Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cordless drill opinion

I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at
http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bonniejean wrote:
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at
http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Not it but have two of "old-style" 18V Milwaukee Red -- _it_ I like a
lot and recommend highly. This one, not yet seen...

Posted to alt.home.repair

bonniejean wrote:

I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at
http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Haven't used that one, but it is hard to go wrong with milwaukee.
Here is a link to a test of 18 volt cordless drills from march
of last year. You might find some helpful info the

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=501521

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 8:23*am, bonniejean wrote:
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking athttp://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl*and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Milwaukee tools is now owned by a China Company as is Rigid Tool
Company. I use Dewalt and don't know who owns them, but you can't
beat DeWalt.
Don't buy a 3/8 inch drill motor but the 1/2 inch one. The 18 volt
DeWalt XRP 1/2 inch is commonly used by contractors and is the best on
the market.
Mine is made in Mexico. It is almost impossible to find tools made in
the USA. I have used my XRP for 8 hours on one battery charge for
installing metal roofing screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 20, 12:10*pm, Jerry wrote:

Milwaukee tools is now owned by a China Company as is Rigid Tool
Company. *I use Dewalt and don't know who owns them,

DeWalt is Japanese Black and Decker. It's pretty decent, maybe a
little crude compared to Milwaukee. Of the maybe 20 brands of tools in
my shop, Milwaukee and (are you ready for this?) Makita seem to get
the job done best, Bosch next, Hitachi, Panasonic (hard to find),
Porter Cable (sanders mostly), and down on the list Craftsman power
tools. Pretty high on the list, Craftsman's hand tools, made by
Danaher, the people that also make Matco professional tools. FWIW...

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 9:23*am, bonniejean wrote:
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking athttp://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl*and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Have you thought about getting one with a hammer feature for drilling
into concrete, just in case you have to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 1:09 pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Mar 20, 9:23 am, bonniejean wrote:

I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking athttp://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Have you thought about getting one with a hammer feature for drilling
into concrete, just in case you have to.

That would be real nice but I am interested in this particular drill
because of it's weight (light) and the fast charging battery. DeWalt
doesn't make one like that. Makita does but it doesn't seem to get as
good reviews as the Milwaukee. I have recurring carpel tunnel and a
regular weight drill makes my wrist ache.

I also have a small hand, even for a woman. In reading customer
reviews about this drill, women seem to really like it's small
outline. (My boyfriend bought me a "ladies" Glock 45 for my birthday.
Very very comfortable.)

But I don't think they make this "version" with the hammer feature.
Actually they don't make any other tools that will use this battery.
That is a negative but Milwaukee says they will be coming soon.

I knew a bunch of you guys would start in about this brand vs that
brand. ..makes me smile. But I'm not that much into the finer points.
Now if you wanted to talk about knitting...

bonnie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 11:23*am, bonniejean wrote:
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking athttp://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl*and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Its a nice drill if its the Li-Ion battery, Milwaukee has a new Li-Ion
12v minature drill driver out, if weight is a concern, it also fits in
your pocket. Ridgid has a new line of Li-Ion 18v and minature 12v.
Ridgid has a lifetime warranty even on batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bonniejean" wrote in message
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at
http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

No experience with Milwaukee, but --

Craftsman -- decent tool, but batteries die quickly and are expensive to
replace -- plus they have several different types of 18V batteries which are
not interchangable
Ryobi -- Light weight, but batteries don't hold charge for very long and
need to be swapped frequently
Ridgid -- Heavy tool, but batteries seem to provide power for extremely long
time, plus all parts (including batteries) have a life-time guarantee.

The biggest operating expense for cordless tools seems to be the replacement
batteries, so the Ridgid guarantee is important to me. I bought several of
their 18V tools and batteries (to always have charged ones on hand) and
if/when a battery can't be recharged I send it back to them and they send me
a free replacement. Regards --

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

As an electrician, all my power tools used to be Milwaukee, as they were the
standard in the industry... Then they became crap... I use mostly Dewalt
now.. and they're pretty much crap too, but hey, there are only so many
companies to choose from. Regardless of the make, I prefer 14 volt tools, as
they have pretty much the same power as 18 volts, but are lighter and more
manuverable. I just replaced one of my crap Dewalt driver drills with a
model DC730, which, despite being crap, is really nice and small and light,
certainly worth looking into

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in :

"bonniejean" wrote in message
.
..
[...]

aren't the lithium powered drills lighter for the same or even higher
voltages? And they have the useful benefit of not losing charge in storage
for up to 6 months,for those who only use them sporadically.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bonniejean" wrote in message

Have you thought about getting one with a hammer feature for drilling
into concrete, just in case you have to.

That would be real nice but I am interested in this particular drill
because of it's weight (light) and the fast charging battery. DeWalt
doesn't make one like that. Makita does but it doesn't seem to get as

Short charging time = short run time so make sure you have at least two
batteries.

Check out this Makita - doesn't weigh much at all:
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...t&tag=BDF452HW it doesn't have
the long-life battery that my Makita does, but it is much lighter and
according to the site, .5 pound lighter than the Milwaukee.

The hammer feature .... good thing you don't want it, you're not missing
much. If anyone wants to drill in concrete, they're better off with a true
hammer drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in :

[...]

Sure, but as yet they don't seem to have them for all the voltages. I'll
wait until Li-on is the only type available, then hopefully, they won't
cost lung to buy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 9:58*am, Joe wrote:
On Mar 20, 12:10*pm, Jerry wrote:

Milwaukee tools is now owned by a China Company as is Rigid Tool
Company. *I use Dewalt and don't know who owns them,

DeWalt is Japanese Black and Decker. It's pretty decent, maybe a
little crude compared to Milwaukee. Of the maybe 20 brands of tools in
my shop, Milwaukee and (are you ready for this?) Makita seem to get
the job done best, Bosch next, Hitachi, Panasonic (hard to find),
Porter Cable (sanders mostly), and down on the list Craftsman power
tools. Pretty high on the list, Craftsman's hand tools, made by
Danaher, the people that also make Matco professional tools. FWIW...

Joe

Funny how those China tools just disappear or break within the first
half hour. I guess us all American electricians just don't know how
to use them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 3:54*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote :

[...]

cost lung to buy- Hide quoted text -

If you wait till Liion is the only type offered you wont ever buy one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bonniejean" wrote in message
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at
http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Milwaukee has a good reputation for tools. For an 18V, that one is light.
Most 18V are too heavy unless you truly need the power. Often you can get
away with much less. I love my Panasonic 15.6V because of the size and
weight. If you decide to get it, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i have one of these from milwaukee - li-ion 18v hammer drill and it came
with an impact driver and two batteries for under $300 at toolup.com.
definitely liking it so far, though i haven't used the hammer function yet.
one thing to note about them is that they are heavier than some of their
counterparts. depending upon what you're using them for, that may be a
factor. the makita impact driver is nice, but the battery dies too quickly
because it's too small.
-c

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
On Mar 20, 9:23 am, bonniejean wrote:
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking
athttp://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Have you thought about getting one with a hammer feature for drilling
into concrete, just in case you have to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the li-ion batteries by milwaukee have an internal counter which count the
number of times the batteries have been charged. they are warrantied up to
2,000 charges so that's pretty damn good.
-c

"JimR" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 20, 3:54 pm, "RBM" wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote :

[...]

When everyone is screaming that they're the best thing since sliced bread...
I'll buy one

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message

[...]

them and they send me a free replacement. *Regards --- Hide quoted text -

HDs ridgid has a lifetime wattanty on the tool and batteries
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 5:57*am, "RBM" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Mar 20, 3:54 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

.. .

"RBM" wrote :

[...]

I'll buy one- Hide quoted text -

Today they are the best thing, but every so many years battery
technology gets better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default do you really need 18v one

For most stuff a good 12v drill is fine. I have a 12v Makita and it will
screw in about 50 3" deck screws on a charge. By then the spare battery is
recharged. 12v weighs less so it is less tiring to use.

"bonniejean" wrote in message
I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at
http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Mar 21, 5:57 am, "RBM" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Mar 20, 3:54 pm, "RBM" wrote:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

.. .

"RBM" wrote :

[...]

Unfortunately, despite a tremendous need, new battery technology seems
pretty slow. I use my driver drill virtually every day, and generally rotate
four batteries. The usable life, for me is about two years, which translates
to about six months per battery. It works out OK because in two years the
driver drill is toast, and I buy a new one and two additional batteries and
start over. If the Lion batteries are good for several thousand full
charges, I wouldn't have to buy the extra batteries. That's worth about $100
to me

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at
http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Look closely at the lithium-ion (Li-Ion) battery drills. These will be as
powerful (comparing like voltages, of course) as the NiMH and NiCd drills but
lighter.

Ryobi makes a nice tiny (green!) 12v drill for $80 I've seen at Home Depot.
Milwaukee and Rigit also make small drills.

I suggest looking at these before buying to see if they are a big advantage
for your (small) hands. :-)

Good luck,
FBt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote in
obal.net:

I'm in the market for an 18V cordless drill. I was looking at
http://tinyurl.com/2g9bkl and was wondering if anyone has it and
could give me their opinion.

Thanks,
bonnie jean

Look closely at the lithium-ion (Li-Ion) battery drills. These will be
as powerful (comparing like voltages, of course) as the NiMH and NiCd
drills but lighter.

One really nice feature of the Li-ion system is that it retains a charge
for many months in storage. The two other battery chemistries both have
self-discharge rates that deplete the pack by the next time you want to use
it,and then you have to spend an hour or more recharging a pack.

Ryobi makes a nice tiny (green!) 12v drill for $80 I've seen at Home
Depot. Milwaukee and Rigit also make small drills.

Ridgid,you mean.

I suggest looking at these before buying to see if they are a big
advantage for your (small) hands. :-)

Good luck,
FBt

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Warranty on Makita cordless drill / Starter drill kits emsee UK diy 18 August 14th 06 08:03 PM
opinion on Ryobi drill presses ? pogo Metalworking 9 February 25th 06 11:40 AM
Cordless drill Grunff UK diy 1 October 21st 05 08:30 PM
Cold heat cordless sodering gun opinion Scott Home Repair 5 October 7th 05 04:47 AM
Looking for a good cordless drill charger with drill wildbill Woodworking 12 July 13th 05 02:58 PM