Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freezer Lid Problem

I have a very large chest freezer, possibly around 25cf (really big) that
is not staying open. When I tighten the springs it will stay up, but also
will not close. My guess is that the springs are weak and need replacing.
Does this sound right to you? One side of the lid is also bent at the
hinge and the hinge is pulling the lid back from the edge. Could this be
the problem instead?

Mike D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 8:33�am, Mike Dobony wrote:
I have a very large chest freezer, possibly around 25cf (really big) that
is not staying open. �When I tighten the springs it will stay up, but also
will not close. �My guess is that the springs are weak and need replacing.
Does this sound right to you? �One side of the lid is also bent at the
hinge and the hinge is pulling the lid back from the edge. �Could this be
the problem instead?

Mike D.

yep its the bent hinge, fix that first

do you really need that large a freezer?

might be better off buying a small chest freezer, a new one will save
a lot of money on energy espically if you downsize
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mar 19, 8:33�am, Mike Dobony wrote:
I have a very large chest freezer, possibly around 25cf (really big) that
is not staying open. �When I tighten the springs it will stay up, but
also
will not close. �My guess is that the springs are weak and need
replacing.
Does this sound right to you? �One side of the lid is also bent at the
hinge and the hinge is pulling the lid back from the edge. �Could this be
the problem instead?

Mike D.

yep its the bent hinge, fix that first

do you really need that large a freezer?

might be better off buying a small chest freezer, a new one will save
a lot of money on energy espically if you downsize

It could also be that you have ice build-up inside the lid making it too
heavy for the springs to hold it open. I've just been through this myself
and it wasn't easy to get a repair.

--
Ron P

If we are what we eat then: I'm fast,
cheap and easy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:32:51 -0400, Worn Out Retread wrote:

wrote in message
On Mar 19, 8:33�am, Mike Dobony wrote:
I have a very large chest freezer, possibly around 25cf (really big) that
is not staying open. �When I tighten the springs it will stay up, but
also
will not close. �My guess is that the springs are weak and need
replacing.
Does this sound right to you? �One side of the lid is also bent at the
hinge and the hinge is pulling the lid back from the edge. �Could this be
the problem instead?

Mike D.

yep its the bent hinge, fix that first

Actually it is the lid that is bent and that requires a new lid.

do you really need that large a freezer?

might be better off buying a small chest freezer, a new one will save
a lot of money on energy espically if you downsize

Yes, we need that big a freezer. It is usually full

It could also be that you have ice build-up inside the lid making it too
heavy for the springs to hold it open. I've just been through this myself
and it wasn't easy to get a repair.

It is empty now and is not dripping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mar 19, 8:33�am, Mike Dobony wrote:
I have a very large chest freezer, possibly around 25cf (really big) that
is not staying open. �When I tighten the springs it will stay up, but
also
will not close. �My guess is that the springs are weak and need
replacing.
Does this sound right to you? �One side of the lid is also bent at the
hinge and the hinge is pulling the lid back from the edge. �Could this be
the problem instead?

Mike D.

yep its the bent hinge, fix that first

Actually it is the lid that is bent and that requires a new lid.

do you really need that large a freezer?

might be better off buying a small chest freezer, a new one will save
a lot of money on energy espically if you downsize

Yes, we need that big a freezer. Â*It is usually full

It could also be that you have ice build-up inside the lid making it too
heavy for the springs to hold it open. I've just been through this myself
and it wasn't easy to get a repair.

It is empty now and is not dripping.- Hide quoted text -

i bet a new lid costs more than a new fridge assuming parts are even
available