Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ventimg above range Microwave. inside/outside

So I get this above range Microwave/hood. It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days worth of work. When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
et...
So I get this above range Microwave/hood. It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days worth of work. When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-

If you cook, you need to vent the smoke outside. If you boil water, it
doesn't matter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 07:04:23 GMT, "Scott Townsend"
wrote:

So I get this above range Microwave/hood. It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days worth of work. When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-

The re-circ is a joke and should not be used. Who wants smoke/odors
blown back into the room or perhaps in your face?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:

So I get this above range Microwave/hood. It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days worth of work. When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-

I had a recirc fan in one kitchen - it filters the grease out of the
air. With a little care to cover boiling pots
you really don't need a vent. In another kitchen, there was no fan or
vent at all. How did I survive?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 2:04*am, "Scott Townsend"
wrote:
So I get this above range Microwave/hood. *It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days *worth of work. *When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-

Recently went through this when remodeling the kitchen. I went for
the "Re-circ" option. Also saved a bunch of space in the cabinets
above the microwave.

The General Electric microwave has the external filter. There was no
filter internal, because I suppose the manufacturing doesn't know how
your going to install it. Searched the NET and purchased a charcoal
filter. Saved a bunch of money not purchasing the GE specific part.

When you think about it, how much does a traditional vent intake?

If I want a nice charbroiled steak I cook it outdoors on my LP gas
Ducan grill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 3:04*am, "Scott Townsend"
wrote:
So I get this above range Microwave/hood. *It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days *worth of work. *When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-

Venting outside is always better than re-circ, especially in the
summer time when you have the A/C going and you want that heat out.
But if it's impossibe to duct it to the outside, re-circ is better
than nothing.

.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Townsend" wrote:

So I get this above range Microwave/hood. It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days worth of work. When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

By code, it's always OK. When installed in in recirc mode, the hood runs the air
through a small carbon filter and back into the room. The primary purpose of the
hood is fire control, so how you vent it is immaterial.

Most people want odor control though and recirc doesn't do a whole lot for that.
Recirc installs are a bit noisier fan wise as well.

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

For a small (read: cheap) rental unit, recirc is fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
et...
So I get this above range Microwave/hood. It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days worth of work. When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-

If you cook, you need to vent the smoke outside. If you boil water, it
doesn't matter

Agreed. I seldom, if ever, cook 'open pot', so it is a non-issue for me.
But OP said this is a rental, and sadly, many or most renters treat a
rental house like a rental car. IMHO, it is worth a few extra bucks and
sweat equity up front, to make the kitchen as idiot-proof as possible.
Big exhaust fan with a well labeled switch, washable paint, liquid-proof
floor, hard finish on the cabinets, etc. Anything to reduce the odds you
will have to do a gut job on the kitchen when they move out.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dang, so it looks like we are split...

I guess since the outside wall penetration is there I just need to get the
vent there from the hood. I'll not be lazy on this one I guess...

Thanks...

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
et...
So I get this above range Microwave/hood. It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days worth of work. When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 10:37�am, "Scott Townsend" [email protected]
SPAMplease.enm.com wrote:
Dang, so it looks like we are split...

I guess since the outside wall penetration is there I just need to get the
vent there from the hood. �I'll not be lazy on this one I guess...

Thanks...

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message

et...

So I get this above range Microwave/hood. �It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days �worth of work. �When is a recirc venting okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-- Hide quoted text -

theres plastic flexible lines easy to install

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
theres plastic flexible lines easy to install

I'd not use plastic over a range though. Possibility of problems are
minimal, but why take a chance?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 22, 9:33*am, aemeijers wrote:
RBM wrote:
"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Absolute no-brainer in a rental unit. Outside vent a must. Always
imagine your renters are Neanderthals with little house training and
plan everything for that possibility. Too many landlords are cheap-
asses and then they whine about not making much money from their
property as it slowly deteriorates to the point where only riff-raff
and evictees from public housing will want to live there.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

SPAMplease.enm.com wrote:
Dang, so it looks like we are split...

I guess since the outside wall penetration is there I just need to get the
vent there from the hood. ?I'll not be lazy on this one I guess...

Thanks...

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message

. net...

So I get this above range Microwave/hood. ?It has 3 options for Venting,
top, back or re-circ... Re-circ?

So this ,ay save a few days ?worth of work. ?When is a recirc venting
okay
and when is it not?

The Range is in a 522 SqFt Rental Unit. Its a basic coiler burner
electric
unit.

Suggestions?

Scott-- Hide quoted text -

theres plastic flexible lines easy to install

I'm wondering what is over the stove now? A vent hood that goes to
the outside? When we did over our kitchen, we took down the original
vent fan - there is a round pipe that runs up through the cabinet to
the roof. The microwave had a place to vent it that fit the pipe. We
don't use the fan very much, even on high it isn't real powerful. But
it rarely is necessary. I cook so much in the microwave that I had
previously cooked on top of the stove that I don't need too much
venting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Its just a funny existing setup that I need to match the new unit to.

Out the back of the micro-hood(not top) and then a quick right wrote in message

I did that set-up when I did my kitchen over. It goes out of the back
between 2 wall studs, a short bend 90 up and through the roof.
Keep in mind you may need to remove the damper that comes with the
microhood or else it will block the vent when it opens. I think it
opens like 2 1/2 or 3". Since I had a short 90 in a 3 1/2" wall, the
damper blocks the duct, so I removed it, leaving only the flange part
on the microhood. I have a Broan roof cap with a damper, much better
than than the one on the microhood. This past winter I noticed no
issues with drafts or cold air coming in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There was a Hood with a 7" Round hole for the Vent right on the top. Then it
went Right 90 to the back wall. Then Left 90 to the vent that went out a
Side Wall.

So my issues is that I have to get that stupid rectangular to round adapter
and the 2 90's in place to match up with the Existing Vent. We are thinking
to do a vent out the back of the Micro hood, then right 90 up, then left 90
over, but it will end up looking like some funny 'S' shaped thing.

I hate hodge poge/jimmy-rig setups. I hate spending more money and time
then I have to for a rental too!

Scott-