DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/238956-question-about-installing-frigidaire-glcf386ds-gas-range.html)

Claude Balls March 19th 08 09:41 PM

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

See sketch he
http://www.geocities.com/claudeballsjr/range.html

This sketch shows the gas supply pipe coming from the wall as now is. I don't have the new range here and can't find info at frigidaire.com or from the dealer. I would like to know before the range is delivered if there is room inside the back of the range to accommodate this pipe and valve, or if I need to remove it and use a smaller one.

Problem is that the pipe will need to be cut off and I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks,
Claude

Speedy Jim[_2_] March 19th 08 10:27 PM

Claude Balls wrote:

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

See sketch he
http://www.geocities.com/claudeballsjr/range.html

This sketch shows the gas supply pipe coming from the wall as now is. I don't have the new range here and can't find info at frigidaire.com or from the dealer. I would like to know before the range is delivered if there is room inside the back of the range to accommodate this pipe and valve, or if I need to remove it and use a smaller one.

Problem is that the pipe will need to be cut off and I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks,
Claude

http://www.frigidaire.com/products/c...d_GLGF386D.asp
(was there a typo in your model # ?)

pick a model for the install .pdf

A quick look seems like there is a minimum of 2" clear space
from the wall if the stove is shoved hard against the wall.

Jim

mm March 20th 08 02:41 AM

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:41:42 GMT, "Claude Balls"
wrote:

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

See sketch he
http://www.geocities.com/claudeballsjr/range.html

This sketch shows the gas supply pipe coming from the wall as now is. I don't have the new range here and can't find info at frigidaire.com or from the dealer. I would like to know before the range is delivered if there is room inside the back of the range to accommodate this pipe and valve, or if I need to remove it and use a smaller one.

If the old stove fit well, I'll bet the new one will. Even if I
thought it woudlnt', I'd wait until the stove was delivered before I
started cutting things. It might fit anyhow. Surely you can be
without a stove for a day or two or more. There are microwave ovens,
camp stoves, campfires, fireplaces, restaurants. Plus you can connect
it with it sticking out a couple inches and disconnect it when you're
ready to modify the pipe.

Problem is that the pipe will need to be cut off and I'm trying to avoid that.

Then wait until you're certain it's necessary. If a drawing shows
the distance from the stove to the wall, it's going to show the
minimum distance, and your pipe might fit somewhere where the distance
is greater. There is no substitute for actually seeing something.

Thanks,
Claude

Mikepier March 20th 08 09:29 AM

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

I agree, wait until the stove actually arrives at the house. Or go
down to a local retailer who has the stove on the showroom and
measure. Most stoves have a "cavity" in the rear to accomodate pipes.
I don't know if it's 5" though.
Just out of curiosity, why does the pipe need to be cut for removal?
Is it threaded black pipe or something else?

Mikepier March 20th 08 12:04 PM

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

I just checked the Fridgidare link that Speedy Jim provided, and it
seems every model has the same rear chassis, which means only 2"
clearance. So the gas line will probably interfere.

Claude Balls March 21st 08 06:14 AM

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

Thanks, fellers!!

You're right - I found the installation manual online and the range back cavity is only 2-inches deep and 15-inches high. With the stub sticking out 5 inches (sorry ladies) and 22 inch up (better, eh ladies?), I'll be doing a little pipe work this weekend.

Claude Balls March 21st 08 06:17 AM

"Mikepier" wrote in message ...
I agree, wait until the stove actually arrives at the house. Or go
down to a local retailer who has the stove on the showroom and
measure. Most stoves have a "cavity" in the rear to accomodate pipes.
I don't know if it's 5" though.
Just out of curiosity, why does the pipe need to be cut for removal?
Is it threaded black pipe or something else?

Ah so.... closer look just now and it's garden variety black pipe. Doesn't look rusted or anything but it's been there for 45 years. Any danger of breaking it if I jump on a pipe wrench to break the connection loose - or should I use some kind of de-mystery-loose-ifier on it?

Mikepier March 21st 08 08:45 AM

Question about installing a Frigidaire GLCF386DS gas range...

On Mar 21, 1:17*am, "Claude Balls"
wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in ...
I agree, wait until the stove actually arrives at the house. Or go
down to a local retailer who has the stove on the showroom and
measure. *Most stoves have a "cavity" in the rear to accomodate pipes.
I don't know if it's 5" though.
Just out of curiosity, why does the pipe need to be cut for removal?
Is it threaded black pipe or something else?

Ah so.... closer look just now and it's garden variety black pipe. *Doesn't look rusted or anything but it's been there for 45 years. *Any danger of breaking it if I jump on a pipe wrench to break the connection loose - or should I use some kind of de-mystery-loose-ifier on it?

After you shut-off the gas supply, put a pipe wrench on it and give it
a shot with a hammer if need be. Spray some liquid wrench to help.