep my rifle by that
door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's not just the fact they are ugly and can carry diseases, they CAN
BE DEADLY FOR HORSES. Even if you don't own horses, if you live in
the country and neighbors have horses, please destroy possums. If you
must live trap them, DO NOT release them near horse farms. Better
yet, relase them in the city, such as in the center grassy divider
between the two directions of traffic on a high speed interstate
highway. That way they'll either get killed by the northbound, or the
southbound traffic, and you can place bets to determine which lane
will get them.

Sorry, I love most animals, and I try my best to be compassionate and
humane, but I love our horses much more than some ugly possum carrying
diseases, that dont need to be hanging around my front door. I've
shot a couple coons that got inside my barn and snarled at me. I felt
bad about it. I shot a skunk that sprayed one of my barn cats, and I
felt bad about it. I NEVER feel bad when I kill possums, rats, or
mice. All of them are filthy disease carriers, and damage property.

If you want to learn more about this EPM that can kill a horse, and is
spread by possums, go he
http://www.equine-research-inc.com/x-lame2.htm

Or, alternatively:

"Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM) is a neurological disorder caused
by a parasite. The opossum and a parasite called Sarcocystis neurona have
been implicated although current research suggests other hosts and other
parasites may be involved in disease transmission. The infective form of the
parasite is passed in the feces. If a horse eats contaminated feces then it
could develop neurological signs. It should be noted that the majority of
opossums are probably not shedding the infective parasite and that of the
horses exposed to the parasite, very few will develop EPM. "

http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/freq..._questions.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lisa BB. wrote in message

Once caught, we line the trunk of the car with newspapers. Put on

thick
leather gloves so not to touch anything. The ground hogs usually

growl and
hiss. The possums usually sleep. LOL. The park is only a couple of

miles
away and we let the animals out and they make a new home.

I was told that they have to be taken several miles away or they will
find their way back, dunno if that's true, but AC won't do it here,
and we aren't supposed to, but 25 miles to the Delta works around
here. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote in message ...
According to what I've read, possoms do not carry rabies or distemper

and
their favorite food is slugs. You might want to pick on someone you

own
size next time.

They can do a fair amount of damage though, especially if they end up
in an attic.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

I have a possum in my garage that apparently does not like my free lunch. I
tried peanuts, peanut butter tomatoes Kitty treats to no end. Seems he/she
would rather chew on my garage door bottom. Any Ideas on how to catch or
destroy this critter?
Frank

2 weeks ago I had a possum in my garage. I put on my welding gloves and
cornered the little critter.
I was hoping it would faint, as they sometimes do (play possum), but this
one didn't so I grabbed it by it's tail (they're quite slow) and dropped it
in a cardboard box and xported it several miles to a rural location near a
small stream and unloaded it into the ditch.
No need to kill it, and I wouldn't shoot it in the garage anyway.
No worries about neighbors as it is a rural area.

YMMV.

Steve
southiowa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 12:17*pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Lisa BB. wrote:
wrote in
:

We have plenty of wild critters around the neighborhood. *We bought a trap
and caught groundhogs,rabbits,possums. *The rabbits we let them go because
they don't do any harm around our yard. *The others we take them to the
huge park nearby and release them. *

I'm not sure if we're supposed to be doing this. *We just make sure no park
employees or some goodie goodie is nearby. *The park is a wild habitat and
not your run of the mill city park. *There are large ravines and places
where people won't be hiking.

Once caught, we line the trunk of the car with newspapers. *Put on thick
leather gloves so not to touch anything. *The ground hogs usually growl and
hiss. *The possums usually sleep. LOL. *The park is only a couple of miles
away and we let the animals out and they make a new home.

My last experience with my Hava-a-hart was to catch a momma skunk. *She
was in the trap and her 4 kids were outside it and would not leave and
were jumping all over the trap. *In spite of this I managed to get it
open and release her and never got sprayed. *They say you can cover them
up and transport them but there is no way a skunk is getting in my SUV.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I've never understood folks who want to relocate the pests they
catch. If they don't want them, what makes them think that ALL the
folks and native animals in another area are going to want them.
They're just too lazy to end the cycle of pestilence themselves.

The only place pests should be relocated is undewater for a few
minutes, and then into the earth, a garbage can, or in your pan if
it's really good eatin'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Frank wrote:

snip

My last experience with my Hava-a-hart was to catch a momma skunk. *She
was in the trap and her 4 kids were outside it and would not leave and
were jumping all over the trap. *In spite of this I managed to get it
open and release her and never got sprayed. *They say you can cover them
up and transport them but there is no way a skunk is getting in my SUV.

Yeah, I've never understood folks who want to relocate the pests they
catch. If they don't want them, what makes them think that ALL the
folks and native animals in another area are going to want them.
They're just too lazy to end the cycle of pestilence themselves.

The only place pests should be relocated is undewater for a few
minutes, and then into the earth, a garbage can, or in your pan if
it's really good eatin'.

I agree with your policy about pest relocation, but in a case like
Frank's I'd be hard pressed to put down the Mama skunk, too.

I think I have more of a soft spot for skunks than most folks,
though. As long as they're not stinking up my house, I say, "live and
let live". They seem to have a similar attitude. I might feel
differently if I kept chickens, though.

Frank - good on you for getting the trap open without getting
sprayed.

R.
Tom Q.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On Mar 24, 12:17 pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Lisa BB. wrote:
wrote in

(snip)

-

Yeah, I've never understood folks who want to relocate the pests they
catch. If they don't want them, what makes them think that ALL the
folks and native animals in another area are going to want them.
They're just too lazy to end the cycle of pestilence themselves.

The only place pests should be relocated is undewater for a few
minutes, and then into the earth, a garbage can, or in your pan if
it's really good eatin'.

What you call pestilence, most people call an ecosystem.

The only reason the native animals (which predate humans in most
locations) don't do what you propose to US, is that they don't have
thumbs or guns.

I'm not gonna kill some poor SOB of a coon or possum or whatever for
just trying to make a living, as long as they stay outside. Most of them
are even pretty amusing to watch. I spend many an hour watching the
wildlife out my window- birds, deer, rabbits, squirrels, turkey,
racoons, etc. I like them better than I like most people. I may not have
a veggie/flower garden for them to snack on, but I also don't use
chemicals on the yard, and they seem to feel safe there. A day after it
snows, my backyard looks like a grade school playground with all the
tracks leading to where the bird feeders are.

Aside from the occasional turd on the porch, or the neigbor cat trying
to use the bird feeder as a buffet (almost never successfully), no real
problems. Now if I could just get the birds to stop slamming into the
sliding doors...

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

mike wrote:

On Mar 24, 12:17 pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Lisa BB. wrote:

wrote in

(snip)

-

[...]

Why not live with the critter. He doesn't eat much. I've got moose
showing up again this year. They don't fit in my SUV and don't want to
be relocated anyhow. I've found that by selecting plant species that
they don't favor they no longer do much damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pictures off raccoon

Thread reminds me of pictures of raccoon I caught and released a while back:
http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 7:58*am, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Thread reminds me of pictures of raccoon I caught and released a while back:http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/thief.pdf

Actually, I've recently eaten raccoon, and it's very good. Better
than squirrel, by far.

Killing something for the sake of killing it, IMO, is a bad thing to
do. If it's not trying to kill you, and you're not going to eat it,
you shouldn't kill it.

That's a personal choice, though, and if you have the stomach to kill
a living creature and throw it away like trash, go for it.

I hunt (a lot), and am going to start raising chickens, and would
raise rabbits if my wife would let me, so I don't have a problem with
killing an animal for meat. My problem is killing an animal for
nothing. I have actually hesitated getting chickens because 'coons
will kill them. Having eaten 'coon now, having the chickens as "bait"
will be a benefit, IMO. I live in the city, too, but have no problem
sniping them with a pellet gun.

When I have a problem with an animal that I can't eat (like a skunk),
I'll use non-lethal, non-relocation methods to keep it from going
where I don't want it.

If it were up to me, you would have to carry a card in your wallet
when you go to the store to buy meat, that shows you've taken a tour
of a slaughterhouse and realize the impact you have when you buy
meat. Too many people are ignorant about what they eat these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
[...]

I hunt too and feel the same way. Friend of mine had a small farm and
raised a beef cow which the family named Bosco. One day we were in a
goose pit and friend offered me a roast beef sandwich which I declined.
He said Bosco would be disappointed.

I would not eat raccoon and am careful with them since rabies is endemic
here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 12:59*pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Mike wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I didn't process them, but would watch it carefully before I
shot it...

We are nice to animals as pets, we should be even nicer to the ones
we're going to eat, IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TD wrote:

wrote in :

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:38:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Burlap sack and a couple rocks? Shiver me timbers, and gone down wit de
ship, mate?

I'm sure most of the readers will say "what's a burlap sack"?

I haven't seen one in 20 years

yeah, I was trying to find some burlap for the shrubs for winter
protection.
You can't find it anymore.

You obviously don't hang out at fabric stores ) JoAnn Fabrics have
it, he
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...ource=s earch

Art/craft stores sometimes carry it - if there is a Michaels or similar
store nearby, try them. Nurseries
still ship stuff with burlap-wrapped root balls, so a nursery also might
have it.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Follow up to possum in garage.
Critter is still there.I did find out that tomatoes are his favorite food
for dinner. This guy or gal is able to get bait without tripping the
trap.Next step is to burn the garage down (not sure that would work either.
May have to call a pro.
Thanks for all your interest and suggestions.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 12:17�pm, "Frank" wrote:
Follow up to possum in garage.
� �Critter is still there.I did find out that tomatoes are his favorite food
for dinner. This guy or gal is able to get bait without tripping the
trap.Next step is to burn the garage down (not sure that would work either..
May have to call a pro.
Thanks for all your interest and suggestions.
� � � � � Frank

open garage door in early evening, that way possum is well rested and
hungry, time for nite foraging...........

get a couple boom boxes or radios make lots of noise have someone
watch door till he or she leaves. make certain its not a she with