DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Remove Deadbolt (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/239393-remove-deadbolt.html)

Bob Simon March 22nd 08 04:49 PM

Remove Deadbolt

I have a Merit deadbolt on my front door that I want to remove. This
lock has a bolt that rotates 90 degrees up to latch.

First I took off the cover plate then removed two big screws that hold
the latch assembly to the door. I see nothing else to unscrew and
nothing on either the inside or outside cylinder to remove.

What do I do next?

Smitty Two March 22nd 08 06:56 PM

Remove Deadbolt

In article ,
Bob Simon wrote:

I have a Merit deadbolt on my front door that I want to remove. This
lock has a bolt that rotates 90 degrees up to latch.

First I took off the cover plate then removed two big screws that hold
the latch assembly to the door. I see nothing else to unscrew and
nothing on either the inside or outside cylinder to remove.

What do I do next?

Um, pull the inside and outside pieces apart?

Bob Simon March 22nd 08 07:30 PM

Remove Deadbolt

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:49:49 -0500, Bob Simon
wrote:

I have a Merit deadbolt on my front door that I want to remove. This
lock has a bolt that rotates 90 degrees up to latch.

First I took off the cover plate then removed two big screws that hold
the latch assembly to the door. I see nothing else to unscrew and
nothing on either the inside or outside cylinder to remove.

What do I do next?

Never mind.

After doing a little reading, I learned this is a mortise lock. I
found the set screws and was able to remove a cylinder.

This lock has always been difficult to operate. I squirted some Slick
50 in the mechanism and now it works great.