Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Terrible TWO's

My 2 year old son was flushing the toilet over and over again until it
stopped flushing. When I push the handle to flush the water from the
tank come in but the bowl it self does not empty.... Can you please
assist with with ideas what should I replace.

Thanks
SAM
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,901
Default Terrible TWO's

wrote in message
...
My 2 year old son was flushing the toilet over and over again until it
stopped flushing. When I push the handle to flush the water from the
tank come in but the bowl it self does not empty.... Can you please
assist with with ideas what should I replace.

Thanks
SAM



I can't help with the repair, but I'll bet this is where your son got the
idea from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WofFb_eOxxA


  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 23, 1:25 pm, wrote:
My 2 year old son was flushing the toilet over and over again until it
stopped flushing. When I push the handle to flush the water from the
tank come in but the bowl it self does not empty.... Can you please
assist with with ideas what should I replace.

Thanks
SAM

A little confused with the wording above but one translation could
suggest that perhaps the flush linkage (chain or whatever) is broken.
Reach in the tank and open the valve at the bottom by hand...unless,
as other posters infer, there really is a blockage in or below the
bowl.
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 655
Default Terrible TWO's

Here we go again with the snake for 3 or 5 days. THEN he'll pull the toilet
and fix the problem.

s



"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
46.128...
My 2 year old son was flushing the toilet over and over again
until it stopped flushing. When I push the handle to flush the
water from the tank come in but the bowl it self does not
empty.... Can you please assist with with ideas what should I
replace. Thanks SAM


I would put a snake down the toilet (etc) and look for a blockage. He
might have flushed something down, slowing the water's exit.










  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 655
Default Terrible TWO's

the damn quoted message that You yourself put above your reply SAYS: When I
push the handle to flush the water from the
tank come in but the bowl it self does not empty........



did you not read it or
what?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????





s



"cavedweller" wrote in message
...
On Mar 23, 1:25 pm, wrote:
My 2 year old son was flushing the toilet over and over again until it
stopped flushing. When I push the handle to flush the water from the
tank come in but the bowl it self does not empty.... Can you please
assist with with ideas what should I replace.

Thanks
SAM

A little confused with the wording above but one translation could
suggest that perhaps the flush linkage (chain or whatever) is broken.
Reach in the tank and open the valve at the bottom by hand...unless,
as other posters infer, there really is a blockage in or below the
bowl.



  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 23, 3:19 pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
the damn quoted message that You yourself put above your reply SAYS: When I
push the handle to flush the water from the

tank come in but the bowl it self does not empty........


did you not read it or
what?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????

s

"cavedweller" wrote in message

...

On Mar 23, 1:25 pm, wrote:
My 2 year old son was flushing the toilet over and over again until it
stopped flushing. When I push the handle to flush the water from the
tank come in but the bowl it self does not empty.... Can you please
assist with with ideas what should I replace.


Thanks
SAM

A little confused with the wording above but one translation could
suggest that perhaps the flush linkage (chain or whatever) is broken.
Reach in the tank and open the valve at the bottom by hand...unless,
as other posters infer, there really is a blockage in or below the
bowl.


I read it. It said "...from the tank come in". The water FROM the
tank usually GOES INT0 the bowl. The bowl won't empty if the flapper
valve linkage is broken now will it?
I didn't read anything about the bowl having overflowed and OP did say
that the kid flushed the toilet continuously...presumably until it
stopped.

I also conceded that others had inferred another interpretation of the
problem but you felt you had to pile on..........DH

  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,375
Default Terrible TWO's

In article 28, Bert Byfield wrote:
My 2 year old son was flushing the toilet over and over again
until it stopped flushing. When I push the handle to flush the
water from the tank come in but the bowl it self does not
empty.... Can you please assist with with ideas what should I
replace. Thanks SAM


I would put a snake down the toilet (etc) and look for a blockage. He
might have flushed something down, slowing the water's exit.


Replace "might have" with "obviously has".

--
Regards,
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,300
Default Terrible TWO's

Joseph Meehan wrote:
It sounds like your son flushed something down, only it did not go
all the way down and now it is partly blocked.


And when you find out what it is and get it out, consider getting a
toilet lid lock:

http://tinyurl.com/3bpdha

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
The speed of light is 1.98*10^14 fathoms per fortnight.
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 636
Default Terrible TWO's

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
It sounds like your son flushed something down, only it did not go
all the way down and now it is partly blocked.


And when you find out what it is and get it out, consider getting a
toilet lid lock:


Even better:
http://www.prankplace.com/toiletmonster.htm




  #11   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 655
Default Terrible TWO's

God knows we wouldn't want to ACTUALLY supervise the kids... We couldn't
spend all day on the phone then.

s


"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..

And when you find out what it is and get it out, consider getting a toilet
lid lock:

http://tinyurl.com/3bpdha

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
The speed of light is 1.98*10^14 fathoms per fortnight.



  #12   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,149
Default Terrible TWO's

HeyBub wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
It sounds like your son flushed something down, only it did not go
all the way down and now it is partly blocked.

And when you find out what it is and get it out, consider getting a
toilet lid lock:


Even better:
http://www.prankplace.com/toiletmonster.htm


Uh huh. And when the kid freaks out and starts going in his pants again
to avoid the monster?

--
aem sends....
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 655
Default Terrible TWO's

No, we raised 2 boys and in their teen years we also had (not all at once) 5
of their friends. Never a toy in the toilet. We just watched them
properly.

And ummmmmm no, they were far from perfect. G


s


"Lisa BB." wrote in message
...



Apparently you've never had kids, or else they were perfect angels.



  #14   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,575
Default Terrible TWO's

S. Barker wrote:

No, we raised 2 boys and in their teen years we also had (not all at once) 5
of their friends. Never a toy in the toilet. We just watched them
properly.


Gee..........you followed two-year olds every moment of the day? You
must have had
servants to do the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc )

I can just see the little guy, all happy with being big enough to use
the toilet and then getting inspired to find out what will go
down when the water does )
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,901
Default Terrible TWO's

"Norminn" wrote in message
...
S. Barker wrote:

No, we raised 2 boys and in their teen years we also had (not all at once)
5 of their friends. Never a toy in the toilet. We just watched them
properly.

Gee..........you followed two-year olds every moment of the day? You must
have had
servants to do the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc )



Some children are not stupid. They're born smart. Isn't that easy? Just
because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't happen or exist.




  #16   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 655
Default Terrible TWO's

In a word , yes. That is what the wife did/does. No servants, no maids.
Just mom, and the boys. She involved them in the cleaning and cooking and
laundry. So they were in fact always in sight. No reason for them not to
be.

s


"Norminn" wrote in message
...


Gee..........you followed two-year olds every moment of the day? You must
have had
servants to do the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc )



  #17   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 133
Default Terrible TWO's

bob kater wrote:
you would be amazed at some of the things that get flushed down a commode


Nah. Something gets knocked in, what is the hotel guest going to do?
Fish it out? That isn't their toilet. So they try just flushing it.

Una
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Terrible TWO's


Gee..........you followed two-year olds every moment of the day? You
must have had
servants to do the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc )


No, all you need is one super housewife. For two year old active boys with
busy hands and unlimited energy, you better know where they are and what
they are doing every moment of the day and night. They will push the limit
as far as you allow them, testing you every minute of the day to see if they
could get away with something. Anything. Don't want them getting into my
shop and start up power tools, or fool around with the range, playing with
matches, getting into the medicine cabinet or the cleaning chemicals in the
kitchen, playing with the microwave or testing out the 120V electrical
outlets or get into the gun case as they have all day breaking into the
combination lock. Waite a few more years and see that seven year old driving
mom's car down the road. Kids are so resourceful and cleaver and will keep
you on your toes every conscious moment of the day. A stuck toilet is a
small price for admission.


  #19   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,595
Default Terrible TWO's

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:10:59 -0700, " Frank"
wrote:


Gee..........you followed two-year olds every moment of the day? You
must have had
servants to do the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc )


No, all you need is one super housewife.

-snip-

Well- a mediocre househusband can do it too.g

Especially if he really believes that the better we do for those first
5 yrs, the easier the next 15 will be. And it worked, too, BTW. Mine
are 21 & 20 and I'm quite proud of the way they turned out.

At two there is *no* substitute for constant supervision.

Jim
  #20   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,901
Default Terrible TWO's

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
...
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:10:59 -0700, " Frank"
wrote:


Gee..........you followed two-year olds every moment of the day? You
must have had
servants to do the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc )


No, all you need is one super housewife.

-snip-

Well- a mediocre househusband can do it too.g

Especially if he really believes that the better we do for those first
5 yrs, the easier the next 15 will be. And it worked, too, BTW. Mine
are 21 & 20 and I'm quite proud of the way they turned out.

At two there is *no* substitute for constant supervision.

Jim



A friend of mine has a 4 year old who thinks she's 30. She (mother) went to
the bathroom for two minutes, leaving the tiny adult in her bedroom. She
comes out of the bathroom two minutes later and the kid is nowhere to be
found. She rushes outside and finds the kid on the porch putting on her
winter boots. Explanation: "I was goin' for a walk, mommy. I put my shoes on
here so the noise wouldn't bother you."

WTF? Holy ****!




  #21   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 625
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 23, 2:25*pm, wrote:
My 2 year old son was flushing the toilet over and over again until it
stopped flushing. *When I push the handle to flush the water from the
tank come in but the bowl it self does not empty.... *Can you please
assist with with ideas what should I replace.


The toilet is plugged.
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 625
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 23, 4:33*pm, cavedweller wrote:
I read it. *It said "...from the tank come in". *The water FROM the
tank usually GOES INT0 the bowl. *The bowl won't empty if the flapper
valve linkage is broken now will it?


No, the water won't go from the tank into the bowl if the flapper
valve is broken.

Toilets work like this:
1. Tank fills with water.
2. Flush handle opens flapper valve.
3. Water in tank dumps into the bowl.
4. Flow of water creates flushing action.

There is no valve between the poop and the drain pipe. Otherwise you'd
have to constantly clean poopy drain valves.

The OP clearly said that the water goes from the tank into the bowl.
  #23   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 24, 11:34 am, wrote:
On Mar 23, 4:33 pm, cavedweller wrote:

I read it. It said "...from the tank come in". The water FROM the
tank usually GOES INT0 the bowl. The bowl won't empty if the flapper
valve linkage is broken now will it?


No, the water won't go from the tank into the bowl if the flapper
valve is broken.

Exactly. That's my point.
Toilets work like this:
1. Tank fills with water.
2. Flush handle opens flapper valve.
3. Water in tank dumps into the bowl.
4. Flow of water creates flushing action.

Well, duh............
There is no valve between the poop and the drain pipe. Otherwise you'd
have to constantly clean poopy drain valves.

No thit............
The OP clearly said that the water goes from the tank into the bowl.


Not true. The OPs sentence wasn't clear. Read it again.
  #24   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 24, 11:34 am, wrote:
On Mar 23, 4:33 pm, cavedweller wrote:

I read it. It said "...from the tank come in". The water FROM the
tank usually GOES INT0 the bowl. The bowl won't empty if the flapper
valve linkage is broken now will it?


No, the water won't go from the tank into the bowl if the flapper
valve is broken.

Toilets work like this:
1. Tank fills with water.
2. Flush handle opens flapper valve.
3. Water in tank dumps into the bowl.
4. Flow of water creates flushing action.

There is no valve between the poop and the drain pipe. Otherwise you'd
have to constantly clean poopy drain valves.

The OP clearly said that the water goes from the tank into the bowl.


And you obviously didn't read my first post in this thread, either.
  #25   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 655
Default Terrible TWO's

We all read it. You were just wrong.

s

"cavedweller" wrote in message
...

And you obviously didn't read my first post in this thread, either.





  #26   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 24, 2:28 pm, "S. Barker" wrote:
We all read it. You were just wrong.


"We all"? I didn't realize you were spoke for everyone in the
thread. That would explain why you jumped all over my first post
when, in fact, I wasn't really even "talking" to you.

I wasn't wrong at all. I read the OPs sentence a little differently
than you did, that's all.

This seemed appropriate in that there were either some words, or some
punctuation, missing. Given that he/she didn't mention a flood, I
wondered if he/she meant that the tank wasn't emptying when he/she
actuated the handle. To me, this didn't seem inconsistent with a rug-
rat hanging on the handle a bunch of times.

I will repeat that I conceded the other opinions that the toilet might
be blocked.

Sorry to have caused you all this exasperation. It must make things
difficult for you to have to correct all the posts that don't match
your own thinking.

Isn't it funny how one never hears back from the OP in cases like
this? I guess that's good....we can all be right until then.
  #27   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 24, 3:15 pm, cavedweller wrote:
On Mar 24, 2:28 pm, "S. Barker" wrote:

We all read it. You were just wrong.


"We all"? I didn't realize you were spoke for everyone in the
thread. That would explain why you jumped all over my first post
when, in fact, I wasn't really even "talking" to you.

I wasn't wrong at all. I read the OPs sentence a little differently
than you did, that's all.

This seemed appropriate in that there were either some words, or some
punctuation, missing. Given that he/she didn't mention a flood, I
wondered if he/she meant that the tank wasn't emptying when he/she
actuated the handle. To me, this didn't seem inconsistent with a rug-
rat hanging on the handle a bunch of times.

I will repeat that I conceded the other opinions that the toilet might
be blocked.

Sorry to have caused you all this exasperation. It must make things
difficult for you to have to correct all the posts that don't match
your own thinking.

Isn't it funny how one never hears back from the OP in cases like
this? I guess that's good....we can all be right until then.


remove "were"
  #28   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 24, 4:08 pm, cavedweller wrote:
On Mar 24, 3:15 pm, cavedweller wrote:



On Mar 24, 2:28 pm, "S. Barker" wrote:


We all read it. You were just wrong.


"We all"? I didn't realize you were spoke for everyone in the
thread. That would explain why you jumped all over my first post
when, in fact, I wasn't really even "talking" to you.


I wasn't wrong at all. I read the OPs sentence a little differently
than you did, that's all.


This seemed appropriate in that there were either some words, or some
punctuation, missing. Given that he/she didn't mention a flood, I
wondered if he/she meant that the tank wasn't emptying when he/she
actuated the handle. To me, this didn't seem inconsistent with a rug-
rat hanging on the handle a bunch of times.


I will repeat that I conceded the other opinions that the toilet might
be blocked.


Sorry to have caused you all this exasperation. It must make things
difficult for you to have to correct all the posts that don't match
your own thinking.


Isn't it funny how one never hears back from the OP in cases like
this? I guess that's good....we can all be right until then.


remove "were"


I PM'ed the OP. She confirmed that the kid had filled the bowl with
debris.
  #29   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 655
Default Terrible TWO's

surprize, surprize. We all knew that already.

s


"cavedweller" wrote in message
...

I PM'ed the OP. She confirmed that the kid had filled the bowl with
debris.



  #30   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 146
Default Terrible TWO's

On Mar 26, 10:11 am, "S. Barker" wrote:
surprize, surprize. We all knew that already.

s

"cavedweller" wrote in message

...



I PM'ed the OP. She confirmed that the kid had filled the bowl with
debris.


No, you assumed it.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terrible nightmare last night. (From sed) - Mr Natural.jpg John Fields Electronic Schematics 0 March 8th 08 11:49 PM
Terrible caulking incident [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 1st 08 11:00 PM
A Terrible Thing Happened...... [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 30th 05 08:37 PM
Terrible two table top tale. David F. Eisan Woodworking 5 August 29th 05 06:05 AM
Lowe's is terrible, I hope someone here can help [email protected] Home Repair 71 March 9th 05 01:49 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"