Posted to alt.home.repair
RC RC is offline

Default Continual cleaning v/s Self Cleaning oven Which is better?

I use to have a Self Cleaning oven and I have to say I was very happy
with it. I would put it on the Auto Clean cycle and except for having
to replace the Lock once, it worked great. I don't recall it ever
failing to clean up a mess. I wouldn't do anything except use the
auto setting once or twice a year, then MAYBE sweep out the dust.

Then I moved to a home with a Continuous Cleaning Oven.
I didn't realize that me "I" was to be continuously clean the thing.
It looked bad when I got it and though I cleaned it (per directions),
it was soon back to a mess. It looks quite bad.

My question is, "Is this the common experience, or is mine the
exception?" I would like to hear from those of you that have had
experience with both.

Thank You.

RC
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RC" wrote in message
Then I moved to a home with a Continuous Cleaning Oven.
I didn't realize that me "I" was to be continuously clean the thing.
It looked bad when I got it and though I cleaned it (per directions),
it was soon back to a mess. It looks quite bad.

My question is, "Is this the common experience, or is mine the
exception?" I would like to hear from those of you that have had
experience with both.

Years ago we had a continuous clean oven. What a crappy idea. It was never
really clean. Go back to a self clean if you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"RC" wrote in message

Then I moved to a home with a Continuous Cleaning Oven.
I didn't realize that me "I" was to be continuously clean the thing.
It looked bad when I got it and though I cleaned it (per directions),
it was soon back to a mess. It looks quite bad.

My question is, "Is this the common experience, or is mine the
exception?" I would like to hear from those of you that have had
experience with both.

Years ago we had a continuous clean oven. What a crappy idea. It was never
really clean. Go back to a self clean if you can.

Was that the hting which supposes to absorb dirt or something. I don't
think they make it any more. Another idea did not pan out I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RC wrote:

My question is, "Is this the common experience, or is mine the
exception?" I would like to hear from those of you that have had
experience with both.

Continuous clean is a marketing joke. By putting a porous surface inside the
oven and hoping that cooking spills will eventually go away makes an oven even
harder to keep clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RC wrote:

-snip-
My question is, "Is this the common experience, or is mine the
exception?" I would like to hear from those of you that have had
experience with both.

Never had a 'continuous clean'- but back in the 70's during my short
life as an appliance salesman we used to refer to them as 'continuous
dirty'. Is yours an old one or are they still not ready for prime
time.

[I'm with you- I love the self cleaning. *That* was a good idea.]
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Comsumer reports give about the same report as you did. �Most are just not
happy witht he continuous cleaning ovens.- Hide quoted text -

self cleaning costs more but pays for itself overtime. ours is 11
years old and still works fantastic. i ran it on clean just a few days
ago

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RC" wrote in message
news
I use to have a Self Cleaning oven and I have to say I was very happy
with it. I would put it on the Auto Clean cycle and except for having
to replace the Lock once, it worked great. I don't recall it ever
failing to clean up a mess. I wouldn't do anything except use the
auto setting once or twice a year, then MAYBE sweep out the dust.

Then I moved to a home with a Continuous Cleaning Oven.
I didn't realize that me "I" was to be continuously clean the thing.
It looked bad when I got it and though I cleaned it (per directions),
it was soon back to a mess. It looks quite bad.

My question is, "Is this the common experience, or is mine the
exception?" I would like to hear from those of you that have had
experience with both.

My mother built a house with the built in continous cleaning oven and never
was happy with it. She had a stove that was about 20 years old from the old
house that she kep in the basement for canning. After a few years the old
stove looked cleaner than the new oven. Mother was very particular about
her stove being clean and hated the new oven.

My wife and I have always had the ovens you turn on the super heat and burn
off the grease and they look much cleaner than the other ovens we have seen.

Comsumer reports give about the same report as you did. Most are just not
happy witht he continuous cleaning ovens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
self cleaning costs more but pays for itself overtime. ours is 11
years old and still works fantastic. i ran it on clean just a few days
ago

***************************
We clean our more in the winter when the heat is helping keep the house warm
and avoid doing so in the summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Holly had written this in response to
http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/...er-295202-.htm
:
Hi!

A week ago Friday, my Sears Kenmore Continuous Self Cleaning Oven caught
on fire. It has worked faithfully for me ever since it was new 17 years
ago. My teenagers had cooked some pizzas the night before and a piece of
sausage fell to the bottom of the oven. It flamed up right by the leg that
held up the heating filament. The little leg had melted enough to allow
the burner to touch the bottom of the oven and I hadn't noticed it, and
they hadn't told me about the sausage. Long story short, when I put a slow
cooking roast in the next morning, by mid-day the burner had caught fire
and had gone far enough to render the oven useless due to the fact of its
age and the cost of replacing the part. The fire started because it was
touching the bottom of the oven in the place where the sausage had burned
and where the leg had melted down! It was not the fault of the oven. I
loved my oven. It was always clean.

All these years, all I have ever had to do is sometimes either sweep or
vacuum out the dust. That oven NEVER failed me.

All ovens require a certain amount of care when cooking so that foods
don't splatter and spill etc. while cooking. Most people who have really
dirty ovens do a lot of messy cooking that could be avoided if they would
use pans large enough to catch spits and pops.

If you do have a spill, or a cheesy mess, swab out the mess before it gets
baked on. If it gets baked on then you'll have a smoky mess during the
self clean cycle, and in a continuous clean oven, the smoke could affect
the food.

I have also had ovens that required me to use oven cleaners and scouring
pads. I would NEVER go back to that!

I now have purchased a new oven. It's a Maytag self cleaning oven with a
glass range top. The self-clean option has three settings. BUT I have to
set it to clean and have to remove the oven racks too. I think this will
be more work in the long run, and I will miss my old oven for its no-muss
no-fuss clean.

For me, the new Maytag's other points are what sold me. I love the size,
the nice look with no oven filament showing in the bottom - it's embedded
- and the oven cooks more evenly than my old one which required me to move
pans and turn meats etc.

As for the continuous self-clean vs. self clean -- common sense applies to
both ... don't get the oven SO dirty that it will smoke or flame. There
really is a certain amount of preventive care that serves every cook well.

Cover meats, don't let foil touch the sides of the oven. Never let any
food touch the sides of the oven. Clean out all large chunks of foods and
debris as soon as you know its there. My teens should have put a catch
plate under their pizza which they cooked on the rack. Never put the catch
pans on the bottom of the oven, just put it on the bottom rack directly
under the foods that might boil over or melt off...etc.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Best wishes, Holly

\//.
-------------------------------------
RC wrote:

I use to have a Self Cleaning oven and I have to say I was very happy
with it. I would put it on the Auto Clean cycle and except for having
to replace the Lock once, it worked great. I don't recall it ever
failing to clean up a mess. I wouldn't do anything except use the
auto setting once or twice a year, then MAYBE sweep out the dust.

Then I moved to a home with a Continuous Cleaning Oven.
I didn't realize that me "I" was to be continuously clean the
thing.
It looked bad when I got it and though I cleaned it (per directions),
it was soon back to a mess. It looks quite bad.

My question is, "Is this the common experience, or is mine the
exception?" I would like to hear from those of you that have had
experience with both.

Thank You.

RC

Delivered via http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Holly" wrote in message
I now have purchased a new oven. It's a Maytag self cleaning oven with a
glass range top. The self-clean option has three settings. BUT I have to
set it to clean and have to remove the oven racks too. I think this will
be more work in the long run, and I will miss my old oven for its no-muss
no-fuss clean.

Wow, how lazy can you get. Push a couple of buttons and take out the rack
in under 30 seconds.

The rack don't have to come out, but if you leave them in they discolor a
bit and don't slide as easily, but you can save 24 seconds every time you
set up the cleaning cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Sue wrote:
esp wrote:

"RC" wrote in message
Years ago we had a continuous clean oven. What a crappy idea. It was never
really clean. Go back to a self clean if you can.

We bought a cottage with an old continuous clean oven, and I LOVE it! Not
because it's so great with cleaning, but for this reason:

If you leave it on "preheat" instead of "bake", say at 350', both upper
and lower heating units click on to maintain temp. I LOVE this feature!
I use it for certain recipes, potatoes, veggies, anything I'm roasting
that I want to brown a bit also. Works great! You can get brown and
crispy on top and bottom.

Of course, gotta remember to switch over to just "bake" if it's a cake in
the oven. I need to replace my range at home, and can't find anything
that calls itself continuous clean anymore. Most newer ranges of course
will preheat, but once desired temp is reached, only lower unit engages.
I'd really like to find a range where I could maintain a steady temp and
have the heat coming from upper and lower unit heating coils.

Any advice? I don't want to pay a fortune for expensive convection oven.

Thanks,
Sue

Posted to alt.home.repair

esp wrote:

"RC" wrote in message
[...]

Continuous clean has a "catalytic" coating that burns off deposits
under normal temperatures.
Self clean heats to extreme temperatures to clean. Self cleaning ovens
are NOT designed to be used in a tight fitting space - they require an
inch or two of clearance on both sides. We pull ours out to run the
clean cycle (the few times we use the clean feature)

Go for the convection oven - the feature is NOT that terribly
expensive, and it is VERY usefull and actually uses less power to do
the same cooking job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

esp wrote:

"RC" wrote in message
[...]

They don't even make continuous cleaning oven.
Posted to alt.home.repair

esp wrote:

"RC" wrote in message
Years ago we had a continuous clean oven. What a crappy idea. It was never
really clean. Go back to a self clean if you can.

We bought a cottage with an old continuous clean oven, and I LOVE it! Not
because it's so great with cleaning, but for this reason:

If you leave it on "preheat" instead of "bake", say at 350', both upper
and lower heating units click on to maintain temp. I LOVE this feature!
I use it for certain recipes, potatoes, veggies, anything I'm roasting
that I want to brown a bit also. Works great! You can get brown and
crispy on top and bottom.

Of course, gotta remember to switch over to just "bake" if it's a cake in
the oven. I need to replace my range at home, and can't find anything
that calls itself continuous clean anymore. Most newer ranges of course

I don't think they make them, and I looked at least 4 years ago. I
liked mine, because you didn't have to do anything. There was nothing
you could do. Using oven cleaner or any kind of cleaning just ruins the
continuous cleaning surface

Of course it's never perfectly clean but it's never very dirty either.
I suppose one coudl gte it cleaner by running it for a while with
nothing in it. Or smething that never makes a mess, Bread?

I woudl still have mine if I hadn't set fire to it.

You could look on craig's list or better yet, list yourself on craig's
list as wanting to buy one.

That's how I replaced the one I set fire to**. I needed Harvest Gold
and within a couple days, someone called and sold me his. Looked like
new, Perfect. I don't know how they managed that. He said his
mother was compulsive. Nothing else would account for it. I would
have thought it *was* new but I found a tiny bit of dirt in a couple
corners. $100 iirc. This one has self-cleaning, which I do about
once a year. The model number gave a model that was entirely diffrernt,
but eventually, trial and error and looking for similar numbers, I found
a manual that fit this one.

**Actually the guy who sold me the oven found my ad because he was
looking for "fire" wood, and I mentioned the fire. By chance he wanted
to get rid of this oven, which was his second, that he got when his
mother moved out of her home. Though he said he was going to buy a
replacement, I don't know why.

will preheat, but once desired temp is reached, only lower unit engages.
I'd really like to find a range where I could maintain a steady temp and
have the heat coming from upper and lower unit heating coils.

Maybe you can you rewire whatever oven you have. It only requirs that
the switch be able to carry the current for both of htem. The
thermostat will work the same. And that the connection not be
permanent, that is, you don't want that any time you broil you also
bake, and that any time you bake you also broil. The solution to that
is a toggle switch, marked Both and Separate. You'd need a heavy dury
switch.. If it's double pole or more, connect them all in parallel.

If you wanted to be fancy, you could make it a push button and a relay,
so that every time you turned the oven off, evenif they were connected
to gether before the relay dropped out and you'd have to push the button
to make it be both again. This would also mean the heavy current would
have a shorter path but I don't thin that is significant. Others may
disagree. You'd need a heavy load relay that also won't be damaged by
the heat of the oven. They have them online. If it's double pole or
more, connect them all in parallel.

I rewired a room AC so it woud turn completely off, instead of just the
compressor, the fan too, just by moving three clips around, to rearrange
where the switch went. Here you ight need some oven wire, whatever
that is. And you wouldn't want to so c

Any advice? I don't want to pay a fortune for expensive convection oven.

Thanks,
Sue

Posted to alt.home.repair

esp wrote:

"RC" wrote in message
[...]

I am sure I just saw a Kenmore continuous clean oven advertised
recently - and GE too???
Posted to alt.home.repair

esp wrote:

"RC" wrote in message
[...]

self cleaning is the only way to go..... they are better insulated so more energy efficent. and although its not recommended i put my gas grill parts in my self cleaning oven on a short cycle, they look brand new when they come out.

once they go thru the self cleaning cycle i let them get cold, and put them in the dishwasher....
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/10/2015 11:06 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

They don't even make continuous cleaning oven.

Au contraire, ...
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-Cooking-Ranges-Electric-Ranges-Double-Oven-Electric-Ranges/Continuous-Clean/N-5yc1vZc3q5Z1z0ypvt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 9:46:01 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 8:59:01 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/10/2015 9:25 PM, wrote:

... Self cleaning ovens
are NOT designed to be used in a tight fitting space - they require an
inch or two of clearance on both sides. We pull ours out to run the
clean cycle (the few times we use the clean feature)

Not _necessarily_ true; the one here is in the cabinet row just as any
other; it has sufficient insulation that is in the owners manual to be
allowed. It's a 30+ yr old GE with also the microwave in the oven; no
longer available and will be sorely missed if it ever does give up the
proverbial ghost...

It's gone thru the cleaning cycle in situ any number of times during
that time with no issues.

--

Same here. I had an older 30" oven/microwave in a cabinet. I replaced
it with KitchenAid 36" dual ovens and had to rework the

This is an old farm house w/ small kitchen and no spare counter or
cabinet space--if the ability to house the microwave inside the oven
were to disappear, there's no practical place to put an additional
appliance...

--

There are cases where a built-in microwave can make sense, so
I see your point. The problem with built-in microwaves is that
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/11/2015 12:31 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I see your point. The problem with built-in microwaves is that
they are expensive, expensive to repair, they aren't any bigger/better
than a counter top one. ...

That's the point; this isn't what you're thinking of a second small
microwave unit; the unit is in the regular oven and so is as large as it
is (which is a full-size oven in a standard 30" free-standing range).

Thus it takes _zero_ extra space and can be used simultaneously with the
oven which makes things like baking potatoes and the like a dual-edged
sword...otoh, it does make just "nuking" a cuppa' coffee tougher if the
oven is in use for something else, but that's a compromise we've become
well adjusted to.

There is, afaik, nobody still making them (and I don't know that anybody
but GE ever did). Mom saw this one when she was substitute teaching in
home ec at the high school and it was the new dealer-supplied one in the
home ec kitchen.

I've stockpiled a replacement magnetron; other specific parts are
getting difficult or impossible owing to its age.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:41:40 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
[...]

I've never seen one of those, only the typical dual ovens where
you get one microwave, one regular oven.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/11/2015 2:06 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:41:40 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/11/2015 12:31 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I see your point. The problem with built-in microwaves is that
they are expensive, expensive to repair, they aren't any bigger/better
than a counter top one. ...

That's the point; this isn't what you're thinking of a second small
microwave unit; the unit is in the regular oven and so is as large as it
is (which is a full-size oven in a standard 30" free-standing range).

I've never seen one of those, only the typical dual ovens where
you get one microwave, one regular oven.

Not many have... I don't know how long they were in production; this
one was purchased in 1978 by the invoice date.

Posted to alt.home.repair

with such old microwave. put in a pitcher of water run it at full power, and check with a small fluroscent light bulb .........

if it lights you have a leak
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:59:38 -0500, dpb
wrote:

On 08/11/2015 2:06 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:41:40 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/11/2015 12:31 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I see your point. The problem with built-in microwaves is that
they are expensive, expensive to repair, they aren't any bigger/better
than a counter top one. ...

That's the point; this isn't what you're thinking of a second small
microwave unit; the unit is in the regular oven and so is as large as it
is (which is a full-size oven in a standard 30" free-standing range).

I've never seen one of those, only the typical dual ovens where
you get one microwave, one regular oven.

Not many have... I don't know how long they were in production; this
one was purchased in 1978 by the invoice date.

Yeah, I couldn't tell what you were talking about until I read several
posts.

So the oven door latches like a microwave door latches? And you can
run the microwaves at the same time you're broiling a steak, or baking a
cake? And they get microwaved too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 Aug 2015 08:01:18 -0500, dpb
wrote:

On 08/10/2015 11:06 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

They don't even make continuous cleaning oven.

Au contraire, ...
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances-Cooking-Ranges-Electric-Ranges-Double-Oven-Electric-Ranges/Continuous-Clean/N-5yc1vZc3q5Z1z0ypvt

That turns out to be listed as self-cleaniing, not contiuous. And
convection.

Google will do that, find a different word from what's asked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2015 8:35 AM, micky wrote:

So the oven door latches like a microwave door latches? And you can
run the microwaves at the same time you're broiling a steak, or baking a
cake? And they get microwaved too?

This week, a couple folks tried the self cleaning
feature on my church's electric range and oven. The
clouds of smoke set off the smoke detector.

I'm on the call list for when the alarm comes in.
The alarm company calls me.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:31:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/15/2015 8:35 AM, micky wrote:

So the oven door latches like a microwave door latches? And you can
run the microwaves at the same time you're broiling a steak, or baking a
cake? And they get microwaved too?

This week, a couple folks tried the self cleaning
feature on my church's electric range and oven. The
clouds of smoke set off the smoke detector.

I'm on the call list for when the alarm comes in.
The alarm company calls me.

LOL.

Well, I managed to poke a hole in one of the disposeable broiling trays,
without noticign it, and now there a big puddle of grease in the bottom
of my oven.

Should I just let the self-cleaning thng burn it away, or should I try
to spoon it out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2015 8:26 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:31:38 -0400, Stormin Mormon
I'm on the call list for when the alarm comes in.
The alarm company calls me.

LOL.

Well, I managed to poke a hole in one of the disposeable broiling trays,
without noticign it, and now there a big puddle of grease in the bottom
of my oven.

Should I just let the self-cleaning thng burn it away, or should I try
to spoon it out?

1) call fire department, and report oven fire.
2) use self cleaning function.
3) Stand by the street and point to the smoke column.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

Well, I managed to poke a hole in one of the disposeable broiling trays,
without noticign it, and now there a big puddle of grease in the bottom
of my oven.

Should I just let the self-cleaning thng burn it away, or should I try
to spoon it out?

Bernz O' Matic

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to RC, Ruth wrote:
I have had a continuous cleaning oven 43 years, I have never cleaned my oven,
and it looks great. No believes I have never cleaned it. I clean glass door
and racks that is all.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-295202-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2019 11:14 PM, Ruth wrote:
replying to RC, Ruth wrote:
I have had a continuous cleaning oven 43 years,Â* I have never cleaned my
oven,
and it looks great.Â* No believes I have never cleaned it.Â* I clean glass
door
and racks that is all.

Following up on an 11 year old thread, it is was that good they would
still be making them. I never like outs, glad it is long gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a continuous clean oven for 25 years it was a Kenmore I bought new in 1973 I never had to lean it just periodically take out the racks and clean them in the bathtub and of course clean the glass window but as far as the oven I was told not to use the store bought oven cleaners on it or sos because it would ruin the continuous clean coating on it but I loved it I have never had to clean an oven since I bought that stove now I have a self cleaning so guess Ill never have to lol

oven cleaning [email protected] UK diy 3 December 30th 07 09:48 AM
Self Cleaning Oven - Just Say NO!! Charles Pisano Home Repair 21 September 16th 06 04:23 PM
self cleaning oven Travis Jordan Home Repair 13 June 6th 06 02:07 AM
oven cleaning - the professional way? Keith \(Dorset\) UK diy 3 January 19th 06 11:09 AM
cleaning the oven - the profesional way? Keith \(Dorset\) UK diy 2 January 16th 06 06:16 PM