Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinions- BJ's service, 'year round sun room'

Hi, just checking to see if any have any experience with their services.
Granted you wont be in my area (Virginia Beach) but any notes on this type
of 'year round sunroom' product?

The back room that was pretty much destroyed, is now ready for renovation.
We signed up for some free brocures and a free home estimate.

The roof is solid. The posts appear solid. 2 exterior walls will need to
be 'replaced' and the inner left side which faces the rest of a long
screened back porch 'seems ok' (4th wall is fine, used to be outside wall of
house).

I have no remote idea on costs of such. Cant hurt to get a free estimate
though g. I did not another with a thread on a leakage problem, but they
had a roof problem before it and I do not. The 'roof' of the house was
properly extended to add a huge screened back porch the entire lenght of the
house and later, this corner section was 'snicked off' to make an additional
living space. Termed 'enclosed porch' by the local area codes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
Hi, just checking to see if any have any experience with their services.
Granted you wont be in my area (Virginia Beach) but any notes on this type
of 'year round sunroom' product?

Followup, they called and we will have a free estimate tomorrow night. Are
any interested in what such runs? I'll post if so what we get for here.
Ours should be 'cheaper' as it's pretty much 2 walls (have solid roof
already). We don't know until we get some pricing, if we want to go this
route, but it seems it's a house value adder in our case.

I might add, we are close to top end price value for our neighborhood so
adding anything too expensive isnt a good financial choice. IE: we might do
it for us, but we won't get sales value back from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Opinions- BJ's service, 'year round sun room' 'Better Living'

"cshenk" wrote

Followup, Betterliving patio and sunrooms, local Hampton Roads offices.

Not bad. Due to the age of the house, they have to do footing to existing
slab. Room is 13x11, 2 walls need no rework, ceiling/roof fine. Replace
structural supports at outer corner, 4 (2 plug each) outlets plus electric
for combined AC/Heat unit. This is the 4 season stuff suitable for my area
(described as 3 season but we arent cold enough to need under 0F protection
levels).

1 additional door (glass, sliding with screen). Windows open to screens.
All double paned RV filtering energy efficient. Removal of all mold damaged
material (includes carpet). We lay down new carpet over existing floor (we
plan indoor/outdoor stuff).

12,400$ with builtin AC/Heat unit
10,600$ without AC/Heat unit

Will take about 60 days from order and 2 weeks (have to let various cements
dry etc) to put in.

Now to check accessory AC units. Theirs adds house value (built in) but if
it 'goes bad' is built into the wall so harder to replace. Heat would be
easy with an electric oil filled free heater but AC needs a vent.

This is a followup to any who have tracked the folks who moved back from
Japan after 6.5 years and renter damage. The room was kicked in basically
and was never built right in the first place. Don and my health is
degrading so we are looking for others to handle the heavy work we no longer
can. This has the advantage of codespec work, with guarentee and
inspectors. They get it wrong, they fix it. (Sorry, we are DIY folks but I
now have 3 (oh my gosh, not a typo) herniated discs and Don has increasing
arthrits. With care, I can live a normal life but I can no longer just
'assume' I can handle something and framing in new walls etc is no longer an
option).

Although technically we can not call this a '4th bedroom' in VA, lets face
it, thats what it is g. They even are putting up our exterior lights (one
of them) and for little more, will add the second if we want the side yard
better lit.

Let me look up some freestanding AC/Heat solutions but any input will be
well recieved!

Keep in mind please, we just 'cant' DIY anymore of a project of this level
and make it truely other than a hack. 10 years ago, yes. Not now.