Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help Getting Rid of (Sheet Rock/Plaster) Dust in Basement

On Mar 19, 10:05*am, Bruce K. wrote:
My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

Thanks,

Bruce

Best was to cover everything with cheap plastic drops, if floor is not
carpet wash it, if it is get a new vac.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 11:05*am, Bruce K. wrote:
My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

If the floor is not carpeted, damp-mop it. Likewise dust the objects
with a damp rag. Rinse the mop and rag frequently.

Yes, it'll be a lot of work.

If the floor is carpeted, try to get a hold of a shop vac.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 8:05*am, Bruce K. wrote:
My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

Thanks,

Bruce

If the floor is tile, vinyl, hardwood that can be swept, use "sweeping
compound" - the oily sawdusty type if you cn find some. Used to be
common but I needed some for an oil spill last summer and I couldn't
find any in this town.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bruce K. wrote:
My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

A HEPA vacuum should work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.
There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the basement
below.
My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

Don't use any conventional vac to suck up drywall dust. It will damage the
motor (and most likely blow right back out the exhaust port).

With SOME vacs, you can BUY a special VAC FILTER/BAG MADE SPECIFICALLY
FOR DRYWALL DUST.

If the floor is not carpeted, damp-mop it. Likewise dust the objects
with a damp rag. Rinse the mop and rag frequently...Yep, thats it

If the floor is carpeted, try to get a hold of a shop vac.

Not unless the Shop Vac has a DRYWALL filter in it. The "Shop vac DRYWALL"
filter bags are YELLOW vs the Normal white.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

you can buy a shop vac pre seperator for drywall dust. basically, hose runs
through a bucket of water, which captures the dust. Haven't tried it
myself, but you may want to look into it
"Bruce K." wrote in message
My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

Thanks,

Bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 11:05 am, Bruce K. wrote:
My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

I bought a shop vac from Sears and put in one of their HEPA filters.
Works great. It even works with soot and ash.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 19, 2:54*pm, The Reverend Natural Light
wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:05 am, Bruce K. wrote:

My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

I bought a shop vac from Sears and put in one of their HEPA filters.
Works great. *It even works with soot and ash.

Been using Sears shop vacs for decades. IMO they have the best value
for the $$ out there. Drywall dust not a problem, vacuum it up and
clean the filter with your compressed air spritzer when it gets nasty.
They can be reused for many months in commercial service that way.
HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:05 am, Bruce K. wrote:

My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

I bought a shop vac from Sears and put in one of their HEPA filters.
Works great. *It even works with soot and ash.

Been using Sears shop vacs for decades. IMO they have the best value

Sears shop vacs are made by Shop-vac, and painted Sears colors.

I've never seen "drywall filter bags" as mentioned above, but I have
seen "find dust filter bags" or something like that. Recommended for
soot and I'm sure for drywall dust too.

But the smallest machines won't take this kind of bag. The outlet has
to be through the bottom container, not through the clip on top with
the motor. Of course this was a couple years ago, so I would make
sure before buying that the fine dust filter fit the vacuum I was
buying.

I ended up buying from Pep Boys, which also sells Shop-Vac and had the
biggest small model at the best price, only 10 dollars more than the
next one down. (they may have had two models. I bought the bigger
one, probably because fine dust filter bags wouldn't fit in the ohter
one.)

Lowes also sells Shop-Vacs, painted Lowes colors.

for the $$ out there. Drywall dust not a problem, vacuum it up and
clean the filter with your compressed air spritzer when it gets nasty.
They can be reused for many months in commercial service that way.
HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 19, 10:52*pm, mm wrote:

Sears shop vacs are made by Shop-vac, and painted Sears colors.

snip

Both my Sears shop vacs are made from solid molded red plastic, no
paint inside or out. Nothing in their catalog resembles Shop Vac
brand. I could be wrong...do you have any numbers to verify the
statement? Please enlighten us.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:17:48 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

On Mar 19, 10:52*pm, mm wrote:

Sears shop vacs are made by Shop-vac, and painted Sears colors.

snip

Both my Sears shop vacs are made from solid molded red plastic, no
paint inside or out.

I didn't mean *literally* painted. Sorry. I meant colored
plastic.

Nothing in their catalog resembles Shop Vac
brand.

I don't know about the catalog because I went to the store.

I could be wrong...do you have any numbers to verify the
statement? Please enlighten us.

Sears has its own numbers for everything, and doesn't make reference
to its makers' numbers anywhere afaicr. But there was no doubt in my
mind it was made by Shop-Vac. All the parts were the same design and
shape as one or another Shop-vac.

Also, Wal-Mart might have had models made by Shop-vac, in Wal-mart
colors.

No two stores of the 3 or 4, Lowes, Pep Boys, Sears, and maybe
Walmoart had the same models it seemed. I don't know if that is on
purpose, but I don't think it was an accident either. There were
differences in the size of the bucket, or whatever is called the place
where the sucked up stuff goes; differences in the HP of the motor,
differences in the warranty length, and differences in what
accessories were included. So even though I spent too much time
shopping, it was probably worth it, if only because I learned
something about marketing.

Shop-Vac is made in Pennsylvania, and their customer service is great.
They sent me some small thing for free and it came only 2 to 4 days
after I called. I'm not positive that would be true if I went
through Sears, and I don't remember if Lowes or Walmart called them
Shop-vacs or if they rebranded them.

Pep-Boys called them Shop-vacs.

Interestingly, Lowes sold the simple paper replacement filters 3 to a
bag with a heavy plastic retaining ring like the one that came with my
first small Shop-vac, but Walmart sold them 2 or 3 to a bag with only
a thick rubber band. I guess almost everyone still has their plastic
ring, so the rubber band is cheaper.

HD sells Ridgid, but I think has replacment bags for Shop-vac also.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 19, 2:13*pm, "joe" wrote:
you can buy a shop vac pre seperator for drywall dust. *basically, hose runs
through a bucket of water, which captures the dust. *Haven't tried it
myself, but you may want to look into it.

It's called a Magna Sand and IMO it is just short of fantastic for
keeping SWMBO calmed down about the dust from DIY drywall projects.
Comes with a screen sander that gets sucked down flat on the wall and
makes the work way far easier. Best $40 I spent at Menards in years
given the hassles it eliminated. One word of advice...pulling the
sanding dust through the water works great, but drywall compound has
other additives that generate a lot of foam. This can be totally
killed by sprtizing a shot of Pam cooking spray into the catch water.
Tried silicone which is usually a good defoamer, but nowhwere near as
effective as Pam. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:05:16 -0500, Bruce K. wrote:

My kitchen is going through a renovation and they are tearing down the
walls and ceiling.

There is a fine dust residue all over the floor and stuff in the
basement below.

Whats the best way to vaccuum up the floor and other small items.

My regular vaccuum cant handle the fine dust.

Thanks,

Bruce

Well, I'm sure it's done now, but I'll reply anyway. I bought one of
those cheap 1 gallon shop vacs when my sheetrock was done, and attached a
long (25' or so) hose to it. Took the filter out, ran the hose out the
window and blew the dust outside. Then chunked what was left of the poor
vac. Cost me a grand total 20 bucks and worked wonders, except for the
snow in the back yard

Attaching sheet rock MiamiCuse Home Repair 18 August 1st 07 08:20 PM
Sheet rock Tc DiVincenzo Home Repair 10 April 21st 06 01:30 AM
Sheet rock repair yaofeng Home Repair 8 November 4th 05 05:18 AM
basement ceiling sheet rock over gas/water lines superspongegirl Home Repair 10 October 31st 05 05:16 PM
sheet rock behind stucco Pablo Home Repair 3 April 26th 04 02:16 AM