Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TORO Wheel Horse stops pulling in 3rd.

Apologies in advance if this the wrong forum. Feel free to point me
in the right direction.

Toro WheelHorse 12-38XL. About 8-10 years old. Bought used last
season. Mower does exactly what it's supposed to do very well in all
respects EXCEPT:
When cutting on level ground in 3rd it randomly just coasts to a stop
and stops pulling...engine still running, blade still engaged. Other
gears OK. I do find that if I move it out of 3rd and then bring the
shift lever back "over" the 3rd gear notch and drop the lever in and
out of 3rd you can feel it trying to catch.

Bottom line, what am I in for here? What am I looking for/to replace?
Just haven't stuck my head up under it yet. And if it matters I do
know my way around a garage and a vehicle or two ;-) Thanks.

Kevin