Posted to alt.home.repair
mjs mjs is offline

Default prehung door

I put up a prehung door and I am having one problem the door won't
stay open. It doesn't close shut, but it won't stay open it swings
away from the wall and seems to be getting worse. Any solutions.
mjs
Posted to alt.home.repair

mjs wrote:

I put up a prehung door and I am having one problem the door won't
stay open. It doesn't close shut, but it won't stay open it swings
away from the wall and seems to be getting worse. Any solutions.
mjs

Hi,
Is the frame perfectly plumb every each way? Shimming hinge plate or
bending hinge pin tiny bit will do the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 22, 7:15*pm, mjs wrote:
I put up a prehung door and I am having one problem the door won't
stay open. It doesn't close shut, but it won't stay *open it swings
away from the wall and seems to be getting worse. Any solutions.
mjs

redo the whole thing just as it specified. As it is, you are out of
plumb on the jambs, and perhaps other parameters. A prehung door jamb
assembly is not a rigid structure to shove into an opening and nail in
place. A little common sense some shims and finesse will get you the
result you want. Remember the magic trio, square, plumb and level and
do it right. God uck.

Joe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mjs wrote:
I put up a prehung door and I am having one problem the door won't
stay open. It doesn't close shut, but it won't stay open it swings
away from the wall and seems to be getting worse. Any solutions.
mjs

Does your hand fit a level?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Mar 22, 7:15 pm, mjs wrote:
I put up a prehung door and I am having one problem the door won't
stay open. It doesn't close shut, but it won't stay open it swings
away from the wall and seems to be getting worse. Any solutions.
mjs

redo the whole thing just as it specified. As it is, you are out of
plumb on the jambs, and perhaps other parameters. A prehung door jamb
assembly is not a rigid structure to shove into an opening and nail in
place.

Joe is correct in his diagnosis of your problem. Think for a moment about
the hatch on the deck of a boat. That is level or 90° out of plumb so it is
easy to understand why it would self close. On a door, they self close or
self open depending on which way they are tipped out of plumb.

When hanging a door, first you plumb the hinge side of the jam, then square
the top to the hinge side, then secure the latch side of the door. You want
the stop to evenly hit the door when closed.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.